Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of looking at these cars...particularly the Seville STS. Recently I have become aware of the oil leak problem that some Northstars have. I have done some searching to research this, but I still have questions. Is this a design flaw in all of the engines, just certain years, or does it just randomly pop up in higher mileage engines? I was really almost set on making one of these my new car this coming summer, but now I am not so sure. If I bought one, and 3 months later it starts leaking oil, I would get a litle heated if I had to tear the entire car apart to drop the bottom half of the engine. I am just basically wondering how big of a problem this is and if it is limited to certain years. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
There's Porche's that have major oil leaks too. The Northstar is a very reliable engine. There have been a few here and there that have had oil leak, but they were mostly the earlier models (i.e. 1993-1995 ect...) the newer engines are much less likeyl to ever develop this. I wouldn't be worried about it. Just maintain the vehicle, and take care of it and you'll get many years out of it. Just otu of curiosity, what year STS were you looking for?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
i have a 97 STS with about 124k with no oil leaks. It does consume oil more than I'm use to seeing but to my understanding that's normal. I researched the cars before I purchased mine and I found more negatives than positives, but I wondered why i could always count cars by 5 and one of them would be a caddie. On sites like these and others the majority of the post are about problems but just because you see so many doesn't mean that it is common.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
As stated above, the higher than average oil consumption is not uncommon. It improves if you drive it like you mean it. Read about it in the technical section.

Regarding leaks, there are leaks and then there is also seepage. Seepage is not uncommon--and it will not harm anything. Someone on here mentioned that it may actually keep the bottom of the car well lubricated.

Real leaks from the engine like a drip, are not common at all. I had a leak in an oil cooler line that was dripping to the ground a few drops per day, fixed it and now all I have is a minor seepage that keeps the bottom of the engine moist... but nothing that makes it to the ground.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Danbuc is entirely correct....
Also, you are not going to hear as much positive on a site that constantly helps trouble shoot problems. My 98 Eldo after correct servicing of fluids- coolant, oil, tran fluid, etc. is unbelievably dependable. No leaks and never lets up when the power is demanded. Others above are also correct-check out the Cadillac Technical Archive above and good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are looking at a mid 90's STS you will burn more oil than you will leak it. On a mid 90's STS you should be checking the oil every 1000 miles, and even the service manual will suggest oil consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal. The oil consuption issue is a fact of life on these cars, and it was engineered that way to promote top end lubrication for the 4 cam configuration. If you want to feel better about this consider the fact that it is recommended that you check your oil after every gas fill up on used BMW M cars, can't say the same for the new M releases. But if you buy a new RX-8 you had better carry a case of oil with it as you drive. Both my boss and neighboor sold RX-8's less than a year old because of the oil consumption, and very poor gas mileage. The new N-Stars use far less, but I would avoid a 2000. That was the first year GM addressed the consumption issue. There is a difference between the "STS" version of the NS and the 275 HP NS in this consumption issue as well. My 275 horse car uses just over 1 quart per change, my 300 HP car almost 2-1/2 in the same time frame. The cars are 97 and 96 and have similar mileage. If you maintain the NS per this forum, considering the coolant additive, the WOT procedures, and the oil consumption, you will not blow one up! With an open mind concerning the old school thinking about maintaining engines, the NS is a very durable and relaible powerplant. I've owned a Northstar car for 6 years, and then I bought a second one. What does that say about the engine/car?
:bouncy:

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
My 02 is bone dry (no leaks) and uses very little oil... And I drive the snot out of her... Would buy a second or a third in a heart beat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hey mtflight, what did you do to fix your oil cooler line leak? I checked through the dealership, and it was really expensive to get those lines... do you know of a cheaper source? other than a scrap yard?

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Find out what cooler line it is (there's a couple), and purchase it, and do it yourself. Mine was ~ $30, and thanks to class-A forum members like Ranger, eldorado1, and our long gone pal Bob, I was able to make it my DIY (or DIM --Do it myself) project.

It wasn't that tough to do, but as always clearance is an issue--scraped knuckles, etc.

I know of a Cadillac dealership that gives me good deals on parts. You can do similar prices through gmpartsdirect.com or maybe rockauto.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know which one it is...I have all that area cleaned and can see it's coming from a crimp. I checked with a dealer and it was like 90 bux for the replacement if I remember right... there's no way I'll pay that much for a rubber hose with crimped on lines.... I just thought maybe you went with a aftermarket- which you say autozone... I'll check there. I was thinkin maybe summit or something, as they offer these type of hoses- not exactly the same, but you just have to know the thread size and length you want. thanks

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
bbeck said:
I know which one it is...I have all that area cleaned and can see it's coming from a crimp. I checked with a dealer and it was like 90 bux for the replacement if I remember right... there's no way I'll pay that much for a rubber hose with crimped on lines.... I just thought maybe you went with a aftermarket- which you say autozone... I'll check there. I was thinkin maybe summit or something, as they offer these type of hoses- not exactly the same, but you just have to know the thread size and length you want. thanks
Yeah, for $90 you can get 3. I'll PM you the Caddy dealership that will hook you up with a much more reasonable price. Likely it will be close to aftermarket price, but OEM.

Mine was also leaking at the crimp. 92 STS? Means 4.9L.

Look I found a TSB:
Technical Service Bulletin said:
ENGINE OIL LEAK @ OIL COOLER LINE CRIMPED JOINT (NEW P/N) #92-649-105 - (May 19, 1992)

SUBJECT: ENGINE OIL LEAKING FROM AREA OF OIL COOLER LINE CRIMPED JOINT (REPLACE INLET/OUTLET COOLER LINES) VEHICLES AFFECTED: 1992 CADILLAC ELDORADO AND SEVILLE Some 1992 Eldorados and Sevilles may experience engine oil leaking from underneath the crimped joint or a tearing of the oil cooler hose beneath the crimped joint.
If this condition should occur, both inlet and outlet engine cooler lines should be replaced.
The part numbers have been superseded by new part numbers as follows:
Description New P/N
----------- -------
Hose Assembly-Engine Oil Cooler-Inlet 3538992
Hose Assembly-Engine Oil Cooler-outlet 3538993

For vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation J3176 at 0.4 hour for one, or J3177 at 0.5 hour for both.

General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
PM me your e-mail and I'll send you their contact info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found this part # on gmpartsdirect. was just wondering if anyone could confirm if it is correct. #25630628. seems to be right, and comes to 35 bux prior to shipping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
actually,... now that I look at it... there's three diff #'s for all three hoses....
To Radiator Hose, Cooler-25630629,
To Filter Hose, Cooler-25630628,
To Radiator Hose, Filter-25688308

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
25688308 is the one I replaced. It connects to the top of the rad, right below the upper hose. It was leaking at the crimp below the bent pipe. The other one was not leaking, so I left it alone. I think FR was not as pricey when it came to shipping, btw--price is about right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts