·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=4248

Found this on TechLink

February 5, 2015
When alterations to GM engine or transmission control module calibrations are made by owners, it may subject powertrain and driveline components (the engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by GM. These unknown stresses have the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance. GM is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures due to non-GM aftermarket calibrations.

As a result, GM has adopted a policy that prevents any unauthorized warranty transaction submissions to any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM calibration is confirmed, even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

TIP: GM requires retrieving the calibration information and performing the calibration verification procedure whenever a hard part failure may have occurred on internal engine components before disassembly, repair or replacement of an engine assembly under warranty. It is also strongly recommended that the calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that transmission, transfer case, rear axle or catalytic converter replacement is needed.

If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty may be blocked and notated in Global Warranty Management (GWM) and the dealership will be notified. This block prevents any unauthorized warranty claim submission.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,703 Posts
SO does this mean to not get a tune installed to increase performance or you will lose your warranty coverage?
Well that link lists specific models of cars and the ATS is not one of them.

But there is a risk. They certainly can start checking any models/engines and will if they feel they are paying too much for tune related repairs.

Some tune makers claim there is no way to detect their tunes but I am VERY skeptical of that. They may or may not believe that but its definitely in their business interest to give an impression it can't be detected. So I don't expect them to spare no cost to research and publish something that would lose them business. So even if they don't know of a way to detect the tune that doesn't mean there isn't a way. Since none of us can know either, we have to make a judgement call on whether a tune can be detected.

But if a tune is safe, it SHOULDN'T matter if it can be detected. Unfortunately, big companies like GM are not trivial adversaries should a failure end up in court/arbitration.

Another factor I see is that the dealers will be in the cross hairs as well should the focus turn to tunes for the ATS. Most (maybe all) Cadillac dealers in the Phoenix area, if asked, offer a tune from some of the same tune vendors as in the forums (but without identifying them to the customer). I have no reason to think that isn't common elsewhere. The incentive to buy from the dealer is that your warranty will be safe. That tells me that if there is any way, some dealers will find a way to circumvent any GM mandated checks in order to make good on that promise which in turn means they can choose to for other tunes if customer relations or any other motivation applies.

And as for deciding if a tune will be blamed for a failure, remember it is not that hard to link on-line posts mentioning a tune back to the owner of a car. And taking the time and trouble is not outside the relm of possibilities. In the past a car maker made a database of license plates of cars raced on a drag strip and could use that because the warranty wording excluded cars used in competition.

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,193 Posts
SO does this mean to not get a tune installed to increase performance or you will lose your warranty coverage?
No, this means you should shop for a tuning device that does not alter the CVNs, thus not showing up in the CVN check :)
Something like our inTune or Trinity fit that bill ;)

----------

Well that link lists specific models of cars and the ATS is not one of them.

But there is a risk. They certainly can start checking any models/engines and will if they feel they are paying too much for tune related repairs.

Some tune makers claim there is no way to detect their tunes but I am VERY skeptical of that. They may or may not believe that but its definitely in their business interest to give an impression it can't be detected. So I don't expect them to spare no cost to research and publish something that would lose them business. So even if they don't know of a way to detect the tune that doesn't mean there isn't a way. Since none of us can know either, we have to make a judgement call on whether a tune can be detected.

But if a tune is safe, it SHOULDN'T matter if it can be detected. Unfortunately, big companies like GM are not trivial adversaries should a failure end up in court/arbitration.

Another factor I see is that the dealers will be in the cross hairs as well should the focus turn to tunes for the ATS. Most (maybe all) Cadillac dealers in the Phoenix area, if asked, offer a tune from some of the same tune vendors as in the forums (but without identifying them to the customer). I have no reason to think that isn't common elsewhere. The incentive to buy from the dealer is that your warranty will be safe. That tells me that if there is any way, some dealers will find a way to circumvent any GM mandated checks in order to make good on that promise which in turn means they can choose to for other tunes if customer relations or any other motivation applies.

And as for deciding if a tune will be blamed for a failure, remember it is not that hard to link on-line posts mentioning a tune back to the owner of a car. And taking the time and trouble is not outside the relm of possibilities. In the past a car maker made a database of license plates of cars raced on a drag strip and could use that because the warranty wording excluded cars used in competition.
I don't know why the ATS is not listed there, but it does indeed store CVNs.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
When you mod your car for more power, you run the risk that the powertrain warranty will be voided. Even companies advertising the tune to be invisible, do not offer to stand in GM's shoes should the tune be discovered. All we can do is hope that GM makes a reasonable determination of whether a mod could cause a failure or not, as opposed to the blanket BS position that is being described in post #1 (BTW, I'm not shooting the messenger, just the news). The idea that they would turn away piston failures w/o evidence that a modification caused the issue is disturbing.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T Luxury, '97 V6 Camaro
95 Posts
I think we also have to apply a small dose of common sense.

Someone who installs a larger turbo and intercooler, new downpipe, deletes their Cats, and races every weekend should not expect GM to honor any engine warranty. On the other hand, a completely stock car with a quality tune will probably will fly under the radar.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Crimson Sport
178 Posts
I think we also have to apply a small dose of common sense.

Someone who installs a larger turbo and intercooler, new downpipe, deletes their Cats, and races every weekend should not expect GM to honor any engine warranty. On the other hand, a completely stock car with a quality tune will probably will fly under the radar.
I completely agree. There is always a risk though and I think everyone who uses a tuner probably already knows this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts