Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was really weird. I was racing a Ferrari 355, and while shifting from 1st to 2nd, I ripped the shifter knob right of the shifter! It took me a second to get it back onto the stick with the boot still on (while driving of course), but then the knob "locked" itself back onto the stick like nothing happened. Now it seems like it's on there just fine again. I made many a forceful shift after that and it won't come off again.

Anyone else encounter this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
"Put down the 'roids".....

Seriously, it hasn't yet happened to me but my shifter knob has started to wiggle slightly (side to side movement).....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slywun said:
"Put down the 'roids".....

Seriously, it hasn't yet happened to me but my shifter knob has started to wiggle slightly (side to side movement).....
Now that I think about it, I think it started with a little knob wiggle first, and then the next serious shift ripped it off. Damn car only has a few thousand miles on it (95% highway miles).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
It did it to me when I was racing a Camaro SS. It came off then I just put it back on. I obviously lost the race. That guy drove off and was never able to catch him but I'm sure he thought he blew me away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
It's happened to me also. I was racing a 05 GtO at the time. I just gave it a good pop on the top and it locked back down. It has since happened a few other times, pop it on the top and it goes back on - oddly, I couldn't pull it off if I had to..lol

I'll let the dealer look at it next time I have a few things piled up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
The V my friend drove at Autoshow in Motion had that problem. He just lifted the knob right off. I didn't experience it in the one I tested. Those cars go through literally thousands of drivers in 5 days though.

How is the knob secured? Don't they usually thread on or have a snap-ring?
-Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
almost,..almost every V I have driven,..with a stock setup...the shifter ball has popped off. Kinda SUCKS......but you just have to pop it back on.

Recomendation...

Buy yourself a KATECH shifter,...and re-apply your shifter knob that would now be threaded,...and you'll never have the problem again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
verbs said:
...I ripped the shifter knob right of the shifter!..
Same thing happened to me this weekend. I was out of town for a golf weekend with the guys, and was cruising around like I was hot sh!t, when POP, off it came. My friends teased the hell out of me for that one :(

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Wish I could pull mine off. I hate the CTS-V shifter! That awful seam on the front edge drives me nutz. Plus, it doesn't feel good in the hand. Needs to be either made of metal and shaped different (pistol grip like the old mopar stuff? round metal ball?). Anyone found a nice and easy upgrade for this? Even a burled wood or billet knob would be nice...

Skeeter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Skeeter said:
Wish I could pull mine off. I hate the CTS-V shifter! That awful seam on the front edge drives me nutz. Plus, it doesn't feel good in the hand. Needs to be either made of metal and shaped different (pistol grip like the old mopar stuff? round metal ball?). Anyone found a nice and easy upgrade for this? Even a burled wood or billet knob would be nice...

Skeeter

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/lastss/

Marty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Happened to me too. Apparently the knob is press fitted to the shaft. I used a *gentle* tap with rubber mallet and it hasn't happened since. I covered the silver thingy with the shift pattern with a towel so it didnt dent it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
SilverBullet said:
Happened to me too. Apparently the knob is press fitted to the shaft. I used a *gentle* tap with rubber mallet and it hasn't happened since. I covered the silver thingy with the shift pattern with a towel so it didnt dent it.

Palming that thing works well too. 1 quick jab,...and bam,..its back in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
lol man thats happened to me 2 , i thought i was the only one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Never happened to me. You guys are all muy macho. Me: sometimes I eat nachos.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
VELOSE
Top