Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello together,

I am new to this forum and plan to buy a Cadillac XLR: I testdrove a 2005 with low mileage (around 22,000mls) and it drove fine, no problems. Great car!

However when idling, I felt a little vibration (also after warm up). Not a strong one but slightly noticeable at traffic lights. During acceleration / driving everything was fine. No error codes showing up.

So my question to you guys: Is a slight vibration when idling normal or does the XLR have to be perfectly smooth? If so, what could be the reasons, is this a hard to find issue?

Thanks & best regards,
Peter

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,662 Posts
Peter221 said:
Hello together, I am new to this forum and plan to buy a Cadillac XLR: I testdrove a 2005 with low mileage (around 22,000mls) and it drove fine, no problems. Great car! However when idling, I felt a little vibration (also after warm up). Not a strong one but slightly noticeable at traffic lights. During acceleration / driving everything was fine. No error codes showing up. So my question to you guys: Is a slight vibration when idling normal or does the XLR have to be perfectly smooth? If so, what could be the reasons, is this a hard to find issue? Thanks & best regards, Peter

Peter,

Your post contradicts itself. The first sentence states the vehicle drives fine and is great.

At idle, the engine should run smooth without any appreciable vibration. If you are experiencing issues with anything other than a normal idle, test drive it to a reputable mechanic and have it checked out before you make a purchase. There are many possibilities as to what may be causing the idle to be rough or the engine to be vibrating abnormally, ranging from inexpensive to fifty shades of painful. A diagnostic performed by a good mechanic is cheap insurance to prevent buyer's remorse.

For additional peace of mind before a potential purchase, drop it off at a Cadillac dealer. They have the specialized scan tools to run a comprehensive diagnostic on the entire car - not just the engine. (A typical engine code reader cannot do this.) This can save you money in the long run, -especially for a ten year-old car that can drain your wallet in a hurry. It only takes ten minutes to perform and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. And while you're there, have the dealership print the Service History for the vehicle so you know what type of work and preventive maintenance has been performed in the past. Other than that, read the XLR posts online to learn about the car and understand what built-in problems are common to the 2004-2005 model years. You can potentially save yourself a small fortune by taking the time to read the info stored here.

CC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts