Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ( again) lol, i got a 95 sts with 95, 000 miles on it, and i want to really take care of this car! i wanted to no if i can get some advice on how to take care of it....the prior owner didnt do anything to it, i want to replace/do stuff like:

>coolant flush/drain,
>engine flush/drain,
>trans oil change/flush/drain
>fuel filter,
>air filter,
> spark plugs , spark plugs wire ,
>pvc valve,
>oil change ,
>tune up?
>serpertine belt replace
>throatle body clean

i dont no what most of this stuff is, its just what i got from other threads, can someone please help me out and tell me what to do to have my car running on full blast! thanks alot guys

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
If the previous owner didn't do proper maintenance, start with a simple throttle body cleaning. Make sure you open the throttle plate and clean behind it and into the thottle body.

Spark plugs and wires would be nice to replace at your mileage. Use acDelcos.

Drain and refill your engine coolant. Make sure you add the coolant supplement when you refill.

Usually, the oil life monitor on your display is a good guide as to when to change oil. However, the previous owner may have reset the oil life without changing it. Go ahead and do it so you will know where you stand.

Air filter ought to be checked and replaced if considerably dirty, whenever you change oil.

If you know where your pcv valve is, you can pull it out of the cam cover while the engine is running. If it is sucking and it rattles when you shake it, it should be ok. On that note, they are really inexpensive if you want to replace it anyways.

Those are the first things you should take care of. You may also want to check the battery terminals and cables for corrosion. Clean them if they do show corrosion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eldyfig said:
If the previous owner didn't do proper maintenance, start with a simple throttle body cleaning. Make sure you open the throttle plate and clean behind it and into the thottle body.

Spark plugs and wires would be nice to replace at your mileage. Use acDelcos.

Drain and refill your engine coolant. Make sure you add the coolant supplement when you refill.

Usually, the oil life monitor on your display is a good guide as to when to change oil. However, the previous owner may have reset the oil life without changing it. Go ahead and do it so you will know where you stand.

Air filter ought to be checked and replaced if considerably dirty, whenever you change oil.

If you know where your pcv valve is, you can pull it out of the cam cover while the engine is running. If it is sucking and it rattles when you shake it, it should be ok. On that note, they are really inexpensive if you want to replace it anyways.

Those are the first things you should take care of. You may also want to check the battery terminals and cables for corrosion. Clean them if they do show corrosion.
where is the throttle body? also what do i clean it with? towell?

can i drain the engine coolant myself?

i heard the spark plugs are real hard to replace? do i just take them out and install them the same way?

is the D&N air filter best?

i will check the pcv valve and the battery!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
you can drain the radiator fluid yourself, just unattach the hoses going into and out of the radiator. after all the fluid has drained, add 6 GM coolant pellets (get them from dealer) into the top hose. add coolant into the reservoir tank. you have a pre 96 so im assuming the previous owner didnt switch to dex-cool coolant.

as for air filter. do not use K&N, just waste of money. a regular air filter will be better and you can pick one up for less than $8 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,173 Posts
Remove the intake duct. The TB is right there. Kind of like the air horn portion of a carburator. Open the throttle plate, spray it with carb cleaner. Scrub the bore and throttle plate with a toothbrush and rag til clean. Don't forget the perimiter of the throttle plate.

Pull the lower radiator hose to drain the system. Pop in 4-6 sealant tabs (cooling system suppliment) and refill with premixed 50/50 green coolant and distilled water.

Spark plugs are quite easy after you move the ICM (ignition control module) out of the way. Just remove and reinstall new ones but check the gap on the new ones before installing. If you do plug wires at the same time, you can probably get a straight shot at the rear plugs without movinig the ICM. The plug wires are really what is in the way.

If you mean K & N filter, save your money and use a regular paper filter. Use the search feature to search for K &N and you'll see what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
87,173 Posts
If you are going to keep this car for a while and do your own maintanence and troubleshooting, a FSM is a must and will be money well spent.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Get the factory manual, either ebay or from http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=http://helm.com/

Consider taking a class at a Community college. We have one in the Phx area that is sponsored by a lot of the car companies. You can get a better automotive education there than at UTI (that's what they tell me). See what's available near you.

Otherwise you should get a friend that knows how to do all the above and he can guide you. You can get started with just a manual but it's harder than having a friend show you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
friends are over-rated, you cant really trust them!:thepan: i mean i have plenty of friends, but none of themare willing to help me ( i asked) but when they got a problem with anything iam the first too call

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
wash it, wax it,clean wheels, interior detail (ie: vacuum, clean/condition leather, windex windows and dash and everything else plastic/wood), clean door jams, clean engine bay. that should make your car a 100% better :p atleast visually

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Your friends are not really friends! Get some new ones!

Read, get some magazines, try the library for some books on car repair. Use the internet for info. The forums are pretty good for advice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also when i shut my car off or while its running it smells like rotton eggs? do i need a new catlast converter? muffler?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As stated check ebay for a repair manual.

If you want this car to run perfect then I suggest that you not be the one who works on it... just yet. Get a repair manual, preferably one that would be used by a mechanic at a dealer. Do lots of reading before you try to work on your Caddy, these aren't basic machines by any means. Someone suggested a taking an automotive course, that is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
87,173 Posts
deskjockey said:
Ranger, correct me if I'm wrong but is it safe to say the previous owner didn't W.O.T.?
Would that be a good suggestion?
Hard to say if you don't know the previous owner. Take her out and give her a dose once a week (safely).

A rotten egg smell is usually indicative of a rich condition. Check for a leaky FPR.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
If this is your first car or the first car that you have worked on yourself then I'll tell you, it's not the simplest car to learn on. That being said, if you are intelligent and patient enough to learn correctly it will be an invaluable experience and other cars will come easier by comparison.

Find a FSM and buy it. I just looked on Helm, Inc. for your car and for some reason they didn't list anything??? Anyway, if you find a FSM buy it no matter the cost (within $100) it will be worth it for your car.

If you haven't had some basic automotive courses in school it would be advisable to take one at your local community college as suggested. The will give you a good basic understanding of what you will be doing and how to do it. It will also give you connections to knowledgeable people for future reference should you need a little help.

We can also help here with some step by step instructions and/or tips on various maintenance tasks.

The list you have to do is fairly complete for getting your engine in top running condition and keeping it that way. The only thing I would add to Ranger's instructions on cleaning the TB is to clean out the EGR tubes while you are there.

When you open the throttle plate beneath you should see two tubes protruding up from the manifold floor. Those are the EGR tubes and they get clogged with carbon and other combustion spooge. Take a wire coat hangar and rod those little suckers out until they are clear and clean. Use copious amounts of carburetor cleaner to assist in the cleaning.

Once you have completed the TB and EGR tube cleaning be sure and disconnect the negative battery cable for at least one minute. This will cause the computer to do an idle relearn.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask any questions you have.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kev said:
If this is your first car or the first car that you have worked on yourself then I'll tell you, it's not the simplest car to learn on. That being said, if you are intelligent and patient enough to learn correctly it will be an invaluable experience and other cars will come easier by comparison.

Find a FSM and buy it. I just looked on Helm, Inc. for your car and for some reason they didn't list anything??? Anyway, if you find a FSM buy it no matter the cost (within $100) it will be worth it for your car.

If you haven't had some basic automotive courses in school it would be advisable to take one at your local community college as suggested. The will give you a good basic understanding of what you will be doing and how to do it. It will also give you connections to knowledgeable people for future reference should you need a little help.

We can also help here with some step by step instructions and/or tips on various maintenance tasks.

The list you have to do is fairly complete for getting your engine in top running condition and keeping it that way. The only thing I would add to Ranger's instructions on cleaning the TB is to clean out the EGR tubes while you are there.

When you open the throttle plate beneath you should see two tubes protruding up from the manifold floor. Those are the EGR tubes and they get clogged with carbon and other combustion spooge. Take a wire coat hangar and rod those little suckers out until they are clear and clean. Use copious amounts of carburetor cleaner to assist in the cleaning.

Once you have completed the TB and EGR tube cleaning be sure and disconnect the negative battery cable for at least one minute. This will cause the computer to do an idle relearn.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask any questions you have.

this is my first car that i will work on! and imma celebrate the holidays for now, we talk more tuesday, thanks alot guys

·
Super Moderator
87,173 Posts
Kev said:
The only thing I would add to Ranger's instructions on cleaning the TB is to clean out the EGR tubes while you are there.

Kev,
At first I thought you were talking about the "mouse holes" in the '93/'94. I was gonna say thanks for mentioning that, then I realized he has a '95 and I think you are talking about the 4.9.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts