Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I lost 10 lbs from just being poor... So Jesda, if you just give me your money I'm sure you'll loose weight in no time!!!

Just kidding. :p
Oh man, in 2002 there was a long period where I made $700/mo. I have NO IDEA how I survived with the cost of rent, insurance, food, etc. I lost 25lbs in a month!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I know a hotel in Samara Russia that is many blocks from any restaurants and has no good food in it.
I lose 5 pounds a week when I stay there.
I can give you the address if you want.

Congrats to Ranger on the smoking cessation!

Nik, I am not sure I believe you lost 40 pounds but I wouldn't dare call you a liar!
:lol:

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
I was able to drop 25-30# by dropping 2 Cokes per day (I do miss them). Unfortunately I put 10 of it back since I quit smoking 7 weeks ago. :mad: I'm trying to hold the line and loose that if I can.
Way to go Ranger. I quit a few years ago but occasionally I do miss those delicious lung rockets.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Nik, I am not sure I believe you lost 40 pounds but I wouldn't dare call you a liar!
:lol:
I'll have to find some fat pictures of me... I was around 190 lbs and I'm now 143-145 lbs my soccer playing weight. :)

Congrats on quitting smoking Ranger! My mom used to smoke and hasn't for 21 years. :) So if she can do it, you can too! Plus you'll live longer :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,768 Posts
Congrats on quitting smoking, Ranger. :highfive:

^^x2. Congrats!

Jesda: Try working out an take ALLI. Trust me, it keeps you honest. Eat too much fat and take it, bad side effects. I get it at Sam's club. I workout 5 times a week, hard, but had just reached a stall in losing weight. Added the ALLI into the mix, and weight started to drop again. I take it now occasionally to maintain, as I hit my goal. It is not an appetite suppresant. Google it. :)

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
I heard about that. My question is, why was the 19-y/o's death not reported until 2009, when he died in 2007?

In any case, I'm keeping an eye on my health. I don't notice any problems right now. After this bottle, though, I'm switching over to something else. Does anyone know anything that doesn't cause that kind of trouble?

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
i've lost over 100 pounds...here's my tips

1. skip the fads..no pills, no weird plans where you eat only certain things or prepackaged meals.
2. drink lots and lots of water.
3. exercise...I just walked...started out with 1/4 mile and work my way up to about 3 to 5 miles a day.
4. there's a lot of prepackaged foods out their geared marketed as low-fat and low-calorie, but I have found that I do the best when I eat as naturally as possible and eat mostly unprocessed foods. Make sure you eat lots of whole grains and veggies and get at least 35 grams of fiber a day.
5. focus on losing weight gradually..no more than a couple of pounds a week..more than that and it's likely to just come right back.
6. It's really a pretty basic formula - there are websites that can help you with this..but typically 1 pound = 3500 calories..so to lose a pound, you have to figure out how to subtract those 3500 calories

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
i've lost over 100 pounds...here's my tips

1. skip the fads..no pills, no weird plans where you eat only certain things or prepackaged meals.
2. drink lots and lots of water.
3. exercise...I just walked...started out with 1/4 mile and work my way up to about 3 to 5 miles a day.
4. there's a lot of prepackaged foods out their geared marketed as low-fat and low-calorie, but I have found that I do the best when I eat as naturally as possible and eat mostly unprocessed foods. Make sure you eat lots of whole grains and veggies and get at least 35 grams of fiber a day.
5. focus on losing weight gradually..no more than a couple of pounds a week..more than that and it's likely to just come right back.
6. It's really a pretty basic formula - there are websites that can help you with this..but typically 1 pound = 3500 calories..so to lose a pound, you have to figure out how to subtract those 3500 calories
I have this habit of buying a lot of oranges and bananas. For my grains, I go for multigrain crackers. As far as water, I tend to burn about a gallon and a half to two gallons a day. Wearing a polyester uniform and patrolling all day makes you thirsty!

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
I have this habit of buying a lot of oranges and bananas. For my grains, I go for multigrain crackers. As far as water, I tend to burn about a gallon and a half to two gallons a day. Wearing a polyester uniform and patrolling all day makes you thirsty!
That all sounds good, how much heavy exercise do you do?

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
I forgot the most important part! My adult daughter dropped three sizes just from making this one simple change....she started eating breakfast. I once read that 75% of all overweight people are breakfast-skippers. Skipping breakfast really messes up your metabolism.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
For the sole purpose of losing weight, it doesn't matter what you eat - high fat/protein/carbs/whatever... It all comes down to calories, more specifically your intake vs. expenditure. The truth is that you can always eat as much as you want - as long as you're willing to burn it off.

Walking is a good start, but you really can't measure it by the distance walked, you have to go by the time walked... At your weight, a half-mile walk is only good for about 75 calories - which won't amount to a hill of beans since that should only take you 7-8 minutes. However, if you start focusing on the time spent doing so, then that's when the calories really start racking up...

If you dedicate a half-hour to walking, you should cover about 2-miles and burn roughly 280 calories... Double that for an hour's effort. Just don't think of it as "Ugh... I don't want to walk 2-4 miles, blah blah blah...," simply strap on your iPod and just start walking. To that end, one thing I've always suggested to people is to create a "walking playlist" with some of your favorite songs, make it an hour duration, and don't stop walking until the music is over. Whatever you do, just don't take a leisurely pace - it doesn't matter how long you walk if you're just dawdling along... Always try to keep your pace at about 4mph for a 15-minute mile.

Here's another easy suggestion that should be easily appreciated by everyone on here.... Wash your car! An hour spent washing your car won't just provide a clean ride, but you'll have burned about 485 calories doing so.

With that said, there were a handful of sound suggestions sprinkled throughout here...

Besides the stupidly obvious like cutting out soda, which you've already done - make green tea your friend... 3-4 glasses a day will be good for an extra 75-100 calories. Just don't buy any of that pre-made slop... Make it yourself and use something like Splenda to sweeten it.

Whole grains ('multigrain" is just a marketing gimmick) and fiber should be your friend as well... They will help to regulate you digestive system and even better - they help fill you up quicker! I'd be willing to bet money that you don't get anywhere near enough fiber in your diet (most people don't)... Start out by simply adding something like oatmeal to your breakfasts or if absolutely necessary, take supplements if needed.

Girlie-girl probably made the best suggestion if you're truly serious about losing weight.... Keep a diary of what you eat. The only way you can honestly expect to burn calories is if you know just how much you're putting in. Plus, once your whole diet is actually right in front of your face in black and white, you can make necessary changes much more easily. Also be sure to make notes as to what you were doing at the time and how you were feeling... It can be a major revelation to people once they begin to see the associations between their activities/feelings/emotions and what they subsequently eat.

Finally... A few more points not mentioned:

*Take your vitamins!

*"Fats" aren't your enemy. A lot of folks are under the misconception that dietary fat immediately equals body fat and that's complete hogwash. We all need to have some fat in our diets, it's just a matter of picking good fats.

*Other foods to make your friend... Cranberries and blueberries, nuts, olive oil, soy-products, milk, and yogurt.

*Bulk up, even if just a little... The more muscle, the more calories you'll burn in just your "everyday" activities. You don't need to join a gym or get all obsessed about it, just start doing some easy things around the house. Start with some sit-ups/crunches and push ups... If the push-ups are a bit hard at first - do you have stairs at your place? Doing them at a 45-degree angle will take enough of your weight off you while still providing enough resistance to start building up muscle... Another good investment for both is an inflatable exercise ball. Also get yourself some light free-weights and just try to incorporate them into your free time, then increase their weight over time.

Just try such things two days a week and commit two other days to your walking... If you do that with the necessary changes in your diet - I guarantee that come the fall, you'll have dropped 20-30lbs easily.

I'm sure it all sounds like a lot right now... but once you get used to it after a few weeks, it's a piece of cake - it's all about making it "normal." And after a while, you won't even need to do things like keeping a food diary - it'll just come naturally.

I don't obsessively work out nor excessively monitor my diet, but by roughly following what I just said I've managed to maintain my current weight (6' 165-175lbs) all the way back since high-school.

Bottom line is this... If you make the necessary changes in your diet and commit

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
lift.
after the first few weeks, you'll love the gym.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,733 Posts
You guys all make this sound so easy. I've not been able to shed a pound of what I've gained. :mad:

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
It's definitely not easy..but just like with your efforts to stop smoking, with patience and perseverence, it can be done. I feel that it's important to focus on the health benefits..regardless of the weight loss. If you eat wholesome, healthful foods and get sufficient exercise, it's going to be good for your body regardless of whether or not the weight loss follows.

21 - 40 of 153 Posts