Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a great drive in the V from Charlotte to Pittsburgh yesterday I was looking forward to the holiday weekend. Well, things were going well until last night around 2:30 am. My buddy and I were trying to stretch the night out so we took the V out for a cruise. Long story short I go on it and slammed it into 2nd, which I've done numerous times before and thats what the car is made to do...right? After releasing the clutch and nailing the gas we heard a large bang and horrible clunking, rattling etc. I immediately pulled the car over. I put it in gear again and a horrible bang, clang and horrible noises kept popping up. The car went into gear fine and drove fine but the noises and rattling, vibrating jump kept coming. I assuming the rear-end is blown? Any other thoughts? Happy thanksgiving.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
That's a half shaft. I did that twice. Sick sound ain't it.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
brtnharv said:
Half shaft? Could you explain a little more? What causes it? thanks.
Half shaft: read axel. The drive component that runs between the differential and your rear wheel hub.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
They call it a half shaft because we have an independent rear end set up. There is no solid or live axle, just two halves coming out of the carrier on each side. I broke one at the wheel and one at the diff, they called that an inner and outer half shaft failure on my service ticket. I did have pictures of the green goo that comes out of the boot on failure but I've deleted them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update from the dealer: They put it up on their lift 1st thing this morning and apparently its needs a new rear end and bushings. The parts are not in stock, which means the car will be out of commission for a few days.

Here lies my new dilemma.

I live in Charlotte, NC, and need to go back this Sunday. The car is in my hometown near Pittsburgh, PA. What will Cadillac do to help me out with transportation? I need to get back to Charlotte for this week. Has anyone dealt with this situation before? Having a disabled car out of state? What a great weekend. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
brtnharv said:
...I live in Charlotte, NC, and need to go back this Sunday. The car is in my hometown near Pittsburgh, PA...
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to blow of work Monday and Tuesday. Go out to a good Steelers bar Monday night, watch them whump the Colts, and then drive home with a hangover and a new rear tuesday evening.

Win-Win-Win in my book,

Chris

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
trukk said:
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to blow of work Monday and Tuesday. Go out to a good Steelers bar Monday night, watch them whump the Colts, and then drive home with a hangover and a new rear tuesday evening.

Win-Win-Win in my book,

Chris
Dude, that is so lame.....whip the Colts...Now Thats Funny!

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
CTSV05 said:
Dude, that is so lame.....whip the Colts...Now Thats Funny!
Shouldn't you be rootin' for the Bungles?

Are you giving the Steelers and 7 1/2?

Big Ben's from out your way, ain't he?

Tony

Check the avatar

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
trukk said:

Win-Win-Win in my book,

Chris
Oh YES..very much agree...on ALL aspects (especially the Monday night game...take the 8-10 points in a SECOND... I will be)

·
Registered
753 Posts
brtnharv said:
1 word. Maddox.

I am now officially a Ponitac driver. Oprah gave me a G6 for the week.
It could be worse. You could have gotten the G6 only after Oprah grabbed you by the back of the head and snarled, "Do that thing I like!":ill:

Be careful with that G6. They tend to steer towards every Starbucks they pass.

CR

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I would definitely take advantage of some time in Pittsburgh. Make sure you hit a sports bar somewhere on Pitt's campus.

And there should e no haggling n the loaner. It should be mandatory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts