Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Seville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Seville (with cruise control), I am in the middle of replacing my ignition lock cylinder. I was sucessfully alble to remove the steering wheel, the lock plate, the horn contact carrier and then i removed the three screws that holds down the turn signal switch, then i removed the turn signal lever. I do have the chilton repair manual and i have read the procedure several times. The problem I am having is that the turn signal switch has quite a few different types of wires connected to it, there is no plug or anything to unplug at the switch, so I am confused as to how to get either enough slack in the wires, or unplug the wires. Is there a point under the dash that I need to disconnect? However when I lift up the turn signal switch I am able to see where the lock cylinder fits into the column. I am able to work around the turn signal switch assembly if i need to, so I'm a little fuzzy on if there is a retaining screw as described in the manual, but it also says that some models dont have the screw and there will be a release button to press to get the lock cylinder to slide out. I see where this release button is on the new lock cylinder that I have, but I am not able to access it on the one is in the column. I am able to turn the key to the run/start positions...but i still dont see what i am supposed to do next. So if anyone could tell me if there is indeed a retaining screw and where would i find it...or if I am supposed to press the release button? I know if I can get this out i'll be able to put it back in no problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also if there is any more information you need to know about my car or any clarity you need on what I have done thus far just let me know and i'll reply as soon as I can. I think this is a very informative forum and I see that there are quite a few people on here who are quite knowledgable which is why I chose to post my question here. Thanks in advance for any responses I may get.

·
Registered
1989 Seville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok i got the lock cylinder out i found a video and i was able to remove the key buzzer thing out, and that uncovered the lock cylinder screw. Now all i need to know is how to get to the wire connector so I can disconnect it and plug in the new one.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
I think it may be farther down the column under the dash.

·
Registered
1989 Seville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry it took me so long to get back to you johnocallaghan yes i was able to do it let me know if you need any help with it. It is pretty easy its not worth paying all that money at the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
2001 seville
3 Posts
hello gentlemen,
I know its a bit late but I have a serious problem.....My ignition switch stopped working yesterday. I worked on my 2001 seville sts, sucessfully replacing the plenum boot (which seems to be a common problem on these cars)....Now after everything has been put back together I went to start my vehicle (located half way in my parents upsloping garrage and half way on the side walk ) and the key WILL NOT TURN AT ALL!?!?!?! I tried all the tricks, turning the wheel, jostling the stick, even wiggling the key back and forth for two hours straight....nothing works...I finally deciede to remove the ignition switch cylinder and replace it. I have the stereo and a/c unit out and can see the switch, but per the attachment I have to turn the ignition switch to run to get it out.....is there ANY other way to remove this switch/cylinder without being able to turn the switch to run???? PLEASE ADVISE....thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts