Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Eldorado ESC
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idler pulley just broke off, the half of the bolt is stuck in the engine and there's no room for a drill. 01 eldorado with 113,000 maintained very well, my first and only car that I would like to keep for life but I would prefer not to remove the engine now. I was thinking of finding someone to weld a smaller head on the end of the bolt. Any advice, and can someone tell me how to drop the engine please.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
76,885 Posts
Yep - remove the fenderwell liner, clear the area and use a proper sized EZ-Out and drill bit to remove the bolt shank. If you mess up the existing bolt hole threads, repair the hole with a HeliCoil.

IF you know a gearhead with a MIG/TIG welder he can do the new bolt head trick. Disconnect the battery and ground the welder close to the work.

·
Administrator
76,885 Posts
That idler increases the belt wrap (contact surface area) at the alternator and A/C compressor pulleys. The system NEEDS that wrap to avoid belt slip and subsequent burnout.

Belt slip and burnout ??? The A/C compressor uses 5 to 7 hp when clutched in and the alternator uses 3 to 6 hp depending on battery charge state. Those power demands require as much belt contact as possible.

That said, I do not recommend a jury-rig using a shorter belt.

Line art Line Auto part Drawing Parallel

·
Administrator
76,885 Posts
Have a professional do the job. Your other single-post thread on this same subject that you resurrected - dead for 13 years - has been closed.

·
1995 SLS
95 Posts
Ok cool so you think dealership is the right place to go or my local shop who I just pay to do the work or dealership that should have everything including knowledge and tools necessary for the job I'm at a loss right now with Corona virus and low work hours I need help and I'm not afraid to say it I'm damn near crying my baby is just sitting here looking pitiful and I can't do anything

·
Administrator
76,885 Posts
A local Mom & Pop shop should be able to do the work. A dealership will rape you with labor charges.

I empathize with your situation, but we're all in the same boat, one way or another. Needing to get a car back on the road ASAP is a nasty complication.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.