Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of service manuals yesterday. Hopefully they will help me figure out a problem that I just started having. I’ve had my car (94 sts, 65K miles) for about a month now and up until a couple days ago it has been running perfectly. The engine runs smooth at all speeds and it gets good mileage (25-26 highway).

Two days ago I noticed something strange when I started the car. The speedometer swung up to 150 mph and back to zero when I turned the key to the on position. I also noticed that the retained accessory power stopped working. The radio would shut off as soon as I turned off the engine. The car did this for the next couple start/stops. Then when I was leaving a parking lot, I put the car in drive and within about 10 feet of travel, the lights went out, the engine stumbled badly and the display reset. I noticed the fuel moving back and forth just before this happened. After this occurred the car ran perfectly fine except for one thing. The instrument panel lights would pulse when I used the turn signals. When I got home and shut the car off, the retained accessory power worked and the speedometer stopped acting funny while starting the engine. I checked the codes and I had I052, P052 and P109. These are all memory reset codes. No codes for anything else. The next day the car seemed to be running completely fine. Then later in the day when I was leaving a drivethru window, the engine died and the display reset itself again. I get the same three codes.

Looks like an electrical gremlin somewhere. Since I only get the memory reset codes, I am guessing that the PCM reset is the cause of the engine stall and not the other way around. I’m going to start with the schematics when they arrive. I think the display dimming while using the turn signals is a clue. I will look for possible loose connections that are related to the display and turn signals.

So far today, the car is running normally. I have been watching the battery voltage just incase it is a low voltage problem. It stays in the range of 13.7 to 14.2 volts.

Wish me luck.

Perry

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Not sure on the car dying or the retained accessory power, but with the gauges, I have seen something similar before. It was caused by either a misaligned connector, or a dirty connection at the instrument panel. All of the vehicles that thad those symptoms caused by those two problems had the press on connector that automatically engaged when the cluster was tightened down in the dash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveSmed said:
Not sure on the car dying or the retained accessory power, but with the gauges, I have seen something similar before. It was caused by either a misaligned connector, or a dirty connection at the instrument panel. All of the vehicles that thad those symptoms caused by those two problems had the press on connector that automatically engaged when the cluster was tightened down in the dash.
Thanks for the info. I’ll check into that.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Have your battery and alternator checked at autozone (or other parts store) for free.... That will at least give you a start!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts