Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:devil: Hello everyone. The name is caddylady and i'm new to the site. I have a 1989 Cadillac Eldorado with 148,000 miles. Just recently its been having an irregular idle where it goes from 900 to 450 rpm and almost cut off. Any ideas what is causing problems? Could it be that the throttle body has dirt in it?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
caddylady said:
:devil: Hello everyone. The name is caddylady and i'm new to the site. I have a 1989 Cadillac Eldorado with 148,000 miles. Just recently its been having an irregular idle where it goes from 900 to 450 rpm and almost cut off. Any ideas what is causing problems? Could it be that the throttle body has dirt in it?

Welcome
My eldo was doing the same thing. I went to a local autozone, pepboys etc.. 3m makes a throttle body cleaner and that is what i used, it works better if you have 2 people to help you. One to use the throttle and the other to spray.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome CaddyLady! ;) Woohoo another woman around with a Caddy :worship: Wish I could help ya on your idle problem..my hubby probably would know! :D Oh..he just said he is willing to bet it's the idle speed motor. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re:idle cars are the devils playground

Thanks! I'll try the 3m throttle cleaner tomorrow. Will let you know if it works. :halo:

·
Registered
83 Posts

caddylady said:
Thanks! I'll try the 3m throttle cleaner tomorrow. Will let you know if it works. :halo:

welcome aboard caddylady, hum sounds like a 02 sensor is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

dave383 said:
welcome aboard caddylady, hum sounds like a 02 sensor is the check engine light on?
Check engine light came on once Sunday for a few minutes while idling in park, and then it went off and hasn't came back on. May also check the converter, there was some noise coming from there, like some of the element is broken inside.

·
Registered
83 Posts

caddylady said:
Check engine light came on once Sunday for a few minutes while idling in park, and then it went off and hasn't came back on. May also check the converter, there was some noise coming from there, like some of the element is broken inside.

well your going to have to check your computer in the car to see which code was stored when the check engine light came on, that seems to be ther root of your problems to you have a haynes or chilton repair manual. if not u need to get one. what converter are u talking about torque converter on the tranny?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

dave383 said:
well your going to have to check your computer in the car to see which code was stored when the check engine light came on, that seems to be ther root of your problems to you have a haynes or chilton repair manual. if not u need to get one. what converter are u talking about torque converter on the tranny?

Talking about the catalytic converter. Found out that the idle problem was dur to the EGR valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
caddylady