Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well......I'm back! It seems like a month since I was here last! Quite a few new names here.....Cool! I'm now a resident of the great state of Nevada. It's unbelievably nice to get out of the "Peoples Republic of California" Lookin' Forward to getting to know some of the new folks!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well it's about damn time KC! I missed ya something awful! It just wasn't the same without ya. Nevada huh? Cool! Make sure ya stay put now, ya hear? :histeric:
I missed ya babe, really! Glad you are back! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
JerseyGirl said:
Well it's about damn time KC! I missed ya something awful! It just wasn't the same without ya. Nevada huh? Cool! Make sure ya stay put now, ya hear? :histeric:
I missed ya babe, really! Glad you are back! :thumbsup:
You keep that up and there'll be no living with him! :bighead:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Katshot said:
Yeah right!! :histeric:
As long as there's a single person out there in cyberspace to respond Kevin will continue to bleat about how nice it is to drive a fishing boat disguised as a car :annoyed: As long as it has RWD!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
kcnewell said:
As long as there's a single person out there in cyberspace to respond Kevin will continue to bleat about how nice it is to drive a fishing boat disguised as a car :annoyed: As long as it has RWD!
Oh my gawd, do you see this insult Kevin? He called the Fleetwood a fishing boat disguised as a car! That's it. Thats the last straw. This just can't go on. To call a Fleetwood a fishing boat, why thats just mean. Next he'll probably start saying it's a land yacht or worse, a barge! I don't know if I can maintain composure with those kind of slanderous comments being thrown about. I haven't heard anything that mean and nasty since....since...since 3rd grade! :bonkers:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
kcnewell said:
Say what you want KC. Just remember, it wasn't RWD cars that brought Cadillac to their knees. Just because your car has more in common with a Chrysler K-car than a REAL Cadillac..... :nyanya:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Oh lord.... not the real cadillac deal again!! Oh the memories!!! Ralph!!! :histeric:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Katshot said:
Say what you want KC. Just remember, it wasn't RWD cars that brought Cadillac to their knees. Just because your car has more in common with a Chrysler K-car than a REAL Cadillac..... :nyanya:
Really?....Do your homework. The models that put Cadillac back on the map and began the trend in the direction of performance were the STS and the ETC in that order. Putting a de-horned Corvette motor in a schooner was an afterthought so the geezers would have a little more power when they were driving out to the Wal-Mart.

What really brought Cadillac to their knees was a few years of really bad engines ( See: HT4100 ) And a general decline in quality that fortunately started to turn around with the introduction of the '92 STS and the Northstar engine a year later. NOBODY Gave a damn about FWD/RWD and MOST people couldnt even tell the difference.

You're just obsessed :banana:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
kcnewell said:
Really?....Do your homework. The models that put Cadillac back on the map and began the trend in the direction of performance were the STS and the ETC in that order. Putting a de-horned Corvette motor in a schooner was an afterthought so the geezers would have a little more power when they were driving out to the Wal-Mart.

What really brought Cadillac to their knees was a few years of really bad engines ( See: HT4100 ) And a general decline in quality that fortunately started to turn around with the introduction of the '92 STS and the Northstar engine a year later. NOBODY Gave a damn about FWD/RWD and MOST people couldnt even tell the difference.

You're just obsessed :banana:
Think again Buckwheat!
The slide started in the 70's and continued damn near until the CTS and Escalade (2nd Gen.). Of course I beileve the piss-poor engines that Cadillac chose to put in their cars was quite possibly the single greatest kick in the head but most industry insiders will agree that the down-sizing of 1985 was when the Cadillac reputation really went down the tubes. Cadillacs choice to not only go with a smaller car but to throw in a total P.O.S. FWD drivetrain was the death blow. And then to subsequently STAY with such a lousy combination for so many years put them out of the race totally.
It wasn't until Cadillac started going back to what made them great, that they are starting to get some respect. Although I may not like the "Art and Science" styling, or the choice to sell trucks, they are both bringing people back to Cadillac. And the current descision to go back to RWD across the line is going to further promote their heading in the right direction. Cadillac has to be BIG, DIFFERENT, POWERFUL and do it RELIABLY. None of those can be applied to any of the FWD junk they've built in recent years.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Katshot said:
Think again Buckwheat!
The slide started in the 70's and continued damn near until the CTS and Escalade (2nd Gen.).
Yea, wasn't the Seville developed as an attempt at the end of the '70's to compete against Mercedes? Even then GM saw the writing on the wall. They just didn't know how to read.

When the Japanese threat of the '80's finally caused them to react, they blindly forgot about the Europeans. (Why would you copy the Japanese for your luxury car, when the Japanese didn't have luxury cars in the US then?)

So while BMW and Mercedes (and later the Japanese) stayed on a steady predeteremined coarse, the 'boat' makers sent their boats adrift with no navigational assistance. The only goal was this years market share.

Now imagine a 3rd or 4th generation Seville. Had it been allowed to evlove through the '80's, we might be seeing LT-1 or Northstar powered RWD Sevilles. Hell, they could have shared platforms with the Malibu and we would all really be happy campers.

GM ruined pretty much every nameplate they had during the late '70's through the '90's. But at least they make some good trucks!! And that's important for all those who need to carry 10 sheets of plywood to the black tie party.

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
For those members who still do not recognize it, this topic is 90% male bonding ritual and 10% real substance. Granted there are fundamental differences in front and rear wheel drive vehicles. Granted that for the enthusiast, rear wheel drive offers some advantages over front wheel drive. However, the differences were by far most significant when front wheel drive was a new offering. As the technology matured, the disadvantages of front wheel drive were greatly attenuated to the point now where it really doesn't make that much difference except to the most rabid supporters of rear wheel drive. Sure, if you add a bunch of horsepower to a front wheel drive vehicle the problems will resurface - to that extent the rear wheel drive platform is still far superior. However, to dismiss the current Cadillac front wheel drive vehicles as "FWD junk they've built in recent years" is just wrong. It may not be to your liking, but my STS is certainly not junk and I completely agree with KC that it was the redesigned STS and ETC which started to put Cadillac back on the right track. They are a pleasure to drive.

And remember, the decision to go RWD or FWD, what size, which engine - these are all dictated by marketing factors and bean counters - not by discussions such as we have here.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
the Sandman said:
And remember, the decision to go RWD or FWD, what size, which engine - these are all dictated by marketing factors and bean counters - not by discussions such as we have here.
Until very recently Cadillac was just another GM division. It was in response to the 'luxury' car revival in the '90's, that GM finally remembered that Cadillac was a once a luxury division and not just a high content Chevy platform.

It will take a few generations of the art and design sedans and some wholly unique bodies for their truck line before they are considered anything more than a just the latest fad.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
...some wholly unique bodies for their truck line before they are considered anything more than a just the latest fad.
Look at Lincoln, who started this American luxury truck fad. Their star is already fading.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen a Trailblazer with the optional 'Cadillac trim package' yet.

At least the Fleetwood was a 'stretched' and uniquely bodied Impala.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Lets think here..... If you were to go up to someone completely random and said..... Describe cadillacs in 20 words or less...... They wouldnt say "FWD sideways mounted engines, small bodies, and a really sporty ride"..... They would say "big".....

To me, this is what makes the fleetwood so unique.... it is the last of the "traditional" cadillacs, we will probably never see something like it again!!!

And in 20 years, we'll see whose cadillac is worth more!!!

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
elwesso said:
Let's think here..... If you were to go up to someone completely random and said..... Describe cadillacs in 20 words or less...... They wouldn't say "FWD sideways mounted engines, small bodies, and a really sporty ride"..... They would say "big".....
OK, they might say big. They might also say luxurious. Powerful. Stylish. These are good things. I would venture to say that *most* Cadillac drivers are more concerned with these factors than FWD vs RWD. In terms of size, today's Cadillacs are relatively large. And you can opt for the "plush" ride or the "sporty" ride when you place your order, except maybe in the newer Art and Science models, which are kinda plush AND sporty with the Magnetic Ride option (STS too for that matter). Look at the cars Cadillac is competing with - they too are smaller than in past decades, and they too are biased more toward tighter handling than before. Times change, technologies change, tastes change, perceptions change, political and social agendas change...cars change too. It's called evolution. It even happens in people.
To me, this is what makes the fleetwood so unique.... it is the last of the "traditional" cadillacs, we will probably never see something like it again!!!
This may be true - it's as much a matter of personal taste as anything else. One has the option of staying with the old rather than going to the new.
And in 20 years, we'll see whose cadillac is worth more!!!
You have a Cadillac??

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I will agree with that..... Most people today that drive cadillac are not concerned about FWD or RWD.... They just want it to be a cadillac and all the perks that comes with owning one.......

And no, I dont own a cadillac, but I can bet that a 95 fleetwood will be worth more in 2015 than a 95 seville or eldorado..... Could be speculation, but a 95 fleetwood is worth more NOW than a 95 seville, mileage and condition similar....... Except, it seems to me that the sevilles hold their value better at higher miles than the fleetwoods do........

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
About this Discussion
69 Replies
15 Participants
Brett