Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't do these myself (without a lift and on my back, no less), in two weeks, I'm having someone install my UUC MMs, UUC flywheel, a new pinion seal, and attend to my header leaks by putting in new gaskets.

At 45.6k miles (99.9% of which have been old-fart miles :rolleyes:), is it a no-brainer to do the throwout bearing? I recall how simple it was to do in my '69 Vette once you were in there, is it that simple in our cars? What are they going for, maybe under $50 or so?

Thanks, guyz.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
This ol' fart says definitely change it. I'm mean.... you've got it torn apart. Why not?
And if you use the clutch pedal for a foot rest like me - for my bad knee........ J/K

·
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw, my knees are just fine. But, that's what I figured ... to change it, that is. Guess this is a weak-a$$ thread, actually. Since I had already negotiated a price to do the other stuff, just wanted to make sure it wasn't too involved to cause the labor to go up. Can't be too bad I wouldn't think.

I'm calling Luke first thing Monday morning and ordering one.

M

·
0 Posts
i would change the whole slave, it will come with a new bearing.

at a minimum pop the slave apart and look at the wear.. return the slave if it appears in great shape

·
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap, the slave, too?!! I don't pay enough attention to the clutch threads here, so I'm a not "up" on this stuff. This is part of the hydraulic clutch system, I assume, and the slave is prone to wear, then? Is there a piston involved that's a part of this setup? Do I reuse the original one? Are there pics of this anywhere?

(I feel like such a dummy! :helpless:)

M

·
0 Posts
the whole thing is like a hundred bux, all the ls cars use one looks bout like this

·
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So, that includes the throwout bearing by the looks of it. True?

(Geez, for 100 bux, that IS a no-brainer!)

EDIT: Just saw darkman's post. Yeah, I was thinking that, too. This is, indeed, becoming a bit more inclusive of parts ... whew!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I not sure about the $100 slave cylinder - GMPartsdirect (used for reference only) shows the MRSP at $421.81 and price of $250.04 (before their wierd shipping fee). RockAuto shows a Rhino Pac brand for $183.89 (before shipping which is usually not bad).

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Just get a custom T-56 built by a race shop. I mean, as long as you're at it, right? :lol:

Seriously though, having the trans apart is a good opportunity to replace the slave (which tend to spring leaks on a lot of these cars) and add a remote bleeder for future use. The slave sits at the front of the trans body and slides right over the input shaft. It's held on by two small bolts, so the hardest part of changing it writing the check to buy the new one.

·
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, a slave for ~$200, a bleeder kit for ~$80, still not sure if the throwout bearing is a part of the slave ... :hmm: Feel like I should just open my wallet, turn it upside down, and give it a couple of good healthy shakes! Guess that's the best way out of Mod Hell ... just buy your way out! :bonkers:

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Yep. :D It's either that, or run the risk of having to drop the exhaust, driveshaft and pull the trans again in 6 months if your slave starts leaking.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
slave and thowout bearing come together.

·
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slave and thowout bearing come together.
:worship:

Glad to hear it! Pretty much looked that way from the above pic ... thanks for confirming.

·
14,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good question.

:food-snacking:

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
any special steps here to do the pilot bearing?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987

All you need is this tool to remove it. Getting it back in just use a block of wood and a hammer or whatever your method of driving bushings/bearings is. Its not a really tight fit, you dont need a press or anything. By the way, I have this tool in my garage. This is the method I used when I replaced mine. The pilot bearing is a sealed bearing though. I doubt its bad or will go bad in the very near future, but its a cheap part and very easy to replace so why not?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987

All you need is this tool to remove it. Getting it back in just use a block of wood and a hammer or whatever your method of driving bushings/bearings is. Its not a really tight fit, you dont need a press or anything. By the way, I have this tool in my garage. This is the method I used when I replaced mine. The pilot bearing is a sealed bearing though. I doubt its bad or will go bad in the very near future, but its a cheap part and very easy to replace so why not?
That looks like a good tool to have on hand, but I don't do pilot bearings very often (like maybe never). What else it might it be needed for?

M

·
0 Posts
i've replaced about 10 of these and about any website you find on google has them for around a hundred bux (slave incl. t/o bearing).. i guess potentially the v has a slave that is not designed as the one i posted above (one used for f-body, corvette, gto etc) and is some more expensive version. i havent had to touch mine yet. I also venture to guess that if you change from the factory dual mass clutch, that something will change as well with the slave.

ive only run into a bad pilot bearing once, most of the time if you stick your finger in there and its all in one piece, put some grease up in the rollers and on the tip of the trans and you are good to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts