Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They said my oil sending unit needed to be replaced I didn't get it done my car runs great oil is good no leaks no issue so I went by napa auto and asked them how much was the part they couldn't find one they said do you mean oil pressure switch I said Im not sure they said oil sending unit .So my question is what does my car have and how would you know you where having a problem with it.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >130k miles
642 Posts
It is the oil pressure switch. If it has a problem you will get a check engine light and a code (P0520 for most cars but I cannot confirm this for the Cad). If you have no check engine light I don't know how they could have determined it was bad. Also, I prefer to check the connection and wiring to the switch, and apply dielectric grease to the connections to rule out any such issues before replacing the part.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
Oil sending unit, oil pressure switch, oil pressure sensor, etc., etc. - same critter but, depending on whether or not the vehicle has a gauge (moving needle) or icon (idiot light), the thing does different stuff.

Technically, an oil pressure switch turns off and on a light or icon in response to excessively low oil pressures. An oil pressure sending unit sends a variable voltage to a gauge, usually calibrated in psi but sometimes L - N - H (low, normal, high).

Have the car scanned at a local parts store. It has its own built-in diagnostic systems that check MANY things and keeps a record of faults and hiccups. Get the printout and use one of these links to further decipher any found codes.

Codes read out as a letter, 4 digits, a letter, like P 0305 C (Powertrain, miss detected, cylinder 5, Current).

P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = power and data
H = History - the fault has not been detected for X stat-run-drive events
C = Current - the fault is happening now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback.Now that I know a little more Im going to have my son check the connection and stuff because I was wondering how they came up with that to since I was having no problems .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts