Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I've got a '93 Sixty Special and the crests on the sail panel (behind the back seat windows) are the illuminated type when you have your parking lamps on. One of these crests are not lighting up, and i checked the power supply for it and the wires are live so I wanted to know where I could get a replacement crest with the plug in back of it, or if it is possible to replace the bulb or whatever lights these up. I've checked ebay and there are on there, but kind of expensive and I do not want to have to deal with a dealer, so any ideas anybody? Thanx for any help you can give me.
Jacob Hoppe

·
Registered
433 Posts
tru504187211 said:
Hello All,
I've got a '93 Sixty Special and the crests on the sail panel (behind the back seat windows) are the illuminated type when you have your parking lamps on. One of these crests are not lighting up, and i checked the power supply for it and the wires are live so I wanted to know where I could get a replacement crest with the plug in back of it, or if it is possible to replace the bulb or whatever lights these up. I've checked ebay and there are on there, but kind of expensive and I do not want to have to deal with a dealer, so any ideas anybody? Thanx for any help you can give me.
Jacob Hoppe
I didn't know such a thing existed... Do you happen to have pics? I'd like to see them in daylight and then lit at night, if you could. :)

Sorry I don't have any real answers for you. Although, this would bring me to question (and forgive me if this has been answered already), but is there a caddy dealer out there that we are associated with that'll give the club discounts? (I may be able to provide one if we don't ;) )

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
:eek:fftopic:
We have no discounts for a dealership right now...... Not a bad idea though....... Maybe if we're big enough we could get shell to give us cadillacforums discount cards, which would save us 10c/gallon on premium, since no one here uses ANYTHING but premium...... :D

Id like to see if we could get someone to get us parts cheap........

End :eek:fftopic:

Jacob, please post pictures of the crest removed...... Does it look like any sort of backing can be removed??? If so, you should be able to replace the lighting element.. If not, then you may be SOL, and have to get a new one.......

·
Registered
303 Posts
Those things are pretty expensive, and I believe you have to replace the whole thing. I had mine replaced when someone tried to steal them, but just left a deep gouge. Cost $130Cdn through the dealer, but now both of mine light up :)

I'll try to get a pic of the old one later, but here it is lighted up at night:

PS- I believe Devilles with the vinyl tops had these too.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Oooooooh.... I like!!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pics

Hello everyone and thanx for the info,
I also consulted a dealer about replacing a non-existent bulb. $91 per enclosure and they'd have to special order them, so I think I'll hold off on that for now and just install the gold package (minus lightup crests) once that gets to my house. But here are the promised pics of my crest, the quality of these pics is not as clear as the last one posted, but you'll get the idea. I'm starting to look around at salvage yards around my area hoping that once set will eventually pop up. Thanx
Jacob Hoppe

Emblem Pics

·
Registered
521 Posts
I really, really want that now. Do you think it be too much work to put them in my car or even find them?

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Those would look cool with the opera lights on my Fleetwood, and there's already wiring there for the opera lights so I could install it relatively easy. Maybe I'll see if I can find a set when I go to the junkyards this week.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
SupaFly said:
I really, really want that now. Do you think it be too much work to put them in my car or even find them?
Finding them...... maybe...... You might be able to find them at a junkyard........ Or pay dealer prices, at like $80 a piece (or whatever $130cdn is).......

Installing them..... Well, youd have to make all your own wiring, and cut a space for them to go......

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh God, I can't do that myself! There are emblems already there though so I guess I just have to do the wiring, no? The more I see them, the more I want. I will have them.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I believe the emblems are just glued to the vinyl top or the metal, whichever you have......... And the emblems he took pictues of...... (see above)...... have some sort of thing that goes into the body of the car.......

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, they are quite expensive and quite difficult to install if you have no confidence in your wire splicing skills. I'm no professional electrician, but i suppose you could pick up the adapter that the crest will plug into from a gm dealer and then splice maybe the rear parking lamps for the wires to power the crest. Does that sound about right anyone? That adapter would then plug into the crest, which i found out is one solid piece and would be very difficult and almost not worth it to attempt to replace the flouresnt strip if its dead and the wires are live. so check a junk yard for fleetwoods or sixties with them or pay 80-95 per crest at a dealer, but its worth it because its soooooo pimp. Just soooooooooooooooooo pimp! I told my mom about them and she and my grandma both said theyd buy me a pimp cane to complete the look. Picture me, walkin out the drivers side with a gold cane the the crests illuminated...wow. lol
Jacob Hoppe

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The hardest part of wiring it would be running the wires through the car. Connecting them would be easy. But the real hard part seems like cutting a hole in there and mounting it.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yeah....... If it were my car, I dont think Id want to be cutting into it.......

Hey Andrew or Jacob...... Could you post a picture of the car with the crest thing out..... It might give an idea to some people what kind of cutting is necessary......

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mine are glued down tight, so I wont be able to get a pic of it. But the hole should be the shape of the white part that sticks out the back of the emblem (refer to Jacob's pics)..ie round with a knob on the top.

These would make great sidemarkers for just behind the front wheel.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
How are you supposed to get them out..... Just start prying when they die???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
12 Participants
brougham