Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L V8
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to give Edward a good cleaning/detailing, and I'd like to try using a clay barto clean up the finish. I went to my local home/auto store, and there's a few different products to choose from. Never having done this before, I thought I'd ask the forum first! Here are my options:

1. Meguir's Quik Clay Detailing System
2. Turtle Wax ICE Clay Kit
3. Mother's Clay Bar System

I use Meguiar's wax on the car, so thought I'd just go for the Meguiar's, but then I saw that the Turtle Wax kit has another step/product involved...it has Liquid clay, clay bar lubricant and a clay bar.

Is one clay bar enough to do the whole car? Is it something you use over and over again?

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
I've used Meguiar's clay. Makes the car look shiny and fancy. The clay bars can be used over and over. Follow the instructions and prepare for your car to slip through the wind! :)

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
i used the ice kit
was happy with it, make sure
you do small sections at a time 2'x2'
follow the instructions on the box
and remember if you drop the clay bar
its all but no good, so hang on tight
and post some pics
youll be surprised at how much crapp
comes off what looks like a clean car
and then it will be smooth as "ice" lol

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Ive used the Mothers one before. Works OK. Wash the car. Spray their stuff on and rub the bar over it like the directions say. It really makes a difference. If your car is shiny you will feel the difference more then see it.

·
Registered
2001 DTS / 1973 fleetwood
281 Posts
i keep the quick detailer (included in the kit) for just that, a QD.

and instead just use the soapy water when you was the car. with one section covered in soapy water, start sliding the clay bar across the paint. It will feel 'grabby and sticky' at first, but as you rub it across the paint more, it will soon slide across with ease.

rinse off that secion with clean water, and start your next small section again with the soapy water.

after your done, wash the car again, and polish and wax until your arms fall off....

take a look at the clay bar and you'll be surprised how much crap is in there........

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
647 Posts
What exactly do these clay bars do? Does it scrape a thin layer of the clearcoat off, like waxing?

·
Registered
89 Brougham, 98 Deville, 04 DTS, 05 Deville
233 Posts
its real easy just dont drop it! you really dont have to very small sections at a time just divide the hood and trunk lid into fourths just do sections like that and continue too knead the clay to expose a clean surface of the clay so as to not rub excessively what you've picked up back into the paint, it can scratch. you'll be able to hear the clay picking up stuff. sometimes its hard to feel if there is contaminants still on the paint so after you've done a section and cant feel any little bumps or contamination get a plastic grocery bag or something like that and put your hand in it and run it over the area you;ve worked, you'll be able to feel and hear if there is still more contamination to be removed. you should really clay before you ever polish or wax, always check to make sure that you dont need to between wax or polish jobs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What exactly do these clay bars do? Does it scrape a thin layer of the clearcoat off, like waxing?
it removes surface contamination such as brake dust and things of that nature that are embedded in the clearcoat, usually u cant see it but u can feel it. claying or waxing does NOT remove a thin layer of the clear coat, wax doesnt contain any abrasives. a most swirl removers or any other type of fine scratch remover does remove a tiny amount of the clear coat cuz the only way to remove them is to bring the surface to the depth of the swirl or scratch

·
Registered
233 Posts
if anything a good wax will fill in those tiny tiny tiny imperfections in the clear coat, not remove the clear coat. because in a microscopic or highly magnified state you'll see that paint is not perfectly smooth. an analogy for this could be dry skin is to dull neglected paint and lotion is to wax.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started watching one of his videos, but it went on and on and on. I looked up another one by some guy in florida named "wax daddy" and he had good advice.

I've got a four day weekend starting tomorrow, so hopefully the weather will co-operate....lousy up here this week....cold and rainy. Supposed to get better tomorrow.

I'll take some pics.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
those videos were very informative but as robb said, very drawn out. the guy has no charisma on the camera ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
the junkman in the video cadillac al posted is better than wax daddy, he may be not so funny to watch or whatever but he has videos on every aspect of the detailing process. if you just want a clean car and dont care about a perfect finish then wax daddy is fine, but if you dont want to put even the tiny clear coat scratches on your finish that you can only see in bright sunlight or florescent lighting [those little scratches are what become the circular clear coat scratches over time as they add up] you get those by not using a foam gun to lift the matted film away from the finish before you start washing with a microfiber mit, yes water and good car soap adds lubrication to prevent scratches add help lift away the dirt but no enough to not get clear coat scratches from wiping the dirt film off the car when u wash.
So if you want to get a perfect finish and maintain it then you need to remove them with a swirl and light scratch remover, dont try it by hand use the porter cable 7424xp, if you have more serious swirls then u can minimize them by hand but you wont be able to get the fine ones completely out by hand.
the other way swirls are created is when you dry the car with non microfiber towels and even if you do use microfiber towels they can pick little things and then you scratch the car, so pool the water off as you rinse and then dry to minimize the drying with towels, and if you car is waxed well that will help alot too!
The best way to do it is pool the water off as you rinse and then finish with a leaf blower. its very very effective and hey its another excuse to use a power tool!

·
Registered
'09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '05 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2,241 Posts
My dad and I use Clay Magic on our cars. We like it better than the ICE Kit. Once you are done you will wonder why you haven't been using it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never seen that brand up here.

That's a great idea re: using the leave blower to blow the water off the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What do you mean by "pool the water off"?
Like this, if the vid doesnt work then just youtube search "the pooling rinse process"

and i forgot to mention to use a two bucket wash process, so as to not put the dirty sponge into the clean soap bucket, rinse the sponge off in another bucket before putting the sponge you've used to wash a part of the car and you need more soap to wash the next section. and DON"T drop the sponge it'll pick up grit from the ground, if u do make sure to rinse it out real well

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Looks like I need to jump in here. I have used Maguires and Mothers Clay. Both are fine. I abandon Turtle Wax products a long time ago. When they came out with the Nanowax line I tried again and learned that they hadn't changed anything about their crappy inferior products over the years. I wouldn't put a Turtle Wax product on my lawn mower.

No onto clay.

If the car is really clean slide your finger tips on the paint surface. If its not smooth as glass, what you're feeling is contaminants that have adhered to the paint surface.

Here's the procedure. Wash wash and wash again. You want the car clean, really clean. The idea of clay is it will remove surface contaminates from the pain as apposed to contaminants in the pain. That's the job of the paint cleaner.

After the car is clean get a bucket of soapy water, whatever you use to wash with is fine. Leave the car wet after washing, lube the area very well with the detailer spray and lightly slide the clay over the surface. Be careful. Keep the clay clean and wet. Keep the work area well lubricated with the detailer.

My entire once a year spring time procedure is
Wash well
Clay if needed
Wash to remove residue
Paint cleaner if needed.
Wash to remove residue
Apply my favorite sealer. I don't use wax anymore. Zaino's for me
Polish
Detailer spray

Then during the year I keep her detailed pretty well. If and when needed I'll do another polish during the summer.

Over the counter products are mostly inferior and there's no such thing as a cleaner wax. It's physically impossible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts