Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the ignition on my 87 deville and I don't know how to override the computer. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Moved you to the DeVille forums. ;) The lounge area is for introductions and non-Cadillac discussions. Good Luck. :D

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
You picked the wrong type of car to do this stuff with. The factory ignition from GM if more than sufficient. Why would you even try to replace it? That's like trying to put a Holly on an direct port injected engine.

If you're looking for performance you're better off making sure you have good plugs and good wires, and I have to tell you that over the years I've owned a LOT of different types of wires. GM 8mm are some of the nicest design wise, the core is more than enough, they're properly shielded and they last for almost eternity.

BTW whats the engine / care we're talking about here 4.5 ? or is that a 307

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ignition was stripped and the cylinder was just turning so I had to replace it. I know it can be done, I had my 89 eldorado ignition replaced. But thought I could do it myself. I did it, but don't know how to override the computer because it no longer has a chip in the key.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to change out the ignitions cylinder in the steering column. I have to find out how to shut the computer off, because the new key doesn't have a chip in it. I know it can be done. I had to have a 89 eldorado ignition changed out.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Ohhhhh you're talking about the cylinder. Sorry I thought you were talking about the ignition system.

Sorry. Yeah that's easy. measure the resistance in the old VATS resistor. Go to radio shack and buy a resistor of that exact resistance.

Then under the dash you'll see the wire that runs up the column for that, I think it's purple. Unplug it and jump it with the new resistor. You want to loop back towards the car not up the column. The decoder is in the dash not in the column. That's it.

However I have to ask why bother. Isn't it just easier to get the right parts.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/gmpellet.htm

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

Also if you search, this has been covered here more than a million times.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
How did you make out with this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts