Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a redesigned car and yes it's under warranty but who knows what might be wrong with it (i.e., design defects). These Caddys lose a lot of value over the first 36 months. I never buy a new car. Usually lease returns. My 2004 CTS had a sticker price of 45K - it has it all. I just puchased it for 22k w/28K miles and it looks like new with a perfect interior and no, dents, dings or sratches whatsoever on the exterior. Only a little road rash on two wheels. You are just about guaranteed that Cadillac will not be giving any deals on the 08 models for quite some time and may charge over sticker. I also looked at a 2006 CTS-V with 9K miles for 25K!! hen a found out how much more the insurance was. But if you and/or your family are filthy rich, then go for it!!

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Traditionally 3 year old used cars are the best value. You get a car still under some type of warranty and pay about half of MSRP.

Its not news... its not particular to the Cadillac brand or specific model you chose...

Its pretty much standard depreciation on most automobiles..(excluding some cars but its pretty much across the industry)

The advantage of buying a new car is you get to enjoy a brand new product made for you. It should theorically (sp) have no issues and you get to break the car in the way you want.

If the car is smokin hot like the new CTS then you get to have at the moment you drive it off the latest and greatest. Sometimes that feeling supercedes the loss of value that a buyer would get when they buy a 3 year old car.

Which is the right way to go? Buy a 3 year old preowned car or a new one can both be right. Just depends on the individuals frame of mind and his or her particular financial situation.

Although a lot of attention is being paid to the new 2008 CTS I can assure you that a 3 year old CTS is considered a great car and you should enjoy the ownership experience. I won't kid you though and tell you the same about the CTS V because being a corvette owner myself I tend to really like the fact the CTS V had a corvette motor.

Thats an even more kick @ss ride than the standard CTS yet thats exactly what the manufacturer had in mind when they produced it.

I can't help but wonder what excitment hits the board when the new 2009 CTS V hits. Wish I could wait for one as thats going to be an even more impressive vehicle. Rumor is it will replace the 300hp motor with a 500 or 600 hp motor to once again wow the automotive world.

The new CTS is awesome. The new CTS V coming in 2008 will be even more so. I guess thats the nature of the automotive world.

Peace out!

JB

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
The advantage of buying a new car is you get to enjoy a brand new product made for you. It should theorically (sp) have no issues and you get to break the car in the way you want.

If the car is smokin hot like the new CTS then you get to have at the moment you drive it off the latest and greatest. Sometimes that feeling supercedes the loss of value that a buyer would get when they buy a 3 year old car.

Which is the right way to go? Buy a 3 year old preowned car or a new one can both be right. Just depends on the individuals frame of mind and his or her particular financial situation.
:yeah:

Plus if buying a new car that you keep for several years (4+) YOU know how the car was driven and taken care of

Rumor is it will replace the 300hp motor with a 500 or 600 hp motor to once again wow the automotive world.

Peace out!

JB
The V has the LS6 or LS2 motor, 400 BHP stock.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Ah yes....I've been waiting for this. The same thing that happened in the Escalade forum- A big group of insecure people who are mad that their car will no longer be the "current" design, and so they start talking about how ugly the new one is, how much better they like their current one, and how stupid everyone is for buying the new one.

Jealousy in an ugly thing, my friend. The '08 is an awesome ride, but there's no need to throw stones at it to cover up your own insecurity about now driving an "outdated" car.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
JB explained it perfectly. Sure, the new CTS is going to cost more than a used one - and it may have some first year issues - but you've got the latest and greatest.. For some people, this is the way to go. For some, it's not...

With the Escalade crew, I'm not sure it's "always" jealousy.. In my case, I REALLY like my 05 ESV. I'm not crazy about the less-edgy look of the 07. I actually like the looks of mine better. However, the interior is much nicer in the new Escalade.. If I was given a choice of a Free Escalade, 05 or 07, of course I'd take the 07 - it just makes sense. But I really like my 05 better...

I hope the NEXT Escalade is more edgy and far more different than the Tahoe and Suburban - which I constantly mistake for an Escalade at various angles...

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
Maybe I'm "filthy rich", maybe I'm a little "crazy" too. Regardless, I have an '08 on order and can't wait to start enjoying it (even thought it will be my wife's daily driver).

Note to Brian... I'll be enjoying it for at least 3 more years than you will. I find a lot of value in that. Also, I really doubt that most dealers will be putting a market adjustment on the new CTS. In fact, my dealer is accepting my GMS discount which will save me about $5,500 off MSRP.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
like more here say: that's the case for all new releases. I don't worry about any production faults in this first release. It is a design and engineering that is based on the first CTS line. The engine has been improved and the interior has been improved.

Compared to other brands: even Mercedes and BMW have more and more problems in their new cars... hearing from their owners makes me feel good driving a Cadillac!

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
i agree with him in some respects, i'll never buy new, not because i can't but because i'd rather buy a fully loaded lease end for 10-20g's less, thats just me. not that i would knock anyone for buying new. damn if you got the cash i say do it. just know in two years i'll be driving the same car for alot cheaper.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
I'll be buying used for a few more years of my life but there really is something nice about buying that brand new car. 5 miles on the odometer, new car smell, and no one has ever dropped a fry between the seat.

No one is stupid for either route. There are advantages to both

·
Registered
2009 CTS Black\Ebony PDQ\FE3
164 Posts
I am not filthy rich nor do I consider myself crazy, but I will more than likely buy a 2008 CTS.

I feel bad for people who let saving a dollar or two dictate their lives. You only get one shot on this planet and all that money you save cannot go with you beyond here. Never let money make you miss out on living.

When I am on my deathbed I will remember that day I drove that new shiney Cadillac out of the dealer and to its new home.

Enjoy life and if you want a new car, buy a new car.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
I love my 05 and I think at the end of the lease I am going to buy it out rite and then also lease the new one.. I think the CTS is a hot car and you can do soo much to it... I just hope u can change the grill on the new ones... anyone have any pics of the new CTS with an after market grill, well I suppose none are out yet... but enjoy

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I'll be buying used for a few more years of my life but there really is something nice about buying that brand new car. 5 miles on the odometer, new car smell, and no one has ever dropped a fry between the seat.

No one is stupid for either route. There are advantages to both
That's the only reason to buy a new car, the smell. Nothing else like new car smell in all of automotivedome.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts