Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next to my 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, is one of my dream cars. A 1973 Lincoln Mark IV. I have my new project car, gotten for only $650. It runs strong, though there is some cancer in a few spots and the body's a bit rough in places. The interior is an odd blend, parts are almost pristine, other parts are almost trashed. Now the Caddy's work will be much slower, money split between 2 cars now.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
You are no traitor.. you are a automobile enthusiast! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Mark IV?!

Post. Pics. Now. :D

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Was reading an old Motor Trend while on the can at my dads house yesterday.

'72 Mark IV VS. '72 Eldorado

I can post a few pics if youd like.
Thanks, but I've got that article in a book entitiled "Cadillac Eldorado Performance Portfolio 1967-78" that I snagged from an automotive museum's gift shop. It's got every Cadillac Eldorado road test from those years in it, and 5 of those "King of the Hill" articles from 1969-1974. The Mark usually won on behalf of it's more plush interior.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm also a big kid too. I raced the Lincoln tonight on my drive home. Vs a 2000 Mustang V6 wiht a stick. The Lincoln won. Yes, I'm serious. The Lincoln beat the Mustang. I haven't even given the Mark Iv a tune up yet.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Far be it from me to call you a liar, but the IV does 0-60 in like 11 seconds. V6 5 speed Mustang 99-04 does 0-60 in around 7 flat. 94-98 Mustangs are dogs, and i wouldnt doubt you beat one.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Far be it from me to call you a liar, but the IV does 0-60 in like 11 seconds. V6 5 speed Mustang 99-04 does 0-60 in around 7 flat. 94-98 Mustangs are dogs, and i wouldnt doubt you beat one.
You sure man, I think the V-6 ones that do 0-60 in the 7 second range are the 05+ ones with the 4.0 V6...IIRC, the 3.8V6 Stangs do 0-60 in the 9 second range. But yeah, the IV is in the 10-11 second range...not too good considering the size of the V8 and the torque output.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I'm also a big kid too. I raced the Lincoln tonight on my drive home. Vs a 2000 Mustang V6 wiht a stick. The Lincoln won. Yes, I'm serious. The Lincoln beat the Mustang. I haven't even given the Mark Iv a tune up yet.
Fox-body V6 Mustangs are dogs.....

I "raced" one with my '89 Oldsmobile... kid was actually trying to race and I was just trying to pass him... my friend and I were cracking up soo bad.

New V6 Mustangs are pretty quick tho.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Anyway..... Welcome to the Dark Side :)

Hopefully you wont have the dump truck load of inital problems due to previous owners as I have....

I like the Mark IV, I'd like to see it too... probably make me want one :)

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
For those of you that don't know (like there's anyone out there... ;) ), the Mark IV, especially the 1972-73, is probably my favorite automobile of all time, I love them. Aside from the gas mileage, there really isn't anything about those cars that I don't like....well the gas mileage and some of the bizarre color combos they were offered in.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Fox-body V6 Mustangs are dogs.....

I "raced" one with my '89 Oldsmobile... kid was actually trying to race and I was just trying to pass him... my friend and I were cracking up soo bad.

New V6 Mustangs are pretty quick tho.
Fox Bodies were 4cyl or V8 only.

And Chad, yes im very sure. '99 Mustang V6 5 speed 0-60 is low 7-second range. '05 is into the mid 6's. Look it up.

I drove a friends '96 V6 Mustang Convertible 5 speed, STUPID SLOW. I honestly think my Brougham could run even with it. Seriously.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts

And Chad, yes im very sure. '99 Mustang V6 5 speed 0-60 is low 7-second range. '05 is into the mid 6's. Look it up.

I drove a friends '96 V6 Mustang Convertible 5 speed, STUPID SLOW. I honestly think my Brougham could run even with it. Seriously.
The Mustang used the Fox platform from 1979-2004. It stayed mostly the same until 1994, when it was made wider and some parts were redesigned (code name SN-95) But it was still a Fox.

Thats why the "new" 2005 Mustang is the first fully redesigned Mustang in 25 years.

Ford liked/likes to keep things that work.... the Panther chassis has been around since 1980, the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car still ride it... in 1998 the rear axle was changed a bit, and in 2003 it got rack and pinion steering... but a brand new 2007 Town Car is still riding on a 1980 chassis.

Same with the trucks, Fords F-series ran the same chassis 1980-1996, and the Ranger.... a brand new Ranger is still on the origanal Ranger chassis (Bronco II era) Personally I think its kinda cool... but its also why people (magazine editors) complain about the new Ranger being outdated, and the new Town Car not feeling as refined as the latest form Lexus etc.... But there also seems to be a connection these vehicles running the ancient
chassis with reliablability, cost of parts and ease of repair.....

D

·
0 Posts

I guess the '83 Mustang V6 I owned for years was just a figment of my imagination then.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
... why do we not see pictures yet???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts