Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No beating around the bush. Guys, I just can't swing a new CTS-V right now. I'm upside down on the SRT8 (what a surprise) and really just can't do the new car thing for about another two years. Hoping to find a gently used (unlikely) CTS-V and save some dough on the depreciation. By then the mod's should be plentiful and custom tuning, etc. all sorted out.

But in the mean time, I do have about $7K burning a hole in my pocket. I decided to get the ProCharger installed. DTP, luckily is in my backyard (8 miles from my house) and has done a number of ProCharger installs. With a safe tune and 6psi they're netting 500+ rwhp. I doubt I'll be able to hold my own vs. the V with 520, but these guys are getting 12.10's to 11.90's with this setup on street tires. We'll see.

http://www.dtpracing.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,91/?g2_itemId=17325&g2_page=2

Unfortunately still not the equal of the V's in the handling department. A fast pig, but a pig none the less. If any V owners are in the area after May 27th, let me know. I'd love to line these two cars up and see how we do. Not a call out, just a friendly meet. I'll even let you drive my car (assuming you'd want to), although I wouldn't expect you to reciprocate - If I had a new V NOBODY would be behind the wheel but me.

Moderators - do what you will with this thread. Not trying to jack the forums, just updating some old friends the only way I know how. Feel free to move this if needed (like you need my permission) and I'll keep reading about all the happy new owners.

Take care,

cvp

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
With a procharger, I wouldn't be shocked at all if you ran with an 09 CTS-V, if not beat it. My '05, with an over-boosted maggie (via an 8" crankshaft balancer) sure as hell felt as fast, if not faster. It was about 470rwhp/460rwtq (rounded), which suggests it shouldn't be in the picture, but when one considers weight, it raises the ole eyebrow, for the '09 is significantly heavier.

Granted, that's SOP, but dammit, I drove my '05 for too many miles not to recall that feeling...:)

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you bringing it to v-day ?
Not a bad thought. I was pretty embarrassed at VIR though. While I was able to hold my own easily with the novice group, the open sessions were hell. Trukk and others were very fast, especially in the uphill essess. Those upset the SRT8 so much I was probably 20mph slower through that section and could never catch up. The SRT8 will take a set fine and has surprising corner grip. But once you start with quick L/R transitions, the car's weight comes into play and it just doesn't feel planted anymore. Is Summit Pointe more forgiving on heavy cars?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a procharger, I wouldn't be shocked at all if you ran with an 09 CTS-V, if not beat it. My '05, with an over-boosted maggie (via an 8" crankshaft balancer) sure as hell felt as fast, if not faster. It was about 470rwhp/460rwtq (rounded), which suggests it shouldn't be in the picture, but when one considers weight, it raises the ole eyebrow, for the '09 is significantly heavier.

Granted, that's SOP, but dammit, I drove my '05 for too many miles not to recall that feeling...:)
I know what you mean. I drove my '04 and '05 CTS-V's for a lot of miles. To me the SRT8 always felt slower. I chalked that up to the LS6's quick reving nature vs. the SRT8 almost lugging freight train of torque. But once I got to the track the difference was apparent. While I don't think that the SRT8 could beat a CTS-V through 3rd gear, from a dig, the SRT8 is really hard to beat. I ran a best of 13.5 in the CTS-V, but 12.94 with the SRT8 with virtually identical trap speeds.

I was contemplating cam/head/headers or even a Squires Turbo, but ultimately decided on the ProCharger. The ProCharger brings on the power from 3,500rpms up. It starts with about 50+ over stock and grows to 130+ over stock. The nice part about this power band is we're already severly traction limited with stock torque numbers and this gets you out of the hole quickly and then starts adding in the power. This should be easier on the drive train. Especially good news with my affinity for breaking rear differentials.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Dude, why waste the 7k on a procharger for only 2 years of driving?

My advice, save the 7k, drive the SRT for 2 more years, apply the 7k towards the new V and finance less on the purchase.

Throwing a blower on the SRT means you will never get the money back out of it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i totally agree with Kadonny. save the bucks. that is 7 grand in the trash in two years. you will see no return and the 7k could at least be put in a CD so it cant be touched while earning at least some interest. thats what i would do. in two years you will thank me!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
288 Posts
:yeah: I am doing my best to try and resist doing any (further?) mods to my '04 V and just bank what I can towards picking up a slightly used '09 V (or never titled like new but a year or 2 old from a dealer that mistakenly held out for sticker plus and now needs to give in as 2011's are coming in) its hard to be patient, but . . . patience will be rewarded:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,732 Posts
$7K will probably be equivalent of $5K in real world dollars then. Might as well enjoy it today! :)

Norm

Dude, why waste the 7k on a procharger for only 2 years of driving?

My advice, save the 7k, drive the SRT for 2 more years, apply the 7k towards the new V and finance less on the purchase.

Throwing a blower on the SRT means you will never get the money back out of it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
hey
CVP how are you. I say throw the Pro charger on there and enjoy it.

Not much compares to the cts-v on the twisties--but by no means is the SRT8 a pig. Its slalom numbers, gs and track times would kill 95% of whats out there, and would shock anyone who has never put one through those paces. Like i said..nothing much compares to the V in the sedan world--so the srt8 doesn't either. But it will beat so many of the coupes and other sedans out there--on the curves--

and I have a bud that installs the Tecco s/c, and the car will runn with a V--likely beat it in straight line.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the advice and encouragement. I thought about saving the dough and doing a 2 yr. CD etc, but in the short term I need to feed the mod-beast. It's been sometime since I've added anything to my car and frankly I need it to at least feel new or different in some way to keep me entertained for 2 more years. Believe me, no one wants a new car more than me. This is the longest I've been in a vehicle in 6 years and by far the most miles with the same vehicle.

I went to the shop again today to see if they could move my build date up, but they have a 426 forged/stroker and ProCharged Challenger in front of me. Their baseline number is 700rwhp and then the owner will decide what other mod's he wants to do if that isn't enough. BTW, he pulled up in a Ferrari 599. Clearly money is no object. So needless to say my build date is fixed at May 25th.

I'm going to pass on Summit Point as I don't really think there's enough room for the ol' SRT8 to stretch her legs. I had a blast at VIR with the long front and back straight, but I don't see that happening at Summit Point. The other problema is the meet is on a Monday that also happens to be Period and Quarter End for my biz'. Not looking good for getting that day off to play.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got around to posting an update on my install.

1) Installation took about 2 and 1/2 days at DynoTuned Performance in Chesapeake, VA. GREAT GUYS btw. They recently did a MagnaCharged CTS-V and have done quite a few Corvettes as well.
2) Car was dyno tuned with nothing crazy. 5-6psi, AFR's under 11 at WOT, no turning off knock sensors, etc.
3) Car put down 492rwhp on a 92* day with 70% humidity. Can't wait to see/feel this car in some good air.
4) Installation is super clean. Hood closed all you see is the intercooler through the grille. Hood open is another story.
5) Figured out a way to keep my catch can by mounting to the fuse box, but not completely happy with the look......yet.
6) The open hood sound at idle is honestly a little off-putting as there is a "dry-bearing" sound to these units(this is normal). Hood closed though and inside the car there really is no hint of the change.

Now for the test drive.
1) Let me first say that I've driven my two SRT8's right at 100K miles. I know how the car should feel. I know that if I hold the gas down for X seconds I'll be going X miles per hour, etc. as I'm sure all the diehards can attest.
2) My initial impressions were underwhelming as the car just doesn't feel that much faster. The power delivery is very "linear" and sneaks up on you. (probably what all you CTS-V guys feel) The difference is when you look at the speedo. Where you're use to hitting the gas and seeing 60mph, you now look down and see 75 or 80.
3) When I left the shop I feathered it out of the hole and got a great launch. Feels strong but not 100 more HP strong. I hit second and I'm just not feeling it. Then I look in the rear view mirror and see 2 100ft. black stripes behind me. Wholly crap! No wonder I'm not going any faster.
4) I'm running 275/40's on all 4 corners and T/C is now useless. On or off you're going to roast the tires. There's absolutely no hope of stopping it. Feathering is a must off the line and at the 1-2 shift.
5) All the usual "kick downs" are still there 25mph, 60mph and 80mph. You nail the gas at those speeds and within 3 seconds you're going 40mph faster. Quite a hoot from 80 to 120 btw.
6) The noise at cruising speed is zero difference, I literally can't hear the S/C. I have a stock exhaust with Magnaflow highflow cats only.
7) Gas mileage is better, but in the neighborhood of 1 mpg not the 2 I've seen others post with this setup.

So to recap. I was contemplating getting the new CTS-V, but with the economy, etc. didn't feel a new car was in the cards. For a little over $7K, believe me, I've got all the new car I can handle. I literally have to relearn how to drive this beast all over again. I've probably lost 2/32nds of tread depth on the rears just exploring where the limits are.

One day I'll be back, but for now this new found power has quenched the mod and new car bug. I would still like to find someone local with a new CTS-V just to have a couple of runs. If anyone's interested just PM me.

Thanks,

chris

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Not a bad thought. I was pretty embarrassed at VIR though. While I was able to hold my own easily with the novice group, the open sessions were hell. Trukk and others were very fast, especially in the uphill essess. Those upset the SRT8 so much I was probably 20mph slower through that section and could never catch up. The SRT8 will take a set fine and has surprising corner grip. But once you start with quick L/R transitions, the car's weight comes into play and it just doesn't feel planted anymore. Is Summit Pointe more forgiving on heavy cars?
Shenandoah? Hell no! I could actually hold my own against the V test mules on the tight sections of Shenandoah.

As for the Main Course, it's alot less tight and is more a momentum track...at least on the simulators, anyway...

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
$7K will probably be equivalent of $5K in real world dollars then. Might as well enjoy it today! :)

Norm
And that $7K will be more like $1.5K in real world dollars when he tries to move out of the SRT8 in a couple years.

My V is staying as is and I'm trying to save up for a slightly used '10 V next year.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
144 Posts
My CTSV is at DTP in the process of being modded as we speak-- in several weeks with tune headers pulley 4-inch intake etc.. hoping to dyno 575 pls rwhp - PM me be glad to line up with you or let you check out drive the car

PS- Frank and Brett ARE GREAT TO WORK WITH!!!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My CTSV is at DTP in the process of being modded as we speak-- in several weeks with tune headers pulley 4-inch intake etc.. hoping to dyno 575 pls rwhp - PM me be glad to line up with you or let you check out drive the car

PS- Frank and Brett ARE GREAT TO WORK WITH!!!
Agreed! Frank and Brett are REAL car guys. I'll PM you my contact info, although your 575 HP in a lighter car may get embarrassing for me. :yup:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And that $7K will be more like $1.5K in real world dollars when he tries to move out of the SRT8 in a couple years.

My V is staying as is and I'm trying to save up for a slightly used '10 V next year.
I'd actually say it detracts from the value. Who wants to buy a used car with a supercharger on it? I plan on returning the car to stock when I trade and selling off the mod's individually. With the time to remove the mod's figured in I'll most likely be in the red. This whole exercise was just to tide me over for a couple of years until at least one of my boys is out of college. Then the V will definitely be in my garage again. Hell I still have all my V shirts, signs and even my BAD CADI license plate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts