Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped the Phaeton off at the paint shop. It'll be about 7-10 days. Except I probably will go in every couple days to see progress. I don't know what to do with my self, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Oh, and to the members who detest the "Classic Cadillac" grille, it's off now, never to return. So I drove her to the shop with no teeth. The new one will be put on after paint. I also got new lower grille pieces in much better shape to match it.

So, even seen a Phaeton with it's teeth out?

Here you can see how the old paint that was under the grille looked, because it was put on when new, the paint never saw sun. Also you can see the line of silicon that some moron used to seal the edges of the grille.

I'll keep you updated when I know more. I'm hyper as hell, I feel like I just had 12 cups of coffee.:bouncy:

Ben.

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
I know that feeling, Ben - I was on pins and needles while waiting for the reapaint of my '72 Mustang showcar (pic attached). Went to the shop EVERY day after work to look over progress, even helped out with some of the block sanding. Had an apprentice doing the dog-work (removing bumpers, emblems, etc.) and he and I were a great team!

Believe me, on the day you finally go to pick her up, it WILL seem like Christmas. I went in the day she got painted up and those fumes nearly knocked me on my ass - acrylic enamel, btw. but there she stood; all clean and very, very shiny!!

In a way I'm jealous of you Ben - you're in for a real treat!!!

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance - 1969 Coupe DV (R.I.P.)
655 Posts
i love painting! ive never had that happen, but painting my suburban was a blast. cant wait to see the pictures dude! post them up as soon as u get the ol girl back

·
Registered
'79 Phaeton (crushed), '94 Brougham, 78 Mark V DJ
183 Posts
I can't wait to get my Pontiac into the paintshop, the quick rust-oleum job I slapped on it isn't going to last. But I guess I'll need to finish building the engine before I can drive it to a paint shop :)

I can never decide which project to go after, so I just go after all three at once :crybaby:

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the consolation, guys. I just got back from visiting it, the rear bumper & side trim were off, it was weird to see it like that, but I'm so glad it's getting done right once and for all. There were so many little botched ding repairs it was sad.

Nice Mustang, Frost, gotta love that crisp white.

arnauts, mean Pontiac, '67?

·
Registered
1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille
159 Posts
Ben, I am assuming you went all out for this paint job, and are getting it done right, by a reputable shop, etc. Would you mind sharing how much you will be paying?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know it ;) Guy's been painting 30 years, and his father owned the business before that. I really did my research and grilled the poor guy before he even touched it.

Like I said elsewhere, the bumpers are coming off, all side trim removed, new rear ABS fillers, all dings and other imperfections smoothed, Urethane, buffed, pinstriped, new grille, the works.

I'll be happy to tell you how much I paid, after it's done :)

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.
759 Posts
Congrats Ben...I'm as excited as you are! I remember that feeling of waiting for my Fleetwood. I can't believe it was almost five years ago. Time will pass in no time. Just promise at least 20 pictures.
P.S: I'm glad to see you're losing the E&G grill. You should sell it on eBay.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, and don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures :D

Just got back from visiting it again, the rust patch on the door sill is no more, he's also working on any scratches or dings that need attention, the new rear fillers are in place with the center ones set aside for silver, and he has the windows masked off. Next he's going to straighten out the botched rear quarter panel repair and then it'll be ready for primer!

·
Registered
1987 Brougham 1978 Seville
254 Posts
Ben,

I know just how you feel. My 1975 Olds 98 went in the shop last December and I just got it back in May. It looks wonderful. It's like getting a new car.
I had a little more work done then yours needs. It had a vinyl top that I had them remove. I like the slick top on that model. I was surprised to see only one small quarter sized rust hole that was patched with metal the rest of the top just had glue that needed to be sanded off. I went almost everyday. They let me help spray the primer and some of the paint. It is a very cool experience. Cant wait to see the finished product :bouncy:

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
Ben,

Congrats on finding a reputable shop to perform the job. It sounds like you did your homework and due diligence. It will look great with the OEM grill. We're rooting for a fabulous outcome for you.

I'm still in awe over those great photos you took of the '88 Broughams coming down the mocked-up assembly line when you visited Detroit. I was there two weeks ago and went to Belle Isle and saw some pretty nice rides cruising by the river. Unfortunately too many mods on the Cadillacs that I saw (for my taste), but then again, I am a sucker for the original, stock look of most Cadillacs.

Nonetheless, looking forward to the photos of your prized Phaeton. So good to know that incredible Cadillac ended up in your hands.

(P.S. I've attempted to give you points, but for some reason I get redirected to login, and it says I am not permitted to perform that task.) Oh well, just wanted to let you know I'd be sending big points if I could!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Hey Ben, if it's any consolation, look at this Phaeton I saw at work yesterday!

It's the STS Phaeton. ;)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, not quite the same effect.

Although those are the rage in Detroit! When I was there I must have seen a million cloth tops, on everything from Intrepids to Fusions to STS's. And Vogues. I admit that I like the silver and black though, but it would look better on the DTS IMO.

Were you thinking of me when you took that? lol.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Although those are the rage in Detroit! When I was there I must have seen a million cloth tops, on everything from Intrepids to Fusions to STS's. And Vogues. I admit that I like the silver and black though, but it would look better on the DTS IMO.
I saw a '07 DTS in that same silver color with the same black cloth top today when I was going to lunch. It looked a lot better on the DTS.

Benzilla said:
Were you thinking of me when you took that? lol.
Yes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts