Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect the dealership damaged my car or was damaged when in their lot overnight - scratch/small dent in lower part of rear passenger side door into the front door (green paint transfer). Difficult to see if you're not looking for it.

Took it in for warranty work, left it there for a day. When I got it back, I went to do a walk around of the vehicle. Just before I got to the location of it, the service agent distracted me with a pointless question. I didn't continue my inspection, I'm upset with myself on that part. I'm uncertain if I would even notice it since it was so low on the door.

2-3 weeks later I was hand washing my car. When drying I noticed the scratch/dent. I keep this car in a garage against a wall. No way it happened there. I only maybe drove 100 km in those 2-3 weeks to visit family. I can only suspect it happened at the dealership. The service manager, of course, wouldn't admit anything, saying 2-3 weeks is too long to report it. Lol, why should that matter? That doesn't prove they didn't do it, only that it went unnoticed for that amount of time.

I then posted an online review on google and facebook. Pretty much exactly what I wrote above. The general manager calls me up the next day saying I'm slandering them (lol okay), and they are family business that don't distract people from damage done to a car (except thats exactly what they did to me). I told him I wrote the word "suspect" so its not slander, and why run up to a guy to ask them a question "How do you keep your car in such good shape" when hes doing a walk around about to see damage. The sales manager called me a day before and wants to resolve the issue by repairing the car, but I haven't heard back from him. After talking to the general and service manager they don't seem to be on the same page as the sales manager. I don't want to leave the car with them now.

It looks like a cart hit it, but not a shopping cart, as its so low on the door. I found a typical shopping cart used in the city the basket doesn't line up at all. And I never went grocery shopping with the car this year.

Anyways, its looks like i can't go after them in court since I have no proof. The quote at a good body shop to do a proper repair, pull dent repaint both doors is 1500 CAD. I guess I need to eat the amount. I'm really upset. Any other suggestions? What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,894 Posts
Good evening and Welcome Aboard !!!

Your identical thread in The Lounge has been deleted. No sense diluting responses over two forums.

·
Registered
96 FWB
889 Posts

Anyways, its looks like i can't go after them in court since I have no proof. The quote at a good body shop to do a proper repair, pull dent repaint both doors is 1500 CAD. I guess I need to eat the amount. I'm really upset. Any other suggestions? What do you guys think?
Suggestions would be what you've perhaps already come up with yourself. Even after that much time, and if I had resurrected the events as you did, then I would request and hold out for a meeting with the general manager (if not the owner) and then recount the day to him (her), and the peculiar questioning (and timing), and your most likely scenarios for damage. You would not be relying on unavailable 'proof', so either you get a receptive ear and forward-leaning options that satisfy you, or, you get slammed down cold with a thousand excuses. He might even help you investigate the cart scenario, or just offer something to make you part whole as good will. It could be a factor of how much business you do there.

If you get stonewalling and denial, then you're no worse off than now, but now better sanctioned to what review you gave without them crying foul and you boxed in suspecting retaliation if they did come back and offer to perform some or all repair.

As it is, just pay your comprehensive deductible and chalk it up to a cheap life's lesson. Oh, and no sense being all that upset. You're gonna have a heap more financial injustice piled on in your lifetime to give a spit about a car ding.

And welcome to the Cady Forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As it is, just pay your comprehensive deductible and chalk it up to a cheap life's lesson. Oh, and no sense being all that upset. You're gonna have a heap more financial injustice piled on in your lifetime to give a spit about a car ding.

And welcome to the Cady Forum.
First, thank you for your reply. And again, I am not angry, I have been civil and calm towards them and everyone around me through this ordeal. But I think anyone would be upset about the described interaction with the dealership. I'm losing both time and money dealing with this mess. Yes, its only a car, but I want to have something damaged repaired. Its completely reasonable.

As for the dealership, they haven't returned my calls, I think they started ghosting. This is the only car I purchased from them so far and I do all my own maintenance. So I'm fairly certain they don't care about my business. Only my negative reviews.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,307 Posts
I would feel the same way. As others have said, try speaking with the general mgr or owner. I think you said they are willing to repair it but have not heard back. I would follow up on that. Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would feel the same way. As others have said, try speaking with the general mgr or owner. I think you said they are willing to repair it but have not heard back. I would follow up on that. Best of luck!
Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, the sales manager called me saying he would take care of it. But then I got a call from the General Manager the next day, who started accusing me of slander (for the review post on google), and denied the damage saying his dealership would never distract someone inspecting a car. I could somewhat tell he was holding back. I guess the owners don't like the bad reviews....(I wrote the review after getting blown off by the service manager)

I told him I had talked the to sales manager the day before, I suggested he touch base with him to get on the same page. I didn't want the sales manager to get into *trouble since I assume the general manager is his boss. The gen manager said he'd get back to me, haven't heard from him in two days (i'll give it another week). I'm going to call my insurance on monday. See if I'll get penalized if I make the claim. I think my deductible is 500, so there is a 1000 gap there. I can afford the 1k to keep my claims record clean. But i"m not sure if its worth it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A week is a long time in my books. You can always say you would like to amend your review when the car is repaired by them. That might be incentive enough for them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A week is a long time in my books. You can always say you would like to amend your review when the car is repaired by them. That might be incentive enough for them.
I'm waiting a week before using insurance or my own money for the repair. I have left a message on the sales agent voice mail. I'm waiting a week to see if they'll return my calls, otherwise I'm certain they're ghosting me. I think it would be pointless to show up at the dealership since I have no real proof. They would probably just not talk to me and maybe ask me to leave.

As I wrote, the last conversation with the general manager he was being pretty rude. He accused me of slander then said he would call back and never did. I left a message with the sales manager, he was the only one who wanted to help. Lets see if he calls back.

·
Registered
96 FWB
889 Posts
.......(I wrote the review after getting blown off by the service manager)

I told him I had talked the to sales manager the day before, I suggested he touch base with him to get on the same page. I didn't want the sales manager to get into *trouble since I assume the general manager is his boss. The gen manager said he'd get back to me, haven't heard from him in two days (i'll give it another week). I'm going to call my insurance on monday. See if I'll get penalized if I make the claim. I think my deductible is 500, so there is a 1000 gap there. I can afford the 1k to keep my claims record clean. But i"m not sure if its worth it.
I misread the chronology in your first post, apologies. You did everything, and in the right order as I would have. The Sales Mngrs. rate pretty low, and if the GM is agin ya', then you're on your own. I don't think 'no fault' comp claims impact rates, but good you're confirming. Mine even has 'forgiveness' for a fault accident. The first time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, I went over the day I took back the car. Everything was just off and unusual when I came into pick up the car from my previous experiences. I even remember the service manager, who I never met before coming to the floor (when I was waiting on the porter to bring the car around). He asked me about the logo on my shirt. I politely answered the question, he then moved on, then as I mentioned when I did the walk around I was interrupted, with a pointless question by the service agent. I was never interrupted the other times previously there. Its just really fishy.

Also the AC was all screwed up when driving home, I realized the outside air temp was 0 deg C on the display. It was actually 35 deg C, this is really hot. So the car was turning on the seat warmers and the AC was running really low. I managed to reset the CUE, the OAT came back after a restart of the engine. I called the service manager about this, when getting on the phone, I announced my name and I car I have, and he knew who I was right away and started talking about my shirt again. We never introduced ourselves prior. I honestly think the service manager and service agent knew about the damage and were trying to hide it. Hoping it would go unnoticed for a while so the could use the time its been away as an excuse if I ever complain about it. The service agent also tried to upsale me on break cleaning, which I refused.

The GM and sales manager obviously never heard about this before. And are just trying to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,843 Posts
Reading this post for the first time I believe you (OP) waited much too long to report this to the dealership. Next time when you drop your car off take a complete walk-around video and let them see you doing that. Upon picking up your vehicle do another complete walk around at the dealership. If interrupted do it again. If you see an issue that is the time to address it, not even a day later. Sad but true. Unfortunately you will have to take your lumps and learn another of life's lessons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reading this post for the first time I believe you (OP) waited much too long to report this to the dealership. Next time when you drop your car off take a complete walk-around video and let them see you doing that. Upon picking up your vehicle do another complete walk around at the dealership. If interrupted do it again. If you see an issue that is the time to address it, not even a day later. Sad but true. Unfortunately you will have to take your lumps and learn another of life's lessons.
As I wrote in the original post, I was interrupted during the return walk around at the point of the damage. I do walk around every time I leave or pick up a car. This scratch dent is very hard to see, its below the door seam, very low on the door. I know I should've picked up on what they're doing. But I'm not going to beat myself up on it. Since they were actively trying to distract me / scam.

I believe the blame is on them with their scummy practices. We shouldn't victim blame with this sort of thing. I'm not upset if was an accident, they do happen. If they came clean and fixed it, I would accept their apology.

·
Registered
2013 ATS v6
553 Posts
I suspect the dealership damaged my car or was damaged when in their lot overnight - scratch/small dent in lower part of rear passenger side door into the front door (green paint transfer). Difficult to see if you're not looking for it.

Took it in for warranty work, left it there for a day. When I got it back, I went to do a walk around of the vehicle. Just before I got to the location of it, the service agent distracted me with a pointless question. I didn't continue my inspection, I'm upset with myself on that part. I'm uncertain if I would even notice it since it was so low on the door.

2-3 weeks later I was hand washing my car. When drying I noticed the scratch/dent. I keep this car in a garage against a wall. No way it happened there. I only maybe drove 100 km in those 2-3 weeks to visit family. I can only suspect it happened at the dealership. The service manager, of course, wouldn't admit anything, saying 2-3 weeks is too long to report it. Lol, why should that matter? That doesn't prove they didn't do it, only that it went unnoticed for that amount of time.

I then posted an online review on google and facebook. Pretty much exactly what I wrote above. The general manager calls me up the next day saying I'm slandering them (lol okay), and they are family business that don't distract people from damage done to a car (except thats exactly what they did to me). I told him I wrote the word "suspect" so its not slander, and why run up to a guy to ask them a question "How do you keep your car in such good shape" when hes doing a walk around about to see damage. The sales manager called me a day before and wants to resolve the issue by repairing the car, but I haven't heard back from him. After talking to the general and service manager they don't seem to be on the same page as the sales manager. I don't want to leave the car with them now.

It looks like a cart hit it, but not a shopping cart, as its so low on the door. I found a typical shopping cart used in the city the basket doesn't line up at all. And I never went grocery shopping with the car this year.

This is why I hate having my car serviced EVERY SINGLE TIME something goes wrong. The last time I had my oil changed they wanted to see if they could sell me a air filter so they took the air cleaner box apart and put it back together with a cordless drill with a screwdriver bit and stripped out the screw holes in the box. I guess I'm not the only one with bad luck. Oh, and you can't fix luck. :-(

·
Registered
96 FWB
889 Posts
+1 on PDR. Actually +100. I saved a ton of bucks on Comp claims using one with the kids growing up. Between the two of them one outfit nearby got to know me pretty well, along with one '92 Geo Prizm in particular.

Guys. Anytime I get to crying in my milk to where the glass overflows, I just recall how absolute $Iht it must be for women who walk into most any business immediately pegged as an easy mark, especially those in tech, mechanical, electrics and industry. And that includes a lot of businesses. Those who know better have to suffer the childish antics of guys acting like a creepy relative trying to take advantage of them, and those naive enough who do get taken get to feel miserable with themselves every time they discover it.

When a guy gets the shaft it's often an exception to the rule. With women it's more a relentless fact of life.

Cliffs: Patience with women and kids around cars. I've made sure my sisters, wife and kids all know their way around them, and on using critical thinking to keep service providers in check.

Reactions: BruceCoupe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is why I hate having my car serviced EVERY SINGLE TIME something goes wrong. The last time I had my oil changed they wanted to see if they could sell me a air filter so they took the air cleaner box apart and put it back together with a cordless drill with a screwdriver bit and stripped out the screw holes in the box. I guess I'm not the only one with bad luck. Oh, and you can't fix luck. :-(
I hear you. I had a 2000 pontiac sunfire, the seal at the water pump started leaking. I just moved to a new city. I was busy moving and working at my new job. So I got lazy and decided to go to a mechanic near my house to get a new pump installed. Checking after the job was done, I noticed they broke all the plastic snap things for the cables around the water pump. I went back in and told the guy at the desk. The mechanic who did it came out said he didn't have any of those plastic connectors/snap to replace and to just leave it. I was like whatever man, I'm not coming back here. Thats an incomplete job in my books. Went to a local junk yard and got what I needed.

I hate people who don't care about the craft they're doing.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
+1 on PDR. Actually +100. I saved a ton of bucks on Comp claims using one with the kids growing up. Between the two of them one outfit nearby got to know me pretty well, along with one '92 Geo Prizm in particular.

Guys. Anytime I get to crying in my milk to where the glass overflows, I just recall how absolute $Iht it must be for women who walk into most any business immediately pegged as an easy mark, especially those in tech, mechanical, electrics and industry. And that includes a lot of businesses. Those who know better have to suffer the childish antics of guys acting like a creepy relative trying to take advantage of them, and those naive enough who do get taken get to feel miserable with themselves every time they discover it.

When a guy gets the shaft it's often an exception to the rule. With women it's more a relentless fact of life.

Cliffs: Patience with women and kids around cars. I've made sure my sisters, wife and kids all know their way around them, and on using critical thinking to keep service providers in check.
I'd have to disagree with the women comment. Ime they will try and do take advantage of anyone regardless of gender. Seems to be age related too...the younger one is ie 20's and the older one is ie. 60's seems like you have a target on you saying 'sap' can be taken for a ride (money wise).

·
Registered
2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury
944 Posts
OP, sorry about the damage to your car. I believe you. This will not assist your damage claim but may provide some satisfaction.

I had a similar situation with a rental car. Walk around with the agent who chattered constantly. Sun was almost blinding. I noted a dent in front and called it to the agent's attention. She seemed to move her pen to the paper. She made more distractions as I looked the paperwork over. Returned car parked headed in on a Sunday. Place closed on Sundays. I had to add three quarts of oil shortly after pickup.

Nine months later I received a bill for $1900.00 body damage in front. I contacted my insurance agent. He demanded an audit from Enterprise of each rental during the time as well as maintenance records.

I only heard from them once. They called and offered to reimburse for oil if I had the receipt!

Sorry about you car. Hope you don't incur high costs for repair. Please update us on your progress.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,519 Posts
I think it is unreasonable to wait 2-3 weeks after your car left the dealership to call about damage. Even if someone distracted you there is plenty of time to look the car over. I wouldn't recommend writing a bad review on the dealership while you are still trying to work it out. There isn't a good reason to not wait until the final outcome to write the review and it only reduces the chances of you getting resolved to your satisfaction. I also wonder about a $1500 repair estimate for damage that as you said "Difficult to see if you're not looking for it." (I haven't seen the damage so a guess).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think it is unreasonable to wait 2-3 weeks after your car left the dealership to call about damage. Even if someone distracted you there is plenty of time to look the car over. I wouldn't recommend writing a bad review on the dealership while you are still trying to work it out. There isn't a good reason to not wait until the final outcome to write the review and it only reduces the chances of you getting resolved to your satisfaction. I also wonder about a $1500 repair estimate for damage that as you said "Difficult to see if you're not looking for it." (I haven't seen the damage so a guess).
I disagree, the distraction caused the 2-3 weeks, the car is rarely used parked next to a wall, I don't believe it was damaged in that time. Moreover, I wrote the bad review after the service manager ignored my concerns. The GM called me about the review. I only stated the facts in the review. Its not slander. I'm only sharing factual information with the public, there is no harm.

Maybe the dealership should be better and start doing walkarounds of high valued or new cars with the customer. Rather than running up to people distracting them (with a pointless question) while doing their own.

edit; The dent is in the rear passenger door with the scratch to the metal, its just under the lower seam on the door. The scratch continues to the front door, although there is not metal showing on that side. The dent will need to be pulled, then filler will need to used on both doors and repaint. Its a straight line scratch following the lower seam on the door, for a 6 ft tall person looking down, it can be hard to see at first depending on how close you're to the car. I asked my brother to do a quick walk around, he missed it too. And I wasn't distracting him. Also its 1500 canadian dollars, its not that much now a days with inflation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts