Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the 97-99 northstars are the most likely to have head gasket and/or bolt issues and such?

·
Registered
1969 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Cadillac Seville STS
64 Posts
I'm also in the same boat as you bro, i didn't find this board (or the HG info) until after i got my 97 STS. However i'm just gonna drive her until it happens (if i even happens). It's still a great car and best i could tell it was maintained well before i bought it. If i keep up the same level of care hopefully i'll luck out. :)

Before i bought it we noticed a radiator leak, and they replaced it for me before i picked up the car, no charge :)

Void4ever

·
Registered
98 Cadillac Seville STS, also have a 96 Voyager (work car)
102 Posts
Yep mines a 98 and I'm starting to get worried bout those head gaskets.:banghead:

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it include ALL 97's and ALL 99's?

does this mean that a 94-96 or 2000+ is not at risk for the head gasket and/or bolt issues (or at least, very low risk) ?

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
does it include ALL 97's and ALL 99's?

does this mean that a 94-96 or 2000+ is not at risk for the head gasket and/or bolt issues (or at least, very low risk) ?
Heck NO!

It means 97-99's are over 10 years old.

It means they are cheap enough that people want to fix them but are in a quandry because of the expense and difficulty.

It means EVERY car made with head gaskets is at risk for head gasket failure.:stirpot::stirpot:

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
No, pre-2000 are more susceptible to failure. '97-99 seem to be the worst. 2000 had a redesign that made it less susceptible, and again in either 2002 or 2003 that even made it less so.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you were in my position would you just listen to one person? didn't mean to offend you by any means but it's only wise to confirm information...

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Trust but verify. My 99 runs like a top - a top that only took $4000 to get the cams, HGs and lower case half oil seal replaced...

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Just as an FYI - my '00 STS had the HG, main seal, motor mount, and many other things done at 54k miles. The 2000+ was improved, but that doesn't make it immune to the HG problem either. If it comes down to a low mileage car with no records or a higher mileage model with all service records - buy the higher mileage one. If you get past the HG issue and other niggling issues, the rest of the motor is pretty reliable.

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
If ya'll keep stareing at the temp gauge you'll will it happen , Quit listening to all the hype and gossip and enjoy your car..
If these cars were so bad the bad word on the street would have gotten around , Some of you never herd of a northstar engines or head gaskets till you found this fourm ..My last caddy was a 97 eldo with 250k miles and drove it every day and would not blink at going 100mph in 100deg weather , my caddy now is a one owner 93 eldo and drive it the same ,
So switch the dash display to avg mpg and drive on my cadillac comrads..LOL

·
Registered
1996 Montana Blue Eldorado,1982 Eldorado Biarritz Diesel
148 Posts
if you were in my position would you just listen to one person? didn't mean to offend you by any means but it's only wise to confirm information...
Yes if the info is deemed valid, Now you have your answers.I told you to check the service records,carfax,auto check verification that's all you can do. If none are available Walk away. It's a roll of the dice with all the clowns :whistle: out there today selling cream puffs:shhh: loaded with dynamite:bighead:

·
Registered
98 Cadillac Seville STS, also have a 96 Voyager (work car)
102 Posts
Yes if the info is deemed valid, Now you have your answers.I told you to check the service records,carfax,auto check verification that's all you can do. If none are available Walk away. It's a roll of the dice with all the clowns :whistle: out there today selling cream puffs:shhh: loaded with dynamite:bighead:
lol, funny but true

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You are lucky this is not a BMW forum. Over there, if you fail to listen to someone, they find you in little pieces. Total different culture with BMW owners. Almost no sense of humor over there too.

And our CTSs are as good and safe, and even more reliable. A lot less expensive too.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,102 Posts
You know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW ???

A BMW has the pricks on the inside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts