Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Eldorado Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, my folks are on vacation in there '03 DTS and the car won't start. The problem was intermittent at first. Apparently when you put the key in the ignition nothing happened, none of the memory functions or gauges lit up or moved and the column stays locked up. The key will NOT turn at all. A couple days ago if you just tried it a few times it would eventually turn and start up normally. But tonight the lock cylinder will not budge, I'm not familiar with the newer pass key systems. Is it possible that the car isn't recognizing the key code? My father used the 800 number to call OnStar, but they were of little help, apparently they're sending a tow truck out in the morning if it still won't start. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 XTS AWD - Black inside and out
286 Posts
After time, the lock cylinder gets glogged with metal shavings and can lock-up the cylinder. It happened to my wifes Dodge.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Here's a couple of things you can try to get the ignition key to turn.

- try a different key if they have one... maybe valet key?

- Spray WD-40 in the lock cylinder.

- While trying to turn the key.... forcefully try to turn the steering wheel left and right.

- with the key in the lock LIGHTLY tap the end of the key with a hammer while trying to turn the key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts