Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought it in because I've been smelling a little bit of Antifreeze and oil inside.. I also figured I'd have that little shudder looked at (you know - the one that happens when I'm bearly hitting the gas) since I haven't had time to look at it.. Oh and I told 'em about the gas pedal sticking on that first 'hit of the gas'...

Anyway.. They checked out the leaks.. Rear main seal, water pump - and some other seal by the oil filter.. About $900.00 including labor.. Does that sounds about right? I'm thinking I've found a good mechanic...

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Better you than me, Sal. ;)

The FW I tested out a couple weeks ago had EXACTLY that same little "shudder" you described. I thought it was due to trash in the fuel lines or injectors.

And I couldn't pinpoint or describe the smell I was noticing. The salesman said it was some kind of mildewcide they used when they shampooed the carpet. I wasn't going for it, but I figured I could cover it up or get it out.

It had 59,600 miles on it, just like yours.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
So far since buying our '93 FW Brougham with 88.5k miles, we've only had to get two things repaired. First was the front brake pads (just a normal maintenance item) and second was the seal that I think you're talking about near the oil filter, because there was an ever so slight leak there. According to our mechanic, this seal just gets crushed down after a while and starts to let oil leak slightly, especially in certain GM cars. Other than that, nothing--I'm so glad this car was maintained so well by it's previous wealthy owners! That, and despite not having the power of the LT1, I think the older LO5 ends up having the edge in reliability anyway.

Our Buick Roadmaster, on the other hand, has needed more work. It has 185k miles, but is in awesome physical and mechanical condition. Just some things are starting to wear. First was belt (quick, easy, and cheap), then an O2 sensor because of running too lean for inspection, but the new one didn't do much and then started other problems. Soon after, the engine started to ping more while driving and would die after idling for a couple of minutes. At that time, the first mechanic replaced the pick-up coil and adjusted the timing. That cured the staling, but the pinging was still there about 25% and then it got a lot worse a month or so ago.

Took it to the mechanic last Friday, and they figured out what's wrong. First of all, the timing was off, but also the timing chain and timing gear are just about done. They gave an estimate of $380 to replace both with labor, but my father wanted to wait a couple of weeks, so he told them just to adjust the timing to the point that it ran the best. It only took him a few days to make up his mind and now the "Boatmaster" is going in for surgery on Wednesday. Hopefully, this is the last issue for a while because it's otherwise a great car.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Timing chain and gears = approx. 130K miles. At 185K miles, you're lucky it didn't come apart. Oh, and as for LO5 vs. LT1 dependability, I can't actually say we ever noticed a difference. The only issues we had with the LT1's that we didn't have with the LO5's was the cracking exhaust manifolds, broken exhaust manifold bolts, and leaking intake manifold seal (which oil-fouled #8 plug). We DID have a few Opti-spark issues but overall, the service life of most componentry was better on the LT1. The water pumps lasted longer, the timing chains went WAY longer, tune-up stuff like caps/rotors etc lasted a lot longer. In the end, the LO5 was a simpler engine to work on but the additional power of the LT1 always makes you glad you have it.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it be a BIG deal if I waited a little while to get these things repaired? Or should I get this stuff done right away? I wasn't really prepared for any expensive repairs...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The waterpumps DO "weap" a little from time to time. This is a favorite money-maker for mechanics. they show you evidence that it has leaked in the past and tell you that it means the pump's bad. I never replaced them until they were constantly showing leakage.
The rear main seal is a biggie but unless the leakage is pretty severe, you can hold off a little while. The oil leak by the filter is VERY common and VERY easy to fix.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think I mentioned it before, but that off idle stumble is fairly common and most likely and EGR valve. 30 bucks and 10 minutes and it's fixed.

The "sticking gas pedal" has been addressed here also. A little TB cleaner and a toothbrush and you've got that fixed for 3 bucks and 5 minutes.

The water pump? Very common. Probably leaking with the miles on the car. 35 bucks at NAPA. It'll take you maybe an hour, if you take your time. Do a radiator flush too, and replace your hose clamps with screw style and get rid of the crappy stock snap fit ones. So that's $35 for the pump, $4 for the antifreeze, $1 if you go with a gallon of distilled water instead of tap water, and 10 bucks tops for new clamps = $50.

Might as well replace the oil cooler lines if you're going to be in there doing the seal, they're only like 30 bucks and are probably leaking. Probably another hour.

So if you can take a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and do all this, you'll be out a little more than a hundred bucks and your problems will be gone. None of it is difficult, even if you do not have much experience in auto mechanics...

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.. The reason I'm interested in getting these things done is mainly because of the smell inside the car. It's not terrible, but you know it's there.. The antifreeze smell isn't there all the time.. And neither is the oil. I don't have much of an oil leak so I was pretty surprised to hear "rear main seal"..

Maybe I should just buy ramps and try the water pump myself.. Can anyone scan a page or two from a service manual? I haven't found any in stores near me..

I remember the other stuff being explained to me before, but I thought I'd just have it all taken care of at once.. I figured it wouldn't be too expensive..

Is it possible that I can do the rear-main seal? No, right?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Leaks

You guys have to learn to live with some leaks. Most engines will leak some. I have never had to replace a rear seal. Some oil leaks can be considered normal. Jeeezzz...$900. I think I'll just run it.

Logan

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Leaks

Logan.. Do you check your PMs?

Otherwise.. The oil leak is very small. The only real problem to me is, I smell oil in the cabin.. Otherwise, I wouldn't even care.. I wonder if the oil I'm smelling could just be coming from the filter area that's leaking...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sal,

The only time you should smell oil inside the cabin is if it is burning. This would happen if the oil was falling or being slung onto the exhaust somewhere. Naturally this would be easy to find due to the discoloration on the exhaust component where the burnt oil would be.

Does the smell happen at speed or when the car is pulled down to a stop? This could help identify wher the oil is coming from.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I remember correctly, I smell it mostly when at a stop. Otherwise, I've got more of the anti-freeze smell coming in... But the oil smell isn't always there. It's almost kinda rare, really..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
davesdeville