Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key goes in and out just fine, but it will not turn on. The steering wheel is locked and the car is parked on a down slope. I had my friend vigorously shake the wheel left and right while I tried to turn the ignition ON. No change. We did this for 30 min. I pulled the transmission lever cover off and actuated the release arm, then moved the lever through the different positions hoping to get the ignition park switch to release the ignition lock in the steering column. We also put it in neutral and moved the car back a few feet and tried it again. Rolled the car forward and tried it again. No change. Keep in mind the steering wheel is stilled locked. (turned to the right just a bit) I tried the search and no one seems to have had this problem.

Is this a purely mechanical problem with the steering wheel locking the ignition swich?

Or, is the parking position microswitch related to this problem as well?

I have no manual book for this car, so any help/previous experience is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In my opinion it is a mechanical problem with the lock cylinder,have you tried to spray some silicon based lock spray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where should I spray it, down the keyhole slot? I tried to remove the plastic steering column cover, but the wheel has to be turned full left and right to access the last two screws that hold it on. For those that have done this before, is there an electric actuator that locks the ignition into the "locked" position, or is it purely mechanical?

·
Registered
187 Posts
yes down the keyhole slot,dont use wd40 or anything general purpose,spray or put something which is specially made for the locks,sounds like a mechanical problem with lock to me ,hope it helps

·
Registered
190 Posts
well I would maybe say it is the steering wheel lock because of the hill you are parked on. Is it a steep hill? well what i would sugguest if it is a steep hill is pull the car up the hill a little with another one to release the pressure on it. only pull it a little bit just enough to take pressure off it and while you have the pressure off it give it a try. and for WD-40 it is a little to liquid and that is alot of electronics in there maybe try a little white grease just a tiny bit if any at all.

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport 💗
7 Posts
Mine does that every once in a while- it's something to do with the transmission interlock to ignition. I can't press the button to shift it when this happens. I have learned that it takes firmly holding the shifter and maneuvering it a bit left to right front to back and trying to shift, and repeating until the interlocking transmission allows the key to turn. Knock on wood it hasn't happened in quite a while... (knock on wood!)... maybe the shifter hadn't completely seated in park for some reason?

·
Registered
2001 Catera
10 Posts
Ive had this Same issue as well, took me almost 2 hours one night stuck in a parking lot to figure out!!
When the key becomes stuck like that, all you must do is;
- Find a blunt object that a little weight to it (ball peen hammer ideally)
- Tap the top outer edge of the key with said blunt object
- While tapping the key, use free hand to jiggle/turn key to on position
- Key will in fact eventually give and free itself up so you can properly start vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts