Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Cadillac Eldorado vert and 2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! this m first post on here and am very excited to share ideas with fellow Cadillac lovers :D

I just bought a 1971 Eldorado that has been sitting for 10+years. After paying $800 for it, I ended up having AAA tow it back home!

The car is a mess, but the engine, tranny, body is all in good shape. My immediate issue is the ignition key lock cylinder. At one time, someone must have tried to steal the car and has completely damaged the ignitin lock cylinder.

How do I go about removing the damaged lock cylinder? So far, I have removed the steering wheel, the turn signal switch, but cannot find a way to get the darn thing out. Do I need to try and find a new steering column? BTW...my Haynes manual is a POS as it is specific to this vehicle year. Can anyone lend a ahand?

I also though about rigging up a push button switch to bypass the need for replacing the ignition lock cylinder if I had to. I'd really ik eto keep it all stock if possible though.

Thanks iin advance!

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Man, my memory is getting fuzzy; I think there is a pin or something around there that you have to push to get the lock cylinder out. I did it on my 70 Impala a few years ago and I remembered the trick or figured it out when I had it apart. I wouldn't be surprised if Google might have some clues but someone else should chime in shortly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've searched Google high and low and nothing came up of any value. I studied the lock cylinder that is in it now and don't see an easy way for it to come out. My Haynes manual says that the loc cylinder is held in by a single screw, which of couse mine does not have.

I'll contineue to search the web, but would appreciate any info anyone could contribute to this.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I changed the lock cylinder on my '76 after my kid broke the key off in it. It was just like all the other GM stuff, except for the telescoping wheel arrangement. I don't remember it being too complicated. It was winter here at the time, and I didn't have room in the shop for it, so I pulled the column out in the drive way to fix it in the basement. Not a bad job at all.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I'm surprised Haynes didn't just tell you to remove and replace it lol. Look very closely around that lock cylinder, poke around with a scribe, There is something that needs to be pushed to release it, a pin or clip or something. I'll see if I can find time tonight to check a couple manuals here. Good luck.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Did you get the lock plate out ? There is snap ring on the shaft that comes off to get the lock plate off. You will need the spring compressor to push the lock plate down a bit, in order to get the snap ring off of the shaft. The lock plate/spring compressor is available at auto parts stores.
The ignition switch has to be in the "on" or RUN" position to get it out.
There is a lock cylinder retaining tab down in there which can be released with a small thin blade screw driver. It's accessable next to the boss for the mounting screw for the turn signal switch , upper-right as you look at the top of where the turn switch was. It's a bit hard to describe how to do it.

Hope this helps a bit...

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about the lock plate. If you are in a pinch and have a friend, I pushed down on the lockplate while a friend removed the snap ring. You should then see the release that Bill described.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...I've already gotten that far. I've removed all of that including the turn signal switch. As I look behind where the turn signal; switch was, I do not recall seeing anything to release the lock cylinder. This was last weekend in the 90degree heat! I'll take a look at it again tomorrow morning now that I have something else to go off of. I'll post results tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, after letting all of this settle, I decided to take another crack at it.

I ended up sticking a very slim flat head screwdriver into a slot behind the trun signal switch. Once I did that, the old lock cylinder slid out! The new lock cylinder did not slide in easily, so I wiggle it in as fat as I could then I finished it by tapping it into place with a rubber mallet. After assembiling everything back together, I ended up losing the little metal tab that held the trun signal lever on the column. Besides that, everything looks and works great.

THanks for all your help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts