Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:banana:
Whoooo what a rush. :)
Finally, got my race vs a corvette this evening just 20 minutes ago. :)
Saw him going the other way and I just HAD to follow him. It was a yellow c5 w/ some black guy and his woman in the car and I knew it was go time. :D After watching him do some unimpressive ricer fly-bys I KNEW his ass was mine. Well I catch up to him and we line em up at like 40 mph and he floors it and jump about half a car before I floor it and around 70 I'm dead even w/ him. I hit 100 and I'm about a car in front of him and I look and realize the light up ahead. I slam on the brakes but he goes flying through the red light. lol. Oh well, he slowed down to talk to me and I told him he bought the wrong kind of car :p Oh well, thought I'd share. I'm excited :)
:banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
lol its fun to beat "fast" cars ain't it? :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehehe. Yes it is. BTW, what are the specs on your beast, it's gotta be one of the best cars to drive. Do you daily drive it? :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
playaman said:
hehehe. Yes it is. BTW, what are the specs on your beast, it's gotta be one of the best cars to drive. Do you daily drive it? :)
yep its my daily driver. specs are pretty much stock for now

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Dumb question, but when did you hit the juice and when you get where you want to go do you just turn it off. I'm not real up on NO2, and would like to know more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way I currently have it setup is an arming switch and a push button. The arming switch controls whether or not I want the push button to spray. Kind of a safety measure in case the button got pushed accidentally. The nitrous sprays when the push button is down. It sprays until I take my finger off the button. So, I hit the nitrous as soon as I saw him go and I continued holding the button down (spraying) until I was sure the race was over. It's not like people sometimes think where you press it momentarily and it gives you a boost. Hope that answers your questions.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Damn that's awesome.. Do you use the nitrous a lot? I'm wondering how safe it is.. What is your quarter mile and 0-60 time? I think I'll hold onto my next STS and do a nitrous setup after the warranty expires...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Nitrous is the easiest way to get big power gains. Matter of fact, it's the best bang for the buck out there. The problem is many manufacturers sell very basic kits to entice customers but these kits can be VERY dangerous to you and your car if not properly installed.
Also, the nitrous can be very hazardous to the health of your engine. Some engines tolerate it better than others.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
It sounds as if the Northstar handles it pretty well.. No? How much does a good installation cost? And, how much does a good kit cost?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Northstars handle it ok but to get really silly you need fordged crank rods and pistons.

cheapo kits start in the $150 range up to multistage full boogie kits in the $1000+ range

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
well I've always done the install myself. yeah $1000 sin't that bad once you you have it all set up and tuned right. most of the good stock safe kits are around $500 and install is pretty simple

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the install myself, and the entire thing has cost me less than 400 bucks. :) And, I have a PERFECTLY safe system for the 100 shot I'm using for under $400. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
My concern is more along the lines of how long the transaxle will last. The N*s probably up to the task as long as you don't overdo it.

I wouldn't expect to get oem longevity out of it. But then, its got to be fun having nitrous. Maybe its worth going through a few 4t80e's along the way. Its probably not as big a deal if you don't hit the nitrous from a standing start or if you can limit shifting at full power under nitrous, then there shouldn't be that much of a problem.

(added later...)
I just thought about this some more. Did you say you're using a wet system? In other words, your spraying nitrous and fuel into the front of a manifold designed to flow only air?

From what I've heard, that's asking for trouble. Dry manifolds don't deal well with atomized air - the fuel or nitrous can "pool" in the manifold causing the mixture to become too lean or too rich. Sometimes the stock PCM settings will be able to correct for it. However, if it gets too lean, you're looking at some new pistons or worse. It's more expensive and more difficult, but its a lot safer to plumb individual fuel/nitrous injectors directly at the ports, just before the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Nitrous should ONLY be on at WOT. It's not something you turn on and then vary the throttle. It's for drag racing, pure and simple. The engine takes a lot of extra stress due to it and the Northstar has the same issues that have plagued most other late model Cadillac engines, weak top-end. Head gaskets and bolts are a definate weak point and nitrous WILL exploit this.
As for a kit for $150, I have yet to see a kit for less than $500 that is even BASICALLY safe. There are many guidelines that should be considered during the installation of a nitrous system. There are many people that do installs that are not very safe (mostly for the engine). At the very least, if you don't have the system engineered to allow nitrous injection ONLY under WOT and when PROPER fuel pressure is present, you're being foolish IMO.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A low power dry system should be ok an the northstar but then your not getting bang for the buck anymore. like Kat said if your not starting out with an engine that isn't that strong to begin with like most aluminum blocks, your asking for problems like cooked and cracked pistons broken rods, blown headgaskets. or even more fun a nitrous backfire, watch your intake maniforld go through your hood. Sure the Northstar is a good engine but I don't think it up to the task of high horse power. But if your got enough money it can be done

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm not EVEN gonna say what I think.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts