Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DTS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Deville DTS - 216K miles

One of my ignition keys has finally worn down to the point where it is hard to get it to activate and turn the ignition switch. I didn't mind when all it needed was a "jiggle". But now it needs more than that each time. I can still get it to work. And I do have a second key that I've rarely used, which would likely get me through the rest of the car's life. I'm hoping to get a year or so more out of the car. But it would be nice to have two keys, especially if I sell or trade the car. Or of course, if I lose the only one.

I know I need a PK3 transpodner key. I keep seeing online listings also giving an ID number, such as "ID 13"... does my vehicle need a certain ID numbered key as well? Can I look that up somewhere by VIN?

If I buy a PK3 "blank" on eBay, what can I expect to pay for someone to cut and program the key?

And finally... with regards to the programming-- is the key programmed to match the car (no change to the car, or my other key) or will I have to get TWO new keys, and the car gets re-programmed to recognize the two new keys?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I've never heard of specific ID number A numbers being required. As long as it's PK3 and not PK3+, it should work.

The car "learns" the key, and you can do it yourself. It's simple, and the procedure can be found here and possibly in your owners manual. You just have to have the key cut as if it were a standard key, on any key cutting machine. A few dollars.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Rule number one, NEVER wait till the key is almost impossible to turn to THEN replace it.

You will need one good functioning key code wise and transponder wise master key to program the new additional keys.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
buy a pair of blank PK3 from ebay for around $12 - with shipping -
go to ACE- or any other hardware store -
they charged me $2.50 to cut two ignition keys -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Just don't buy the key from ACE. They tried to charge me $80 for one.
Maybe it was just the particular store I went to. Thank God I new better.
Got one on Ebay for a few bucks, had it cut and it is still working just fine.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DTS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I do have one working key, so the programming should be a breeze. Odd how easy they made the key issue, but not in programming new key fobs on the '01, even if I have a working key. Go figure.
(Key fob engineer was maybe the same guy who thought the Night Vision feature was destined to last.)

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DTS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: New key blanks were cheap on eBay. I got good communication, and free shipping from seller "bbblocks" on eBay. I used the "Make an Offer" option to get two of them at a very good price. I probably could have gotten them even cheaper from someone else, but these look great, complete with the Cadillac emblem. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221462050647?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

I took the blanks with my one good key to Home Depot. Because I supplied my own blank, they cut them for FREE. (First I had to verbally agree to hold them harmless if it didn't work, because of it being a transponder key. Of course, make sense.) Had them cut just ONE, then went out to the parking lot to reprogram and test BEFORE cutting the other. So I now have 3 working keys for the vehicle.

Reprogramming worked fine, following the instructions in the owner's manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts