Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got an all black '93 STS! Previous owner lost oil and got a deserved Rod Knock!! I just bought an exact year/model - used Vin.9, and I'm doing an engine swap. If the replaced engine runs as claimed, I'll take my time and build the orginal Northstar and either sell it, or install it back. I plan on gaining usefull performance ideas, and play with the rebuild.

I noticed areas of concern, but not worrysome problems, like the radiator hose rubbing, and wiring getting chaffed. I have found, the transmission is only 2 years old with a 2003 starter, I'm getting a new waterpump, pan & valvecover gasgets. I may polish the covers.

The chrome wheels are 18"......Is this stock?

Any interesting ideas out there?

·
Registered
1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
443 Posts
No They Are Not Stock Wheel. Stock Wheel Are Only 16 Inch And From What I Can See In The Picture You Posted It Doesnt Look Like A Stock Wheel

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking they may look like Lexus wheels? The tires are nice Bridgstones - low profile and wide. Fortunatly, there is a lot of rubber left ($$)

I found a seller of good used engines, if anyone is looking. As I tear apart the orginal engine, I'll let you guys know what I do, due to my opportunity to be surrounded by good mechanics & a great 'speed & machine shop'. My car is in the perfect location to do any work I want in Oceanside.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Definately not Caddy wheels. They don't look like any OEM wheels, almost positively aftermarket. Have fun with the car.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
Mountie said:
I'm a virgin STS owner & loving it!
Uhhmmm I could find a few women to help with that situation if necessary:lildevil: Just kidding. Nice ride keep us posted on the progress and BTW :welcome: to the Forums.

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Mountie said:
I am thinking they may look like Lexus wheels? The tires are nice Bridgstones - low profile and wide. Fortunatly, there is a lot of rubber left ($$)

I found a seller of good used engines, if anyone is looking. As I tear apart the orginal engine, I'll let you guys know what I do, due to my opportunity to be surrounded by good mechanics & a great 'speed & machine shop'. My car is in the perfect location to do any work I want in Oceanside.
Where is this shop? Oceanside California?

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Huh...GREAT looking car, those wheels look really good on it...I usually don't like 'em that big, but they look awesome! Good luck on it, and if you don't mind my asking, how much didja pick it up for?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good lookin' ride! I think the mid 90s STS is one of the best looking sleepers on the road. Congrats! :burn:

I just bought a 1995 STS pearl white with tan leather, wood trim, sunroof, and Bose CD/tape unit (still not sure of standard options) w/ 82K on the odometer for $4788. Good deal, bad deal, I don't care because I feel I got my money's worth. It's the best money I've ever spent on a car. Nothin' is better than rollin' to the golf course on Saturday morning with a 300hp V8, a few buddies, golf bags, and a cooler full of imports (God Bless America!). The STS would've made a nice RWD vehicle though.

Just a thought, you might just want to keep that other engine for parts as opposed to rebuilding. I'm a newbie here, but many have stated a N* rebuild is tricky business. You could also tear it down, part it out and probably make a pretty penny. Regardless of what you do, find an out-of-the-way road and blow that carbon out with a bit of WOT. You'll feel better!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to remember all your responses ( Thanks, ya' all )

Uh, the '95 STS for under $5,000 is a good price ( My '93 was around $4,500 - $5,500 value)..................... To answer the other question, The car is in nearly perfect condition, except for the rod knock, I bought a used/tested Vin.9 Northstar from an exact year - model -milage, for a discounted, $1,700, with Inj,.all covers, etc. I get to keep the original engine.....I am going to rebuild the original engine....I guarentee you, it will be nice!!
Any day now, I'll recieve the Helms repair manual, so I can figure out how the hell the air compressor comes off....(More than 3 bolts?)

I plan to have the old engine out of the car by Saturday., then the clean up starts!

To answer the other question, I purchased the beastie for a wooping $2,000!! ( Even the 18" Bridgstones are good) .....I have yet to figure out what & where the wheels came from, but they do fit the car well. ..Oh, yea,......the transmission is less than 2 years old!

The shop is in North San Diego.....Oceanside, at a speed shop called Smokeys Speed & Machine. Smokey was a hot rod mechanic in the '60's, known for his work on my friend's dragster " The Hawaiian".

( Alright, now)........Who owned the dragster, "The Hawaiian"?

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
csbacchus said:
Just a thought, you might just want to keep that other engine for parts as opposed to rebuilding. I'm a newbie here, but many have stated a N* rebuild is tricky business. You could also tear it down, part it out and probably make a pretty penny.
Nah! Rebuilding a Northstar isn't tricky, it simply requires a little more attention to detail because of all them cams floatin' around up top.

I don't imagine the engine parts are worth much. There's no demand for them. I wouldn't consider rebuilding the old one unless the current motor has problems (and you enjoy motor swaps). :p

Regards,
Warren

P.S. Darned pretty looking!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts