Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
I was able to drop 25-30# by dropping 2 Cokes per day (I do miss them). Unfortunately I put 10 of it back since I quit smoking 7 weeks ago. :mad: I'm trying to hold the line and loose that if I can.
I had totally missed that...

Good for you Ranger... That's fantastic! Did you go cold turkey?

I tried last year and all was going well for a while, but needless to say I hit a wall and have been at one a day since. Which still isn't "good" of course, but is far better than I was a year ago...

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Work on an Air Force Base. All the miles/day you walk alone, just from your car to your building, between buildings, heck even within your building (they are big buildings) and you'll start shedding the weight.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
Yeah, cold turkey. Just got pissed at myself and did it. Quitting is a piece of cake. I've done it a hundred times. Staying quit is another story. Why this one stuck (so far) I'll never know. I'm waiting and praying for the day when I no longer think about it or miss it. There are time when I would really like one. I have always enjoyed a good cigar and still have several in my humidor, but I'm afraid to lite one up. It may sabotage my efforts.

If I could stay at one a day, I would savor it and never even try to quit. How you do that is beyond me. :worship:

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
There is always bulimia... :ack:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
i've lost over 100 pounds...here's my tips

1. skip the fads..no pills, no weird plans where you eat only certain things or prepackaged meals.
2. drink lots and lots of water.
3. exercise...I just walked...started out with 1/4 mile and work my way up to about 3 to 5 miles a day.
4. there's a lot of prepackaged foods out their geared marketed as low-fat and low-calorie, but I have found that I do the best when I eat as naturally as possible and eat mostly unprocessed foods. Make sure you eat lots of whole grains and veggies and get at least 35 grams of fiber a day.
5. focus on losing weight gradually..no more than a couple of pounds a week..more than that and it's likely to just come right back.
6. It's really a pretty basic formula - there are websites that can help you with this..but typically 1 pound = 3500 calories..so to lose a pound, you have to figure out how to subtract those 3500 calories
I'm having trouble unloading ten. You are my hero. :worship:

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Congratultions, Ranger, on your success at giving up smoking! Just remember "one day at time without smoking" beats "I'm going to stop smoking tomorrow" every time!

I was able to stop smoking two and a half years ago. I certainly still have an occasional desire for a cigarette. My friends and doctors tell me the desire never goes away ...... that even after twenty years they still get an urge to light up. I wasn't able to stop smoking when the doctors first told me that I had COPD Emphysema so now that I have stopped I am not getting the benefits that one would normally get from quitting smoking. So what ever you do keep making every day a successful "I gave up smoking day" and enjoy the benefits of being a non-smoker.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
Funny you should say that. When I got pissed and decided to quit, my wife said "Let's do it tomorrow". I think that gave me the resolve to do it now. I knew that meant it would never happen.

I have always said an ex smoker is like an alcoholic. Always recovering, and it only takes one to start again. After a couple of martini's it would be soooo easy right now. THANKS SO MUCH for the encouragement.

Don't mean to hijack this thread from Jesda.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Dammit, and I was going to say Cigarettes and Amphetamine! The way everyone did it in the 50s! Well it works, doesn't it? :alchi:
Seriously though, only one dude said lifting the ol' dumbells a bit, and that's great. Not even the gymnasium; just grab a set and do reps while watching TV or whatever. The extra strenght is nice too, you'll wander around going "When did this get so light?"

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I need to gain weight dammit. I am 6'4" tall and weigh 140. I am the definition of a stick. I eat like crazy too, between 2000 - 4000 calories a day depending on what activities I am doing.

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
I'm having trouble unloading ten. You are my hero. :worship:
Yeah, but it took me years to do it. Lose 20 pounds..gain 8 back, lose another 20 pounds, gain 5 pounds back..but guess if you chart it all out..it works out in the long run - that's where the patience and perseverence comes in handy.
I gained a bunch when I quit smoking..about 4 years ago now. I was at 1 to 2 packs a day for 20 + years. The first year I did really miss it..now I don't. I can't even stand being around it or smelling it or even looking at it.

Especially with prices going up, I'm sure glad I quit. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $50 than on a carton of cigarettes..like cute shoes.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Everything. I usually have Subway for lunch because we have on in the store. For breakfast I eat two - three bowls of cereal, everything from Apple Jacks to Raisin Bran to Honey Bunches of Oats depending on what my Mom buys, with 2% milk. Dinner is either Hot Pockets if I am working or whatever my Mom makes for dinner when I am off.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
A lot has to do with age. When I was your guys age I ate a side of beef a day and was 6'2" and 165# and never gained an oz. Things change as you age. Now, I'm not fat (still 6'2", and 215#) but I'd like to drop 5 or 10.

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
How about this: congratulations and good luck to those who have made, or plan to make, a positive change in their life!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am with you Ranger.
When I was teens and twenties I was a walking vacuum cleaner. I ate anything and everything as much as I wanted whenever I wanted. My mom used to joke that I only ate one meal a day, it started when I got up and stopped when I went to bed. I drank soda like it was free and was stuck at about 150 pounds at 6' tall.
Not sure exactly when all that changed but it all started sticking somewhere along the way.

Now I feel like I hardly eat anything, where I used to eat an entire large pizza now I am stuffed after 2 slices. I still have a tendency to eat everything that is put in front of me but it hurts my stomach a lot more now than it did before. Guess it is becoming inflexible. I think I was more active then but I am not sure, I am still pretty active. This job keeps me standing, walking, and tossing weight around all day.
Technically even though I have a few extra pounds still I am in better shape than I have ever been in my life.

The only annoying part is that my uniforms are getting really baggy and it drives me crazy! :lol:

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Ok. There are is a problem using exercise to lose weight--it increases your appetite! The exception is extreme exercise, but increasing walks here and there, not going to make a big difference if at all.

Calories in vs. calories out -- not quite true -- since the body regulates metabolism and thyroid function based on these in order to prevent weight loss. What I mean is if you start eating 1500 calories (say 1000 kcal less than usual), in a few weeks you will lose weight, but then you'll stop losing.

Think of all the people who have gastric bypass and stall overweight (but about 100 lbs less than their hyperobese original weight).

So how then? what is the problem?

The answer is simple--insulin excess is the problem. Insulin is a fat-storage hormone. Someone overweight has more insulin than someone at normal weight. If you lower insulin levels, you will allow the body to use fat for energy. Think of a type I diabetic (insulin-dependent)... they are skinny as rails because they cannot store fat (unless they inject insulin).

How do you lower insulin? lower your carbohydrate intake. Cutting out sodas was a great idea, cutting out juice is just as effective, cutting out starch is equivalent too.

Complex carbs vs simple? phooey. 1 potato turns into 1/2 cup of sugar.... and even whole grain toast begins to turn into sugar in the mouth when saliva comes into contact with it.

Eat under 50 (preferrably under 30) carbs a day from all sources, and you will start dropping weight like crazy. Once a week or every couple of weeks, eat lots of high calorie low carb foods (like eating a big fatty grilled steak), and this caloric excess will trick your body from slowing down metabolism (you don't stall the weightloss).

You could do this with fast food too. Look up the movie "Fat Head: The Movie" it's on Amazon and I think Border's. It's the anti-supersizeme movie. You'll probably like it. Tom loses weight and improves his lipid profile while eating only fast food.

Ranger: congrats on quitting the smokes. I know you like steak. This works for you too. Don't listen to "you need carbs" advice. It's bogus. Your liver can make all the blood sugar your body needs. If it weren't true what would our hunter gatherer ancestors have done in the winter without plants and grains? We wouldn't be here is the short answer.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
I am with you Ranger.
When I was teens and twenties I was a walking vacuum cleaner. I ate anything and everything as much as I wanted whenever I wanted. My mom used to joke that I only ate one meal a day, it started when I got up and stopped when I went to bed. I drank soda like it was free and was stuck at about 150 pounds at 6' tall.
Not sure exactly when all that changed but it all started sticking somewhere along the way.
It's called insulin resistance. In a nutshell the pancreas must produce more in order to keep your blood glucose within range. Some one weighing in at 300 could have a fasting insulin level of 200 units whereas someone slim could have a level of 5... both with identical glucose. The problem is when the insulin resistance gets worse and then one day your pancreas is unable to produce enough to keep the glucose in check... then you are officially a diabetic.

You can reduce insulin resistance the same way as to lose weight--cut out the starches and the sugars. No matter if they're whole grain or not... they're starches and they will convert to sugar. fiber is the exception because it is not absorbed so it's not a starch.

Insulin resistance brings about "metabolic syndrome" as was originally named "syndrome X" by Gerald Reaven

Mayo Clinic said:
Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Having metabolic syndrome means you have several disorders related to your metabolism at the same time, including:

Obesity, particularly around your waist (having an "apple shape")
Elevated blood pressure

An elevated level of the blood fat called triglycerides and a low level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol — the "good" cholesterol

Resistance to insulin, a hormone that helps to regulate the amount of sugar in your body

Having one component of metabolic syndrome means you're more likely to have others. And the more components you have, the greater are the risks to your health.
All of this is usually corrected when you regain insulin sensitivity (by cutting back on carbs). Or worsens when it gets to the point of diabetes.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
Now I'm really confused. :bonkers: I don't know a carb from a calorie. I do know a good steak when I taste one though.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,138 Posts
Have somebody haul you about twenty miles from home and leave you alongside the road without your wallet. About three times a week works great. Soon you'll be as hard as nails.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts