Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 2016 ATS4, 2013 ATS
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received the OEM illuminated cargo sill plate and installed it on the weekend. The sill is a brushed stainless steel with a plastic surround and the LED's appear to be the same colour temperature as the cargo lights on the interior quarter panels.

This is not an essential upgrade, but one I find quite aesthetically pleasing as now I like seeing the cargo sill whenever I open the lift gate. I think it gives the cargo area a more upscale appearance, which feels more "Cadillac" to me, compared to the plastic piece it replaced. I've ordered the premium carpet cargo mat to finish the look.

The install wasn't too difficult, just have to disconnect the passenger side cargo light and plug that as well as the wiring harness into the cargo sill duo connectors.

·
Registered
Current:09CTS4,08DTS Past:00,04DTS,03,07CTS,07STS4
96 Posts
I received the OEM illuminated cargo sill plate and installed it on the weekend. The sill is a brushed stainless steel and the LED's seem to be around 5000-6000K, about the same colour temperature as the cargo lights. I don't find the LED's overpowering or hard on the eyes at all. Obviously, this is not a necessary upgrade, but I do like seeing the cargo sill whenever I open the lift gate. I think it gives the cargo area a more upscale appearance when the lift gate opens - feels more "Cadillac" to me, compared to the plastic piece it replaced. I'm probably going to order the premium carpet cargo mat next to finish the look. I have the vertical cargo net as well, but that along with the cargo shade and illuminated sill plate seemed a little too busy to me so I removed the cargo net.

The install wasn't too difficult, just have to disconnect the passenger side cargo light and plug that as well as the wiring harness into the cargo sill duo connectors.

Looks real nice. How did the install go? Where do you plug the lighting into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cadillac_king! The directions that came with the sill basically just said, see accessories manual. I called the dealer and they emailed me directions, but unfortunately they were for installing the door sills. Luckily, I found David Waltermyer's Youtube channel, there he gives an instructional video for this on his XT5. This video helped me to have a visual on what I was getting into; although, the install isn't exactly the same. Actually, I think it seems more difficult in the XT5.

To begin, you need to remove the existing plastic sill, which require removing the cargo compartment (an all in one unit). Lift the cover and remove the four spin fasteners and the spin fastener that holds the compressor. Then you can go ahead and remove the compressor and its container as well as the cargo unit. With the cargo unit out of the way, you can remove the sill, which is held in by snap in clips, just pull them up, but be carful not to use too much force or you could break a clip.

Next, you need to get to the cargo light wiring so you can connect the illuminated sill wiring to it. I removed both net hooks on the passenger side, they require a 45 Torx bit; however, all I had was a 40 and it worked as well. Then on the upper quarter panel interior trim (beige in my XT4), I used my trim removal tool to remove a cover to a 6mm bolt (not sure if I recall the exact size), which then allowed me access to the cargo light from behind. The illuminated sill has a wire with two connectors so you can plug the wiring harness into it and then the sill into the cargo light connector. Then I just tucked the wire behind the lower quarter panel interior trim and made sure it wasn't pinching anywhere as I put everything back together. Be careful when putting the cargo unit back you place it into the lower quarter panel trim correctly, as it has four slots to secure the unit. Don't force it or the slots could break.

I think this sounds more complicated than it is. For anyone who's interested in doing this, I highly recommend watching David Waltermyer's video on Youtube. He has a great channel for anyone interested in doing mods like this to their Cadillac XT5, XT4, and SRX.

Here's a link to the video:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I added the premium carpet mat for the cargo area. The mat is very plush and the colour is an exact match for the interior carpet. On a side note, my girlfriend and I both found the cabin to be more "car-like" in sound resonance, due to the combination of the thicker carpeted cargo mat and the carpeted cargo shade. Without the cargo mat and cargo shade, it has a more open air quality, similar to a sound insulated van. The difference is minimal, but noticeable for us and we prefer the quieter "car-like" interior on long road trips.

·
Registered
2019 XT4
13 Posts
Thanks, Cadillac_king! The directions that came with the sill basically just said, see accessories manual. I called the dealer and they emailed me directions, but unfortunately they were for installing the door sills. Luckily, I found David Waltermyer's Youtube channel, there he gives an instructional video for this on his XT5. This video helped me to have a visual on what I was getting into; although, the install isn't exactly the same. Actually, I think it seems more difficult in the XT5.

To begin, you need to remove the existing plastic sill, which require removing the cargo compartment (an all in one unit). Lift the cover and remove the four spin fasteners and the spin fastener that holds the compressor. Then you can go ahead and remove the compressor and its container as well as the cargo unit. With the cargo unit out of the way, you can remove the sill, which is held in by snap in clips, just pull them up, but be carful not to use too much force or you could break a clip.

Next, you need to get to the cargo light wiring so you can connect the illuminated sill wiring to it. I removed both net hooks on the passenger side, they require a 45 Torx bit; however, all I had was a 40 and it worked as well. Then on the upper quarter panel interior trim (beige in my XT4), I used my trim removal tool to remove a cover to a 6mm bolt (not sure if I recall the exact size), which then allowed me access to the cargo light from behind. The illuminated sill has a wire with two connectors so you can plug the wiring harness into it and then the sill into the cargo light connector. Then I just tucked the wire behind the lower quarter panel interior trim and made sure it wasn't pinching anywhere as I put everything back together. Be careful when putting the cargo unit back you place it into the lower quarter panel trim correctly, as it has four slots to secure the unit. Don't force it or the slots could break.

I think this sounds more complicated than it is. For anyone who's interested in doing this, I highly recommend watching David Waltermyer's video on Youtube. He has a great channel for anyone interested in doing mods like this to their Cadillac XT5, XT4, and SRX.

Here's a link to the video:

where did you buy yours?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought the illuminated cargo sill from here:

This is the least expensive price I could find for the cargo sill. As you're probably aware, the dealer cannot sell the products as cheaply as the online GM parts stores. Even the same dealer sells the product at their dealership for much more than they do on their GM parts website.

For the Premium carpet cargo area mat I used this seller:

The reason I changed retailer's for the cargo mat is due to shipping. The previous seller couldn't ship the mat nearly as cheaply because of the size of the mat and the distance. I fluctuate between these two retailer's to purchase parts and accessories as sometimes one is less expensive due to a sale or to shipping. These are Canadian GM sites, but I suspect the process works similarly in the USA.

Also, I found I would receive a 5% discount code by not purchasing the item for a day, after registering and adding the item to the cart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my scanner is out of commission but if you want to PM me your email I'll take pictures of the pages (about 10) and I'll email the pictures to you..

Bernie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do you PM in this forum
If you hover over the person's avatar picture, a window will pop up. In the bottom right-hand corner of the window it says message, click on this to send a pm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just picked up this illuminated sill to install in my 2020...
I've got the full shop install information from my dealer if anyone needs it..

Bernie
Hi. I just bought my 2021 XT4 last week and I want to add the illuminated Cargo Sill lighting. Where can I purchase it and what is an estimated cost?

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
867 Posts
ALSO, a friend of mine has a Mustang and it displays an image of a mustang on the ground when the door is open. It is awesome. Does Cadillac offer anything like that for the XT4?
Yup. If so equipped, there is a Cadillac logo on the ground to aid in opening the back hatch. Owners manual page 25 has details.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
In addition to the OEM crest projection for the lift gate, mentioned by 70Cougar, there are also relatively inexpensive aftermarket door projector lights available in various offerings. Personally, I'd like just the crest without the script and without colours, but I haven't seen that configuration. Other than that the simple Cadillac script is not bad, since the XT4 has virtually no Cadillac script on the vehicle, with the exception of the headlight casing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts