Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 catera
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi my name is Kristine, I have a 98 Catera. I believe i need a new ignition cylinder, my key doesn't turn (at all!!!)once in the ignition. Inserting and removing the key is not a problem. Pls let me know if it could be something else as well. If i were to replace the cylinder w/ a used cylinder (w/ key included.) Will the key need to be re-coded or does something need to be done w/ the security system. Also does anyone have any help diagrams or instructions on how this is done. I have never removed/installed a cylinder on a Cadillac. Thank you soooo much for anyone who can help~!~!~!~

·
Registered
99 champagne catera (sold), 98 silver Catera
10 Posts
Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel from side to side while turning the key? Wiggling the key around in the cylinder while turning? maybe try spraying (just a tiny bit) some WD-40 inside the key lock cylinder.

The key itself could be worn down. You can take the key you have to any GM dealer, and they can pull the key code off your key, and make a brand new key for you (if the key actually looks fairly worn down and the edges of the teeth look rounded). The cost of a new key with programming is around $200 (in canada).

Or, You could in fact have a seized key lock cylinder. I have never heard of a salvage yard selling the lock cylinder and key itself, but you can always give it a try. They usually want to sell you the whole steering column. I can't imagine what it would cost for the dealer to replace the lock cylinder, but im guessing it would be $500+.

If you find yourself a new or used unit and are doing the work yourself, make sure you take your negative cable off the battery (you dont need an airbag blowing off in your face). Go to your local parts store and rent a steering wheel puller kit, you will need it. Remove the screws in the back of the steering wheel. Pull out your front cover and air bag assembly, making sure to unplug the airbag and your radio controls. Then follow the instructions with your steering wheel puller to pull the wheel. Then there should be a little lock screw holding the key lock cylinder in place. Once you remove this screw, the lock cylinder should just slide out. Install your new lock cylinder, and then get your car towed to the dealer to have your new key programmed to the cars security module. (or just pop the chip out of your old key, and put it in the new key)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts