Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a LOW mileage Eldorado or Seville for some time. I found a nice looking one on Hemmings but it was very expensive. I don't mind paying a high price for something that is in perfect shape but don't want to get burned either. It seems that everything I've seen is high mileage. Some years ago I had a beautiful 85 Eldorado but totaled it on black ice. I really miss that car. I found a mint one with 25,000 mi. that was almost the same thing but he wants $15,000 for it. I think I'd be better off with a newer one. Guess I'll just have to wait till the right one comes along. I need some moral support. :helpless:

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,960 Posts
They're out there: Low mileage, low price, good to excellent condition. All you need do is keep your checkbook in your pocket and do some searching.

FWIW there were 11,440 STS built in the 2002 MY. Factor in the SLS and Eldorado (which was terminated in 2002) and add in the 2000 - 2001 - 2003 - 2004 (SLS) builds and there are quite a few Northstar FWD Seville/Eldorado around.

·
Registered
2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible
191 Posts
2000+ is probably a good idea. Do you really think a 12-15 y.o. garage queen with LOW miles is better than a vehicle driven a lot, but lovingly maintained? Low miles won't protect you from leaking seals and gaskets...they just get old. Same for the rubber; hoses, belts, tires, etc. Merry Christmas

·
Administrator
74,960 Posts
Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on your interpretation of "garage queen". A car that sits on a rug 24/7/365 and is started and driven 30 miles once every couple of months qualifies handily. The same year/model that is garaged, cared for, and does maybe 5,000 - 7,000 miles/year might not be considered a "queen", rather - a fair weather driver.

My 2002 STS was built in 02/02 and now has 65,007 miles on it. That averages to 5,000 miles/year, fast forwarding to 02/15. The car is maintained, services performed, cleaned, washed, waxed, chancy parts replaced as necessary. I drive it in a "spirited" manner when out in the boonies. It has no problems and leaks/weeps not one drop of any fluid. Garage Queen or low mileage 2002 ? FWIW, other than my water hose/bucket in the driveway, the car has not been wet for any other reason in 6 years. The trucks take the weather beatings.

There are many similar cars out there. Within 4 miles of me there is a 2003 DTS that is owned by someone who maintains/drives it similarly. It has just over 48,000 on it, is in the same condition as my car and we take it over to Caroline County to wring it out once in a while. BUT there are qualifiers - Some "low mileage" cars are NOT cared for - as long as the engine starts when the key is turned, it gets driven......... and a lot of those cars have the hood latches frozen shut :rolleyes:.

As always, caveat Emptor - there ARE creampuffs out there.

·
Registered
07 CTS Sport traded for 2002 Eldorado ECS #1427
37 Posts
I'm guessing this is the one you are talking about. $15,000 is a little more than what you would look at spending for a Corolla with that many miles. It isn't the initial purchase price that is so bad - just budget about $100 - $150 per month to keep it maintained if you can't work on it yourself. That is what mine (2002 Collector Series) has cost over the past 3 1/2 years (36,000 miles - I bought it with 92,000), although it seems to be requiring less lately. I had some bigger expenses up front that I would hope this one wouldn't have (passive strut replacement, rack and pinion, half axles). Lately it just seems to be about $1,000 - $1,500 whenever I take it to the mechanic (radiator, motor mount, alternator, sway bar). It leaks a little oil on my garage floor now and burns about a quart every 1,500 miles. It is wonderful to drive and I'm saving for the potential of head gasket repair and reseal ($4,000 at http://northstarperformance.com/). It has never left me stranded or anything. I'm living with a broken fuel gauge, sunroof that doesn't stop automatically opening up - you have to manually stop it, and a drivers seat that doesn't move much, and an automatic trunk release that works about 1/3 of the time. Since I have liability only insurance (3 teenage drivers) and the low property tax on it I figure I'm saving at least $1,200 per year there over a newer Corolla so I'm about breaking even - paying my mechanic instead of the insurance guy and the government. Believe me the ride is much much more enjoyable. Eldorados don't get any newer than 2002. - My 2 cents worth.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/cadillac/eldorado/1691932.html

·
Registered
Triple Yellow 88 Biarritz, 92 Allante, 05 STS
103 Posts
Yeah, I used to be a low mileage only and would not consider higher mileage, sometimes the 75k-125k mile cars can be really nice too. Here is my 93 Seville, it is by far the nicest I have ever seen in my town, I bought it with 125k miles on it and it now has 132k, it was in far better shape than my 86 that I bought with 44k miles. It was a 2 owner car, I bought it from the 87 year old owner who got it in 2002 with 93k, he kept it in his heated garage always clean at all times and drove truck otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been looking for a LOW mileage Eldorado or Seville for some time. I found a nice looking one on Hemmings but it was very expensive. I don't mind paying a high price for something that is in perfect shape but don't want to get burned either. It seems that everything I've seen is high mileage. Some years ago I had a beautiful 85 Eldorado but totaled it on black ice. I really miss that car. I found a mint one with 25,000 mi. that was almost the same thing but he wants $15,000 for it. I think I'd be better off with a newer one. Guess I'll just have to wait till the right one comes along. I need some moral support. :helpless:
NO YOU DON"T WANT THAT CAR. YOU WILL BE SO MAD WITH A BEAUTIFUL BODY EXAMPLE, but a stone for an engine????? Research this car more before you spend your money. I just got out of a 2000 Seville SLS........HEED THIS WARNING.

·
Administrator
74,960 Posts
Curious - the person whom you quoted has not logged in for over 6 years and this thread died in 2015 - over 6 years ago. I would not expect an answer.

I have no complaints about my 2002 STS - great car. Had it for 15.3 years now, been reliable and relatively inexpensive to own/drive.

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle

·
2002 ETC ECS
26 Posts
NO YOU DON"T WANT THAT CAR. YOU WILL BE SO MAD WITH A BEAUTIFUL BODY EXAMPLE, but a stone for an engine????? Research this car more before you spend your money. I just got out of a 2000 Seville SLS........HEED THIS WARNING.
Good Morning AIS, Sub, It's been a while. ASI I have a 2002 Eldorado ETC ECS #667 Aztec Red, tucked away in the garage. It does have 49k loving miles on her but looks like the day she was born. I may be looking for a new home for her, but she's not cheep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2000+ is probably a good idea. Do you really think a 12-15 y.o. garage queen with LOW miles is better than a vehicle driven a lot, but lovingly maintained? Low miles won't protect you from leaking seals and gaskets...they just get old. Same for the rubber; hoses, belts, tires, etc. Merry Christmas
I sold my Very Good condition Florida owned 2001 Cadillac STS with 237,473 miles on it in August 2020 for $450. I wish I would have kept it until now September/ October 2021, when I probably would have been able to sell it for $2k - $3k! Oh well 20/20 hindsight is always perfect.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,327 Posts
I sold my Very Good condition Florida owned 2001 Cadillac STS with 237,473 miles on it in August 2020 for $450. I wish I would have kept it until now September/ October 2021, when I probably would have been able to sell it for $2k - $3k! Oh well 20/20 hindsight is always perfect.
=========================
I probably would have been able to sell it for $2k - $3k!
maybe - in your DREAMS!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts