Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget it. I don't know what the deal is.. I suppose it's great for the average person who just opens one or two tabs and is done with it. I have 10 tabs opened in each of two windows, sometimes a few more in a third window - and IE7 just cannot handle it. The browser constantly crashes on me.

So I'm back to Firefox.. Anyone else frustrated with IE7? I can't believe I used to be such a Microsoft Advocate. Over the past year, I've been noticing how terrible they really are. My cell phone uses Windows Mobile 5 and it's practically useless.. The Windows Vista joke makes me want to abandon ship altogether and move to Macintosh...

</rant>

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I stopped using IE years ago because I just had too damn many popups coming up. I switched over to Mozilla then and never looked back. Sometimes I have 3-4 tabs open and it works just fine. With the IE I have at work (an older version) I don't even have tabs, so I've gotta have 3-4 windows open at any given point, and what a cluster**** that is....I hate how MS groups all of the IE's together after you open more than 4 up so you've gotta click on the icon, and then have that expand so you can find the window you want.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
On a sidenote... Why arent the tooltips with the header content of a given thread popping up anymore when I hover my mouse over a thread? Ive tried it in three different forums and they arent popping up anymore. It saves time from having to click into the thread.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Thats strange, Ive tried it in multiple forums on two different machines here at work and the little box isnt coming up anymore, yet in other boards using vbulletin it does.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I think IE7 is a waste. The menu structure sucks. And I dont know, maybe its me, but how the hell to open a file? I cant find the open command anywhere.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Yea thats it, in IE6 im not getting them on a few different computers. I guess ill blow the dust off Firefox and try it there.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
by the way, i was researching some stuff on the internet a while back, and I had at least 40 open windows in Firefox with nary a problem...

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
@Jimmy

In IE7, hit ALT, then click view, then toolbars, then Menu Bar. It will stay up for you. Personally I like it gone since I don't use those options very much.

Hey Sal it could be something else on your comp, then again it could be IE7. I've had both IE7 and Firefox on my system act up. Random crashes, hanging, etc. I think my comp is due for a wipe and clean.

But so far IE7 has given me less problems then Firefox in just click and surf, specially since most sites support IE off the bat.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Forget it. I don't know what the deal is.. I suppose it's great for the average person who just opens one or two tabs and is done with it. I have 10 tabs opened in each of two windows, sometimes a few more in a third window - and IE7 just cannot handle it. The browser constantly crashes on me.

So I'm back to Firefox.. Anyone else frustrated with IE7? I can't believe I used to be such a Microsoft Advocate. Over the past year, I've been noticing how terrible they really are. My cell phone uses Windows Mobile 5 and it's practically useless.. The Windows Vista joke makes me want to abandon ship altogether and move to Macintosh...

</rant>
I sometimes keep 5 windows open with no problem. 3.46 chip and 1.5 gig of mem. IE 7 is a little buggy, but no lock ups.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I only have a couple of HR websites I have to use from time to time that dont support Mozilla, other than that, IE can suck my big -------

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
I stopped using IE years ago because I just had too damn many popups coming up. I switched over to Mozilla then and never looked back. Sometimes I have 3-4 tabs open and it works just fine. With the IE I have at work (an older version) I don't even have tabs, so I've gotta have 3-4 windows open at any given point, and what a cluster**** that is....I hate how MS groups all of the IE's together after you open more than 4 up so you've gotta click on the icon, and then have that expand so you can find the window you want.
You can easily turn that off. Right click on the taskbar --> properties --> uncheck group simiar task buttons

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Been a Mac driver for more than 15 years - still keep a pc handy for those times that I've been a bad, bad boy & deserve to be punished severely...:alchi:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I must have freakish computers. Of course 3 of the 4 I use on a regular basis... I built.
The other is a pre-fab HP.
All of them work flawlessly, and all of them have XP SP2 with IE7 and all the latest windows updates.
I use them along with Live One Care.
No problems here, sometimes I have 20 tabs open in IE7, multiple windows and it works fine.
At work I start with 5 homepage tabs and just leave it open all day.

In fact the only real computer problem I have had recently was because our building took a lightning strike and one of my Ethernet cards got hit and stopped working.
The computer was protected but our network wasn't.
I got a new card and now it is back up.
(although I have to do some stuff to it, like update some passwords that changed and fix the one care subscription)

I don't have many other apps loaded on my computers though. This one has lots of programs but I rarely use anything but quicken, real arcade, IE7 and email software.
Maybe one of your other applications causes it to be glitchy? At any rate, I'd recommend using whatever works best.
I used to use other browsers but I got tired of watching for updated versions and having issues with some of the web stuff I use not being supported by GM.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts