Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
cts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions what brand is the best replacement for my 2003 cad cts ignition coil pack. my cylinder 5 misfire so i need to change it.Thank you.:)

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
I replaced a single coil with duralast and haven't had any issues or codes.
OEM is always the best if you want to do it proper though.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
35 Posts
I saw a 6 pack available on eBay for about $60...anyone use these? I know AC DELCO is the way, but at that price I had to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS , Sport Package
111 Posts
Have you taken off your coil to check, 03 are notorious for leaking valve cover. Oil will seep into the spark plug well. I would do a tune-up or just check, before change parts out.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
35 Posts
I have with my STS and now my CTS, no problems at all.
I figured someone must have tried them! 1/5 the cost! The eBay listing says they are copper...read somewhere copper wasn't great and might cause heating issue...but if you have done it twice...that's all I had to hear, thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
They might not be the same exact ones your talking about, but I did get them off ebay for around that price. They were really cool to deal with, I received 2 in the pack that were bad, a simple email to them and they sent out a whole new 6 pack of coils to me SCORE!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
The eBay listing says they are copper...read somewhere copper wasn't great and might cause heating issue...
Kind of makes you wonder why the most expensive, long life transformers and motor coils are wound from copper and not aluminum - and why the safest wiring/cabling for many uses is copper ........

Copper windings are one reason an alternator/generator is so heavy for such a small package - and, yes, they run scalding hot: Look at what they are required to do.

For a given wire gauge copper has the lowest resistance, thus less heating with current flow.

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
I gambled and it's running like a champ 10K miles in. Crossing my fingers that she holds lol.
saw a 6 pack available on eBay for about $60...anyone use these? I know AC DELCO is the way, but at that price I had to ask!

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
35 Posts
I gambled and it's running like a champ 10K miles in. Crossing my fingers that she holds lol.
Ordered 6 for $65...will try to update once I receive them and get them installed.

Hoping this takes care of a random kick at idle when ac is on and blinking cel up Hill on Highway.

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
Ordered 6 for $65...will try to update once I receive them and get them installed.

Hoping this takes care of a random kick at idle when ac is on and blinking cel up Hill on Highway.

I had the same issues with the AC before changing, after changing it resolved. So hopefully yours is the same! :)

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
35 Posts
Just finished installing 6 cheap eBay coils. Cost me $63 with shipping.

I bought 6 Bosch iridium pkugs from advance with their coupon for $27
And did a Bosch charcoal cabin filter while in there. For $26 from eBay.

My 2005 cts 3.6 v6 with 135,000 had a random kick at stop lights...especially when ac is on. Check engine light blinks when going uphill. And steady check engine light for code p0420.

I erased code, started it up and drove on Highway. Lots of power uphill, no misfire, no blinking cel. Cabin smells nice and fresh. Thanks to all the past posters and YouTube videos...I wouldn't have been able to complete this without you!

·
Registered
04 CTS 91 Aristo
446 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade but why use Iridium plugs? Your ignition system is designed for platinum plugs. The iridium plugs have higher resistance and will put more strain on your ignition coils. There's no additional performance or fuel economy to be gained, they're more expensive and you already got 12 years and 135k miles out of the originals. You have nothing to gain and a bit to lose with the Iridium plugs. I can't tell you how many cars I've pulled Iridium plugs out of and thrown away to get rid of misfires. People will even put them in 90's cars with original copper spark plugs. I feel bad pulling out a $100 set of spark plugs and replacing it with spark plugs that are $1 each but thats buyer beware. They've come down in price a bit since they first came out but they still go in the trash at the same rate.

As for P0420, that will probably come back. The ECU has error checking algorithms and if it detects a problem with a catalytic converter, its probably correct.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
35 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade but why use Iridium plugs? Your ignition system is designed for platinum plugs. The iridium plugs have higher resistance and will put more strain on your ignition coils. There's no additional performance or fuel economy to be gained, they're more expensive and you already got 12 years and 135k miles out of the originals. You have nothing to gain and a bit to lose with the Iridium plugs. I can't tell you how many cars I've pulled Iridium plugs out of and thrown away to get rid of misfires. People will even put them in 90's cars with original copper spark plugs. I feel bad pulling out a $100 set of spark plugs and replacing it with spark plugs that are $1 each but thats buyer beware. They've come down in price a bit since they first came out but they still go in the trash at the same rate.

As for P0420, that will probably come back. The ECU has error checking algorithms and if it detects a problem with a catalytic converter, its probably correct.
No rain here...all advice is welcome! I hadn't noticed any of the bajillion posts recommending ac Delco platinum...in fact at advance they were about 0.50 cheaper. I wasn't sure but figured Bosch makes good stuff (the coils I pulled out were Bosch). I haven't heard ANY ONE actually say Bosch plugs sucked...mostly folks preferring the ac Delco.

All I know is more posts here than not said to use AC DELCO replacement ignition coils...and then a few guys stepped up and admitted they ran the cheap eBay ones and were fine.

With 135k I figure no need to spend $80-150 a piece for AC DELCO coils IF the cheap ones worked...and the cheap ones worked.

I probably won't win any awards or maybe even lose slight power...but I saved some money, got some real answers from honest guys and have a much better ride than my 2005 corolla ce!

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
35 Posts
I had the same issues with the AC before changing, after changing it resolved. So hopefully yours is the same! :)
Engine runs smooth, next day it gave codes p0351, p0352,p0353,p0354,p0355p0356.

All coils are having issues? I read somewhere there could be a ground wire loose or something...did this happen to you?

Engine runs fine and random kick is gone. I am pretty sure this is a sensor error or something.

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
Engine runs smooth, next day it gave codes p0351, p0352,p0353,p0354,p0355p0356.

All coils are having issues? I read somewhere there could be a ground wire loose or something...did this happen to you?

Engine runs fine and random kick is gone. I am pretty sure this is a sensor error or something.

That is strange, I never did receive any errors on any of the coils after replacing them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts