Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, but how do I change the ignition timing on my 1992 Seville STS?

I had a SMOG check done and it did not pass because the timing is supposed to be at 10 degrees but it is at 22 degrees. I have a timing light, but can't figure out how to loosen up the distributor to change the timing...

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
There should be a "pinch bolt" at the base of the distributor (probably 13 or 15mm) that allows you to move the distributor after you loosen it. Usually a PITA to get on and you have to recheck the timing once you've tightened it.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
It's a 15MM bolt. You will need to pull your air filter box and intake to get to it. It is a pain to tighten and loosen that bolt, but you will have to in order to rotate your distributor.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
On my 90 CDV it was also necessary to jump two of the pins on the ALDL connector under the dash to set the timing correctly. Not sure about your car but usually you need to do something to bypass the ECM timing adjustment.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the air box did it! Thanks! (And it is a 15mm bolt.)

Now, which one of the timing "tabs" is 10 degrees?????

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
On my 90 CDV it was also necessary to jump two of the pins on the ALDL connector under the dash to set the timing correctly. Not sure about your car but usually you need to do something to bypass the ECM timing adjustment.
grhi, did you jumper LADL pins A to B? I'm guessing that's not why it failed. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found another post that listed the timing marks as 0-4-8-16-20, so I set it to what I thought was 10. (I did jump the ALDL like instructed.) I just took it to the SMOG shop and they passed it, they said the timing was at 9, but I guess that was close enough. (I also had to replace the EGR valve, but that was relatively easy to do.)

Thing is, it seems to run much hotter now. Before, it would run around 196 on the freeway and get up to about 210 in stop and go traffic. It now runs around 207 on the freeway and was heading up above 228 when I was sitting at a light. So, I'm thinking of putting the timing back to 22 since the SMOG is now done with for a couple years and I'm more concerned about it overheating...

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
If it's heating up that much, I'd check the thermostat and radiator fans. Heating up that much even at what it was before shouldn't be happening.

But, pull the thermostat, and check to see that the spring moves freely, taking some effort, but not a whole lot to move it. If it's fine, also watch your radiator fans, make sure they come on properly.

Changing your radiaor fluid might help also. NAPA has this stuff they sell, it comes in a small bottle, and is purple, it helps keep your engine cool, and it's amazing. I put some in my car right before I drove form FL to TX with a trailer behind the car, and it performed admirably, car stayed at optimum levels the entire trip.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
That's great that it passed! And really great that it's got 277k on it. I love 4.9 's for that reason.
Theoretically, the coolant temp should be higher with timing less advanced???

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that is correct, retarded timing generates more heat for whatever reason...

Anyway, thank you all for the help! This is a great site and reference place for Cadillac owners!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts