Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 SDV
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this is nothing to be concerned about. . but I can't imagine this is factory or normal...
I've got the cover back on and I'm hoping some new fluid + additive makes this work right.
The symptom is a clunk while turning from a stop. Other than that no problems. From what I understand this is often remedied with new fluid and a bottle or two of additive. .

But now I'm wondering why are the springs different colors? I noticed 2 yellow at the top, and two metal colored at the bottom. And from a little research the yellow springs are for racing?

I'm taking a break this seems annoying... new rear control arms and now this nonsense.

Hopefully fluid + additive will fix it, if not I'll get it rebuilt if need be. . .

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,647 Posts
more informed members will come along to help. This is out of my wheel house. At the bottom of the pic is that chocolate pudding or sludge?

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,814 Posts
I'm no expert either, but the combination of symptoms from your other thread plus what looks like rather sorrowful visuals of that current lube, I say there's statistically a lot less to worry about regarding errant springs than the much higher probability that the binding will be solved with fresh fluid and genuine old 'dino' additive. And all I've ever read is one bottle is perfectly adequate, but do not use synthetic additive.

On the bright side be glad you got the old Eaton style posi and not the later used Auburn cone type.

Reactions: SoCalESV

·
Registered
78 SDV
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks FTSS, fingers crossed the new fluid does it. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
78 SDV
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found this online.... maybe that's what I have going on?
I'll report tomorrow with how it acts with the new fluid + additive.

Light Product Motor vehicle Font Rectangle

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
522 Posts
The lower Spring is sitting in lube all the time so that is what may have deteriorated The yellow paint on the lower one.

Roy

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,837 Posts
Ummm - that entire posi carrier cage and ring gear rotates with the axles. :cool:

·
Registered
78 SDV
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, so I replaced the fluid with Valvoline 80-90 and added 2 bottles of the 4 oz ACDelco friction modifier... the corvette guys say to add two, they seem cool, I want to be cool too!

I drove a couple towns over to the Office Depot parking lot. I picked it because not many people go there these days. I went to the vacant end of the parking lot and did 15 circles left, then 15 right. I could hear the tires chirp just a little then at some point they let up and stopped making any noise. I then turned the wheel fully left and took off from a dead stop, nothing, I repeated turning right and nothing.

I made it back home a did a little bit of a launch in the dirt, to make sure the posi still engages easily and it seemed to work.

I don't know what's going on with the different color springs, but if it works and stays quiet then I'm happy!

I also have the ovaltine fluid in my drain pan. I could bottle it and sell it, but it would be more rare than Josta Cola or Billy Beer, so I would have to price accordingly.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts