Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed since I bought my '03 CTS with 60,000 miles that it has an unusually hard shake every 10 seconds or so when it is idling in park.

I also noticed that it has semi-loud rattle noise when accelerating after the car has first been started -- after sitting over night.

If anyone else has had any experience with either of these, input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
516 Posts
I have never experienced hard shakes before, but my alcoholic friend would have the shakes every morning when he would come to class....jk.....

Are there codes appearing across the DIC screen? Have you checked the oil? If your throwing any codes, AutoZone will read them for you at no cost. Do you have a warranty?
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but keep us posting with more info.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
rsher, do u have an aftermarket CAI?
ever tinker with anything under the hood?

first thing that came to mind was the intake/throttle body... maybe check it out and make sure everythings in order?

·
Registered
03 Redline CTS Lux Pkg
1,031 Posts
03's have a history of a rough idle. You can take it to the delaer and have them flash the ECU to bring the idle up a couple RPM's. I've had it done but mine still gets the shakes every now and then, seems to be more often in the summer.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Where's Koz when you really need 'im?

He could tell you that the '03 engine began its life in the mid-nineties as the powerplant for a small Herzegovinian four-wheel drive coal mining rail-cart tractor.

As such, smooth power output was of small concern in design stage - the prime objective being reliable slogging capacity under unsavory environmental conditions. Its inborn traits continue to serve it well at home and abroad...

Ours runs very smoothly at all rpms - still hauls the coal - no hickups.

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No errors, and oil life is good. I've had it checked numerous times, and they can't find anything wrong...but surely something has to be wrong.

Also -- no aftermarket performance parts.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
No errors, and oil life is good. I've had it checked numerous times, and they can't find anything wrong...but surely something has to be wrong.

Also -- no aftermarket performance parts.
Seriously, as the cadillac kid mentioned, maybe the intake/throttle body needs a cleaning.

Then too, with 60k, I'd be tempted to check out the plugs. A misfiring plug or two can cause a rough idle that often smooths out or becomes less noticeable at higher rpms.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts