Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the CTS 258 hp AWD base suspension with 17's today and really marveled at the execution of this vehicle. Yes I'm going to order the 300hp DI motor and sports suspension...but all kidding aside..this base car is far from a base vehicle.

Anyone wondering if they would be disappointed with the 258 hp? I say drive one if you can. I was really impressed. The steering..the power ..the handling.. All wonderful.

I figure the 3.6 DI 300hp motor is only a thousand dollars more than the 3.6 258hp with the Automatic so for the money? I think its the better way to go but even so...for those that don't agree..

I can only say WOW! WHAT A GREAT CAR!

Kicks butt on the Mercedes, Bimmer and volvo S80..

the other cars are very nice but I really don't see why I would order one of the foriegn cars..

I like to buy american. I am admittedly pro american.. so please no flames..

That said.. GM really hit the target.

And as far as the linclon MKZ or MKX whatever the sedan is ..there is no and I repeat no comparision.

I'm really just excited to have driven the car today. It was a real treat that the salesman insisted we drive it.

Enjoy and btw..the interior was stunning.. (and I don't even care about interiors..)

Good luck deciding.

JB

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't driven a STS in years. I like them but prefer the smaller size and sportier look of the CTS. I'm sure the new STS is a great vehicle.

thanks

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Cadillac is targeting BMW. As you can see in the styling of the CTS's flared fender. I believe this is the 3 series? The STS is targeting the 7 series?

If you would be a 3 series fan rather than a 7 or 8 series than the CTS is for you.
P.S. I hate German junk cars. The CTS is sooooooooooo much nicer

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
The STS is a direct competitor for the 5 series

I read the review in Motor Trend (pretty sure it was motor trend at least) today and they called it the best Cadillac in the past 50 years, and the best handling American sedan ever. I think you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a bad review on this car.

And the dealer I take my car to has one as a rental :D

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I had my first up-close look at an 08 this evening when the dealership was closed. It was also a loaded unit, 3.6 DI with AWD and a sticker north of $47K. From 20' away, the car looked beautiful (as did the interior through the window). However, up close a couple things bothered me:

- The front grille and chrome looked very plastic. I compared it to the 08 STS sitting beside it and while both grilles were plastic, the CTS just seemed to scream "Plastic" louder.

- Then there's the chrome: front, back, sides, seat back emblems, etc. It just seems a bit much, especially when compared to the more austere look of the current CTS.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
780 Posts
- The front grille and chrome looked very plastic. I compared it to the 08 STS sitting beside it and while both grilles were plastic, the CTS just seemed to scream "Plastic" louder.

- Then there's the chrome: front, back, sides, seat back emblems, etc. It just seems a bit much, especially when compared to the more austere look of the current CTS.

Just my two cents...
I'm inclined to agree with you about the grill, but not about the chrome - the chrome trim is terrific. In fact, that's what the grill needs: more chrome. I have NEVER understood the aversion many people have towards chrome trim.

Practically everyone ( well, if your normal anyway ) likes the glamorous and spectacular cars of the sixties, and one thing they all shared in common was chrome, and a lot of it.

Properly done, chrome trim can absolutely set off and enhance the lines, form, and details of a car, so get over it people: BRING BACK CHROME.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
129 Posts
I had my first up-close look at an 08 this evening when the dealership was closed. It was also a loaded unit, 3.6 DI with AWD and a sticker north of $47K. From 20' away, the car looked beautiful (as did the interior through the window). However, up close a couple things bothered me:

Just my two cents...

I'll bet a more expensive front-end wouldn't meet front-end crash repair cost standards; besides, the aftermarket suppliers will have nice options available soon. As for the chrome, I'd prefer the interior without the metal chevron on the seat back. As for the outside, I think the amount of chrome is just right--especially on the white diamond and lighter exterior colors. For the upcoming CTS-V, I'll bet the chrome will be more reserved.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw the car in person and thought the grille looked great. Of course converting to a V series type grille could be cool when the time comes would be cool too.

JB

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Just a quick comment - if you go back a few months to all the pre release hype on the 08 CTS, you'll see one of the big things Cadillac engineers pointed out was how the front grill was so curved, angled and made of...METAL! That's right all you plastic chrome, chrome plastic fanatics, the engineering marvel (as reported) of the front grill is they had to construct that curved multi-dimensional piece from metal and not plastic.

If plastic is the issue, I'll say it again (as I have in a different post), parts of the interior still feel plastic like and cheap. I think the satin accents could have been of heavier construction. Anyway, hope that helps with the construction materials discussion.

·
Registered
CTS-V
238 Posts
If plastic is the issue, I'll say it again (as I have in a different post), parts of the interior still feel plastic like and cheap. I think the satin accents could have been of heavier construction. Anyway, hope that helps with the construction materials discussion.
That's one of the first things I noticed on the inside. Now that GM is finally getting the look of the plastics right, its time to address the cheap feel. Cadillac is not going to get a pass for cheapo feeling interior plastics.
I also wonder how the lower bumper gray plastics are going to hold up under dings. I hope they are colored through, and not surface coated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have complete confidence the gray panel out back will always be gray.. as long as the car is washed..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts