Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For work, I drive a 2000 Chevrolet Astro AWD LS passenger van. It has 224k on it right now, it runs great, and on any given time, I've got about 1500 lbs of product in the back of it (everything aside from the front seats is removed). It's 4.3L V6 makes 190hp and 250 lb/ft of torque....which isn't too bad....in a 3700 lb Blazer, not a 6000 lb Astro (4500 lbs dry + 1500 lbs cargo), so as you can assume, it's slow.

But, I never timed it's 0-60 before, so today, on the way home from my territory, I was at a red light and went 0-60 under full throttle and got 14.8 seconds, which if I remember right, is right in HT4100 D-Body territory. But....much like the HT4100's I remember, it has enough power for normal driving in city and on the highway. By that, I mean it's got enough low end power so it never feels really strained when you drive it normally, not at 100% all the time. That's the way I remember HT4100's driving...they were OK if you drove it normally, but really slow if you drove it aggressively..

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The one and only time I drove a 4100 in a RWD D-car, the thing could hardly get out of it's own way. Shame, too, because it was a really nice '82 FWB, dove grey with matching vinyl top and leather interior. But, coming from the 425, I just couldn't accept the hideously sluggish performance. Now, in my aunt's FWD '87 Fleetwood d'Elegance, the 4100 performed very well. What a difference 1000 lbs makes! :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
They never should have been put in heavy body-on-frame RWD cars. Methinks GM caught the FWD bug a bit too soon and built the motor before building the car. Then while under government pressure, they dropped it in their big ones. I wish the 368 had been at least optional through that time.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly what happened. The HT4100 was designed for the smaller FWD cars, but they were delayed 2-3 years. They were supposed to be out in either '82 or '83.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
A dark era for Cadillac. Chad, not many people can relate to this because not many HT4100 cars remain on the road and of the few still going along I would bet not many owners would dare to do a Chad pedal to the metal test without risk of blowing the engine. :)

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove an '84 Sedan deVille once a few years back, and I did a "Chad style pedal to the metal test" and it didn't blow the engine. It did however blow my mind because it was so slow.

·
Registered
(2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme
690 Posts
I had an '84 coupe for a few years and I don't remember it being all that bad. The tranny actually went in that car while the motor still ran well (I won't say strong). Driving it across southern PA to Louisville though, I do remember it slowing down as we were going up the long mountains, but back then I thought that was the way a luxury car was supposed to be driven. You learn a lot over the years.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham and 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
27 Posts
I had the nicest 1985 Cadillac RWD Brougham with the 4100 engine and it was terrible. It was slow, leaked antifreeze, and it just ruined the car. It was a great looking car with no power and every time I drove it I felt I would never make it back home without breaking down. It only had a little over 50,000 miles. What a shame!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts