Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a six year old Visio TV we use with a Firestick.

I accidentally grabbed the TV remote when reaching for the Firestick remote. Whoa, the TV remote buttons work the Firestick. Okay, not really surprised if they both used the same "codes" for some buttons.

But wait, the Firestick on the back of the TV works on RF and the Visio TV is IR. I mean, the factory TV remote has an IR window on the end and doesn't control the TV unless it's pointing at the TV.

So, I am thinking maybe the factory TV remote might do BOTH IR and RF even if the TV doesn't have RF capability.

But wait (again)... I can control the Firestick with the TV remote BUT only if the TV remote is pointing at the TV. So that seems to rule out the TV remote sending RF.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the factory IR TV remote signals are somehow being received by the Firestick. It seems inconceivable that the TV is somehow relaying the TV remote commands to the Firestick via the TV's HDMI or USB (for power) ports the Firestick is connected with. And yes, I did look behind the TV while testing this to make sure the TV wasn't using semi-fore or some other way to communicate with the Firestick.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Some TVs (probably most in the market now) have functionality to send and receive simple data such as remote signal over HDMI connections. Called HDMI-CEC I believe and it's usually renamed for each manufacturer to add on the confusion.

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
I'm just glad all them remotes have learned to talk to each other right out of the box. When's the last decade anyone had to point 2 remotes at each other and press 3-digit codes from the 8-page table of the owner's manual of one while pressing the on/off button 4 times in 2 seconds on the other one?

After too many hours on blogs and forums and troubleshooting googles I finally succumbed to calling the maunfacturer Cust. Serv. to fix a 14-month old set just strated refusing to connect wifi. The really nice lady with thick S.E. Asian accent told me to reset to factory to "clear the cache" and " for unplug for 10 seconds and 'reboot everything' ". IBDed it worked! I 1/2 expected her to add, "Flush DNS, back up all files and empty the trashbin. LOL Some things haven't changed at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some TVs (probably most in the market now) have functionality to send and receive simple data such as remote signal over HDMI connections. Called HDMI-CEC I believe and it's usually renamed for each manufacturer to add on the confusion.
I think that's it. Never heard of it before.

Am also surprised that manufacturers adhere to some standard enough for a 2013 TV to work with a 2019 device (Fire Stick).

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Does any of this apply to you?

Use the Fire TV App
If your remote isn't handy or you have lost it, you may think that it's time to buy a new remote or even Fire TV Stick. However, that's not the case for you can control your Fire TV with its apps available on both Android and iOS. The only requirement is that you should be on the same Wi-Fi network.

Can I use fire stick without WIFI?
As we said before, Amazon Fire TV Stick needs a stable internet connection to work correctly. All Amazon Prime movies, TV shows, and music are streamed directly from the internet. Without a connection, you will only be able to use installed apps that don't require internet access.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does any of this apply to you?
Maybe, but I don't have any problem and not wanting to do anything different. Just surprised to find my TV is telling my Firestick what buttons I was pressing on my TV remote.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
For those of us who installs custom homer theaters, we turn that CEC off as one of the first steps of setting up a TV, DVD, Blu Ray, AVR or whatever else. Well except for the ARC (Audio Return Channel) of the CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Luckily manufactures realized that CEC isn't that great, and when required for the ARC, the control aspect of the CEC can be disabled.

The ARC allows you the ability to watch Netflix, or other apps, on the Smart TV while using the HDMI cable connected to the surround sound receiver (AVR) without a second cable between the two devices.

So for you Hoosier. You can just disable the CEC or at least the control aspect of it if you wish.

KOT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts