Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided to buy a Double Din Navigation unit and want to retain the DIC and do the install myself or at least attempt to. I have no electrical experience but I'm very savy when it comes to understanding things. I purchased a JVC KW-NT3HD unit. With Nav, Bluetooth, HD radio, etc... I have completed Darkwings dash modification to raise the main board and Im ready to install the new unit and have no I dea where to start. I purchased the Pac OS-2c-CTS adapter to maintain ONSTAR etc. I also purchased the XM kit and the PAC SWI-jack to maintain steering wheel controls. I have read MJ's thread but it not descriptive enough for me. Does anyone have any other links that will help me get this thing installed? or can provide me any assistance. As always any help is greatly appreciated. Signed..... RIDING AROUND IN MY CTS WITH A BIG HOLE IN MY DASH UNTIL I GET SOME HELP.

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
374 Posts
MJS didn't use any of those add on components. He spliced right into the factory electric. I doubt that his write-up will be of that much use, considering all the extras you are going to use. I followed his instructions to the letter and kept all my functions (except RAP), however, I believe he wasn't using onstar and neither was I. So neither of us were worried about keeping that function.

The guy I bought my Pioneer navi from gave me a PAC madule to keep steering wheel controls. It didn't really look that hard to install, but I didn't even bother, so I can't comment on the level of difficulty.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
I am installing my Double DIN as well. I only have the PAC harness and thought that was enough to retain the steering wheel controls as well as the RAP function. I am just putting connectors on the pac side which will be connected to the head unit and the other side of the PAC connects to the stock radio harness...thats it...I also added in a relay to bypass the parking brake wire so I can view dvds while driving. Txbest who I bought the PAC off of had a double DIN in his and assured me that is all that was needed, so I would get rid of the PAC SWI-jack and wire it up how I am. If it doesnt work then find out how to wire in the PAC SWI-jack

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Txbest who I bought the PAC off of had a double DIN in his and assured me that is all that was needed, so I would get rid of the PAC SWI-jack and wire it up how I am. If it doesnt work then find out how to wire in the PAC SWI-jack
this is correct and exactly how i had mine installed and hooked up with no problems and had all of my steering wheel functions

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Thunder Grey
203 Posts
Doesnt the radio control your ability to turn of TC, view MPG, instant MPG, etc? How can you remove that and still be able to maintain all of that functionality...

Well, I shouldnt say HOW because Im sure there is a writeup if its possible, but I guess my question is, IS it possible and if so can you point me to the write up?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
you can turn the TC on/off in your glove box...

if you are stating retaining the DIC, then yes this has been done multiple times...if you go to cadillacfaq.com you will find darkwingfrog's writeup on how to do the cutout and what not and then follow gaetano or mjs0202's write up for wiring it

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
it takes a lot of time and patience for sure...but in the end, if done correctly it is definitely worth it

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I don't need the PAC SWI JACK? I can just splice into the lines going to my old head unit? hate to ask a stupid question but where should I start the wiring. Like i said I have no electical experience but I'm confident I can figure it out although it may take me 3-or 4 days. Went to crutchfiled and was able to find a color diagram of the connectors in the back of the factory unit with what each wire supplies. Thinking about it I guess the first step would be to splicethe harness for my new unit into the harnesses for the factory system I'm retaining. sound right?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Thunder Grey
203 Posts
Are you planning on soltering the wires or just twisting and taping?

Il be honest, I know nothing about this job. But if you are in the same boat I am and arent very electrically inclined, why not shell out ~$100 and get the job done right by a professional? is it possible you could figure it out and get the job done right? Of course! but your dealing with a whole lot of hassle, working towards something that may not be executed correctly, and can cost you a whole lot more in the long run.

I know the forums are here for people who want to DIY... but this is just my personal OPINION. Nothing wrong with paying quaility professionals to do your dirty work. Hey for all I know the job could be a breeze. I used to try anything and everything on my 95 Camry. But now your in the big leagues and the cost of failure is a lot higher LOL.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
No need to splice into the stock wiring....all you do is plug in the one end of the PAC 02-CTS with the stock radio harness and with the other end of the PAC unit you match the colored wires to the same colored wires on the head unit harness. Really not hard at all and will take 20 mins. I did it last night to mine..I have pics in the thread I started.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so your saying one end of the PAC goes to the new units wiring harness just match the colors? And the other end goes to the factory head or to the connectors that plug into the back of the factory head?

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What can I do to avoid tying that parking brake wire in? Can I tie it into my 12 v line? If not what are my options?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
depends on what unit you have and model. They all have different ways. My Pioneer AVH-p3200dvd requires that the parking brake wire be grounded AFTER the unit turns on thats why I have it set up to a relay... head to youtube and put in your brand and model and put bypass in and search, should come up with something...the relay on mine is super easy but yours will most likely be different.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok I found this on the webMy main concern was having to move a mute wire like on the AVIC units. However, on the JVC all you need to do is ground the parking brake wire and it acts as a master bypass for the entire headunit. I haven't tried DVD playback yet, but GPS in motion works beautifully[QUOTE][/QUOTE] now I just need to know how to go about it

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
Im having a problem with mine...Im putting everything back and I cant figure out which plugs go in the PAC-Audio unit and which stay in the DIC...do you know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts