Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think cadillac should get together with a jewelry company and create cadillac specific watches or bracelets with the purchase of a new car. Nice too, not cheap. Pros: prestige, collector, selling point, special club like feeling, brand awareness, etc. cons: expense etc thoughts, ideas.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,405 Posts
Been tried in the past, along with cups, glasses, trinkets, etc.. Never seemed to make any difference in sales for any of the hundred or so car makers that have tried it over the years. They're always giving something away - but you and I pay for it, not the dealership or manufacturer.

Google "cadillac wristwatch" or something similar.

My opinion ?? If you need to wear a "Cadillac" watch you have a real problem. (Now, a "Ferrari" watch ........................:rolleyes: )

https://www.google.com/search?q=cadillac+wristwatch&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5lURVaCGG8SUNruPgcAC&ved=0CEYQ7Ak&biw=1366&bih=620

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,703 Posts
Cadillac gave iPads with Cadillac logos to people who bought most 2013 Cadillac models with CUE. Was annoying to have to Craigs List it. But on the plus side, there seemed to be people ready to pay a small premium for "the Cadillac" of iPads.

I would have been annoyed no matter what they threw in for "free".

Plus based on forum posts, it wasn't that uncommon for the sales people to "forget" to give the customer the iPad and at least a few ended up with regular iPads when they later found out about the iPad they were supposed to get and the dealer couldn't seem to find it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,002 Posts
Think cadillac should get together with a jewelry company and create cadillac specific watches or bracelets with the purchase of a new car. Nice too, not cheap. Pros: prestige, collector, selling point, special club like feeling, brand awareness, etc. cons: expense etc thoughts, ideas.
======================

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
While a watch or other "lagnap" would certainly be cheaper than correcting (if it is even within the company's ability) one of the real problems like the quality of customer service that is part of the Cadillac experience. Judging from the many comments from many "new car" Cadillac buyers here on the Forums, a complete overhaul of this aspect of Cadillac ownership really needs to be addressed. If customers who buy new Cadillacs continue to receive poor service from the dealerships will look elsewhere when it comes time to buy another new car.

C

·
0 Posts
^ With that said I don't they think they will be able to retain many repeat customers in the demographic that the CT6 is aiming for.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If I was in the market for a new, premium car, my focus would be on what I wanted out of the car. Styling, drivetrain, interior features and comfort... If car A had most of what I wanted, and car B was missing the mark by even 1%, the fact that it came with a really nice watch or piece of jewelry would do absolutely zilch to convince me to buy that car instead.

And if I want a nice watch or bracelet, I'll buy it myself and have a choice of thousands, instead of the one or few that a dealer would have to pick from.

Beyond that, unless I'm at a car show, I find it extremely tacky when I see someone wearing automotive branded apparel. For one, most people walking around with a higher end car name on them somewhere are driving something much less prestigious. But even if they do own a car of that make, it kinda makes them look a bit stuck up to me. Do you really have to announce to everyone what you drove there in?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Cadillac script is very classy looking. I think the older Cadillac emblem is very attractive. But I wouldn't wear a Cadillac ring or watch or bracelet, and even if I wanted one, I wouldn't care weather or not my new car included it.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I have always found it amusing, if not downright funny, to see Cadillac embellished accessories hanging or screwed to a Cadillac automobile. Such things as license plate frames or Cadillac emblemed front license plates and other Cadillac logoed ephemeral make me think the owner must be very insecure to need to tell others that the Cadillac really is a "Cadillac." It would seem to me that for those whom the make of a car is of any signicance, should know what they are looking at. Of course this situation is not unique to Cadillac owners; owners of other European or Japanese makes often fall into the group needing this visual re-enforcement.

C

·
0 Posts
I see nothing wrong with people being Enthusiast's to a brand or ect and wanting to display it publicly.. Anymore though I think that brand would have to pay me for the free advertising.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
^^Along the same vein, one of the first things I do after buying a car is to remove the dealership decals and plate frames. Why should I give them free advertising? One salesman actually was upset that I wouldn't allow him to put the dealership frames on my plates. He said without them I might not get free carwashes when my car is in for service. Doesn't matter since I never let them wash it anyway. :)

C

·
0 Posts
That would be a classy move but most Cadillac dealers still think they are selling Cruzes and Sonics to Customers.

^^Along the same vein, one of the first things I do after buying a car is to remove the dealership decals and plate frames. Why should I give them free advertising? One salesman actually was upset that I wouldn't allow him to put the dealership frames on my plates. He said without them I might not get free carwashes when my car is in for service. Doesn't matter since I never let them wash it anyway. :)

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
They should run the same special at Cadillac that they did years ago. I know that at least once in the company's history, if you bought a Cadillac, you got some econo-box free. Maybe buy up a bunch of Geely's or some other horrible thing and give it away with the Caddy. That way you've got a nice car for driving to your high-powered business meetings, and something for the wife to drive to volunteer at the animal shelter (or the husband - we live in a very different world from way-back-when!)

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Back in the mid-80's we were living in Orlando, FL and a local Cadillac dealer had a special offer like that. If you bought a new Cadillac they would throw in a free Yugo!

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
I don't want to pay for a watch. I want to pay for a car. This is the same to me as furniture stores that will give you a free TV with $XXXX purchase. "Sweet, I got a new free TV"......."No, you overpaid for your furniture"

----------

ELR at Bergstrom Cadillac here in Green Bay is currently $29,300 off the sticker of $77,000 Not sure if that is becoming standard. http://www.greenbaycadillacgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Cadillac-ELR-2dr_Cpe-Green_Bay-WI/2235102623

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,405 Posts
ELR at Bergstrom Cadillac here in Green Bay is currently $29,300 off the sticker of $77,000 Not sure if that is becoming standard. http://www.greenbaycadillacgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Cadillac-ELR-2dr_Cpe-Green_Bay-WI/2235102623
Now you see just how much a dealership screws you to the wall on a $2500 "discount" to "sticker price" or "invoice". And now you know why Cadillac (and some others) depreciate so incredibly during the first year of ownership: They aren't worth ANYTHING NEAR the "sticker price" in the first place. This applies across the entire vehicle model lines, not just the orphaned ELR.

"Cadillac" is a marque and a dream that died with my grandparents.

You want a "Cadillac" ? Sit tight and wait two model years, then buy a certified used one for less than half price.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Now you see just how much a dealership screws you to the wall on a $2500 "discount" to "sticker price" or "invoice". And now you know why Cadillac (and some others) depreciate so incredibly during the first year of ownership: They aren't worth ANYTHING NEAR the "sticker price" in the first place. This applies across the entire vehicle model lines, not just the orphaned ELR.

You want a "Cadillac" ? Sit tight and wait two model years, then buy a certified used one for less than half price.
Less than half? Nope. Not on anything sold today, except maybe the ELR.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts

Respectfully disagree. For what the ELR is, it was way overpriced from the get go. The buying public was smart enough to realize and stayed away. Now GM/Cadillac is slashing prices just to get them off the lots.

Some Cadillac models are suffering heavy depreciation in part because they were overpriced to begin with. However, not to the degree you suggest, and not across the line up.

The V2's are one example. Good luck finding a 2013 V for less than 50℅ of it's original MSRP. Escalade too.

Cadillac was almost certainly in it's heydays during your grandparents time and is currently making a comeback (albeit with some missteps).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts