Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i have a 1996 cadalac sts and the ignition wires are arking to the valve cover under the plastic covver and im going 2 change them i was wondering whut i shood know about doing this that might help get them off???????? thanx very ,much i apreshait it very much:worship:

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
club car said:
hey guys i have a 1996 cadalac sts and the ignition wires are arking to the valve cover under the plastic covver and im going 2 change them i was wondering whut i shood know about doing this that might help get them off???????? thanx very ,much i apreshait it very much:worship:
Just pull them straight off. They're not screwed on or anything. Just pull straight up and they will come off. Some easier than others, but I wouldn't use any tools because they could tear the things off then you'll have a really tough one to remove.

When you replace them, use the AC-Delco wire set for the car. The part number is AC-Delco 748J. They're more expensive than other brands, but they are engineered to work well and proven to work well with the car. Others have had bad luck with other brands. You can pick them up for about $115 for the set from www.rockauto.com. They will probably be a few bucks higher at local places. Some of them have to special order them anyway. If yours are arcing, though, they definitely need to be replaced right away.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanx so much i was also wondering if maby i need to take the plastic cover off????? becaus it comes in betewwn the cover and the heads. im gesing i take this off?? thanx man

this is my car i got it for $3500 canadain and it has 47000km on it ths paints amasing the engine bay is the clenist iv ever seen the intearyor is ok shape but im not worryed about that.

·
1,164 Posts
club car said:
thanx so much i was also wondering if maby i need to take the plastic cover off????? becaus it comes in betewwn the cover and the heads. im gesing i take this off?? thanx man
Yes, you will need to take the plastic appearance cover off. There should be 4 acorn nuts holding it down. Just remove those and pull the cover straight off.

When you remove the old wires, pay attention to where they go and how they're held in place. There are various looms and clips that hold them in place where they are. Make sure you route the new wires the same way or as close to the same way as you can, and while you're removing them, be careful to preserve the clips and looms so you can hold the new wires in place the same way.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx so much man

im like not that new 2 the caddy but it's my baby haha and i was wondering about the fuil filter it has the orignal one i bleave i was told i shood change it i want max proformance out of it. also i herd of a computer chip that i could get maby for like a cuple hundred which could give me up 2 30 hp or somthing i was wondering if that was trew and if so could u help me with it as whell. im only 18 so i dont have a lot of $. but i want 2 mod it a bit i think. thanx so much
michael

·
1,164 Posts
club car said:
thanx so much man
im like not that new 2 the caddy but it's my baby haha and i was wondering about the fuil filter it has the orignal one i bleave i was told i shood change it i want max proformance out of it. also i herd of a computer chip that i could get maby for like a cuple hundred which could give me up 2 30 hp or somthing i was wondering if that was trew and if so could u help me with it as whell. im only 18 so i dont have a lot of $. but i want 2 mod it a bit i think. thanx so much
michael
Well if it's mods you want, you need a 95 or older car. All cars 96 or newer are OBD-II, and there are no chips available. In addition to that, the intake is already pretty good on your car, so bigger intakes and K&N filters won't help you there. You'll have to put a bigger exhaust system on it (a cat back system of some sort) to squeeze a couple extra ponies out of it. Other than the exhaust system, you really have to spray nitrous in it to unleash the super horsies. The bottom line is: you will have to spend serious cash to get more performance out of your car. It's already very well designed as it is and aftermarket mods only really serve to drain your wallet. Just maintain it properly, and follow the recommendations in the manual. That will help you get the most performance out of it for the longest time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts