Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that the Phaeton is all but finished, I have nothing to tinker on during long weekends and spare time. So I've been casually looking around for another wounded beauty to beckon. I might have found her, a Firethorn red '79 Coupe DeVille with a red interior and white landau. actually it's been sitting around for a year and a half, I drive by and think what it could look like. It's at a local redneck used car dealership, so today I stopped in and had a close look at it. Definitely rough, but do-able. If I get it cheap enough I might flip it, or just hang onto it for awhile. The guy I talked to is a Cadillac lover, so when a couple of inbreds came in a month ago asking to use it in a demo-derby he said no. But I guess he likes me or something.. anyway, said it'll start with a battery and some gas, we'll see about that. He's asking $500, but I think I might offer 3 100 bills and drive away. If it won't start, that's another story. I checked the chassis and it looks solid, the body has no real cancer, just some surface rust.

The interior is the best part, I think the leather must have been redone at some point, because it's amazingly smooth looking without a single crack. Only problem is the top of the back seat is ripped and shriveled from the sun beating down on it for years without end. But the headliner is still up, original mats, good fake wood, no wetness.

There was also a black on black '79 sitting near it, but that's waaay to far gone, the ass hole left it to sit over a year with no driver's side window... the interior is dead. But I took pics anyway.

So, the red one has - I'm guessing - 133,000 on it, and I'm attracted to it. I probably wouldn't do a full restoration, but just make it a nice car within reason.

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so I'll let these talk. It really isn't as bad as it looks, just dirty. And that isn't cancer by the landau.

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
awww thatblack one woulda been a beauty i hate seeing stupidity but the red one doesn t seem so bad i go full out red on red replace that crappy roof with a red one..........nice find tho hope all works out.........

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
You should just change your screen name to 1979. :p

I like it, pick it up. I'm bored so I'm thinking about buyin' a Benz!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You haven't seen the interior on the black one....

Oh, and that isn't a hole by the landau.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville
414 Posts
I was mowing grass yesterday and coming down the road was a '79 Phaeton. It was in pretty rough shape, but it was movin' on at around 60mph. Same color as yours Ben, but the paint was pretty much shot. I gave the guy a thumbs up as he sped on by. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, yeah that's my review.

Cool that you saw a Phaeton, I've only seen one other than mine in person, a beat-to-shit silver '78 with 250,000 and still going strong towing a boat for it's master.

I really like the red & white, I'll probably keep it those colors. Kinda reminds me of Christine... I'll have to get a '78-'79 California plate with CQB-241 on it.

I'm getting serious with that red one, I'm going by tomorrow to start it and work something out. I get the feeling a lot of you don't quite see it in the light that I do, but I'll make her shine again, with some of these as my motivation.

I actually created a whole file for red tri-year coupes on my computer. I think it's really a striking combo.

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
lol your pasion is like mine ever since ive settled on finding a early 80's coupe every day thats all i been looking at i finally found a brown on brown velour that ill be grabbing at the beginning of september...with plans of painting her black with brown halfroof and doing a brown and black interior in leather she only has 105 doesn t burn oil and is costing me 900.00 plus its a 1 owner

·
Registered
1987 Brougham 1978 Seville
254 Posts
I like em both. Maybe you should offer 5 bills for both of them. I then you could have your black with the red interior. I am looking for a 76 Fleetwood sedan to go with my new 76 Fleetwood C stillion wagon

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Caddyshack - that brown & black sounds sharp! Then you need to buy a Doberman and have him lay by it at shows.

CaddymanTom - that's not a bad idea, except he doesn't want to sell the black one for a reasonable price. Plus if I wanted a black & red one I could get one in mint condition right now for $5,500, and that would just make more sense. But I need something I can tinker on, yet not fully restore. Ahh I don't know, I just like it!

·
Registered
79 coupe deville d'elegance (76k og), 84 coupe deville
114 Posts
yeah the red one is deffinately the better buy. the black one needs to be tore down and donated to other lacs that need the parts! good find.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,842 Posts
Ben, that rust under the landau will be a hole by the time you get the vinyl off and get it ground down. Not a difficult fix for a competent body shop, which you have a good connection at.

So, it needs:
- fillers
- body
- paint
- new top
- rear bumper
- steering wheel (?)
- hubcaps (from the black one)
- tires (D IVs, no doubt)

Maybe three grand total (if you use the same shop). Sounds worth it to me...

Jason.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You and I are on the same channel, lol.

I think there might be enough metal left under there to grind down without having a hole, it looks like a newer problem that hasn't been sitting too long, to me. And yeah, I could probably get all the bodywork done and a niiice paint job for under $1,500 going with the same guy that did my Phaeton. A new top around here runs about $500, decent rear bumper for maybe $200, the steering wheel is fine, just dirty, guy probably wouldn't sell me those caps, maybe dopestar? Tires on there will do for now, but will probably be replaced within a year. So yeah, not that bad.

.... just gotta make sure it'll run first.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,842 Posts
It'll run, no problem. Just pour some fresh gas (a trickle) down the carb, and it will light off right off right away. I do this with my carb cars when I start them in the spring, and they start within 2 seconds of key turn. It is hard for a mechanical pump to bring gas all the way from the tank. As soon as you start it, check the carb to make sure the float isn't stuck.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I'm just a little worried that the gas has turned, I mean a year and a half is a long time.

I'm grateful that I also have a mechanic that works miracles with quadrajets, this thing will purr soon enough.

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
how much gas is in there? im sure a lil additive wouldn t hurt lol......i gotta say tho this is a good buy for you cuz if i had the phaeton it would be glaring me in the face to drive it daily so if u can get this to respectable condition but be able to beat it up i say go for it ........

1 - 20 of 49 Posts