Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I plan on keeping my 97 DeVille for a very long time, and was considering getting an extended warranty. I know of a reputable company that will cover similar to a "powertrain" warranty. My car currently is just over 100,000 miles. The warranty costs aproximately $1500 to start coverage for another 100,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first with no deductable.

Do you guys think it's worth having if I plan on keeping my car?

I've already had the gaskets changed, and a new short block engine installed by the dealer. What worries me is the transmission. It's working fine, but I just think it's going to be the next big thing to go.

Here's the link to what's covered:
https://www.carwarranty.com/whats_covered.asp

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Hi guys, I plan on keeping my 97 DeVille for a very long time, and was considering getting an extended warranty. I know of a reputable company that will cover similar to a "powertrain" warranty. My car currently is just over 100,000 miles. The warranty costs aproximately $1500 to start coverage for another 100,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first with no deductable.

Do you guys think it's worth having if I plan on keeping my car?

I've already had the gaskets changed, and a new short block engine installed by the dealer. What worries me is the transmission. It's working fine, but I just think it's going to be the next big thing to go.

Here's the link to what's covered:
https://www.carwarranty.com/whats_covered.asp

Thanks in advance

I like the bold print. Contract actually bolds things like FAILURE OF PART (is nec to be covered). They are up front, and I believe they say that they will cover certain parts provided that those parts specifically BREAK. I don't think they cover parts that simply wear. I think it even says that it will not cover smoking engine. Transmission section specifies that bands are not covered. Other: sludge is a disqualification. I don't believe gaskets and seals are covered. Failure to maintain car according to manufact recommendations is reason for denial of coverage. I suspect they will DEMAND to see proof of maint as recommended by dealer and by this contract.

I personally think that a lot of third party warranties have more holes than swiss cheese. Some people put that $$ in the bank for future repairs. That way EVERYTHING is covered (by your bank account).

You could have a service mgr or two (Ford, GM, Chrysler) read this and give you his/her opinion. You only cost for that would be a cup of Starbucks and some banananananan bread. (I know how to spell banana; I just don't know when to stop.)

Keep in mind that about a dozen warranty companies go bankrupt every year. This is the first contract that I have seen that has a 90 day waiting period. (Others have an inspection.) Also, it is the first I have seen with a $$ amount limit per major part.

As you can see, I am not wild about your proposed idea. Talk with some experts at the dealers.

T

·
0 Posts
Hi 97DevilleBeige, I bought my 98 Deville from a Wagner Cadillac 2 months ago with a 30 day 1000 mile warranty. The salesman tried to sell me a $1500.00 warranty - 36 months or 3 year drivetrain only warranty, he said it was a 50/50 warranty. I said what's that? He said we pay half and you pay the other half to get fixed, and they would already have the 1500.00 plus interest it drew for their half of repair cost. LOL Needless to say I opted out. I have to say Wagner Cadillac in Tyler Texas gave me the very best purchase experience of a car I ever had. They let me take a 2007 used Cadillac 70 miles home a week later for a day while they washed and detailed my car because I took it the day I bought it before it was detailed. TexasCadillac...cruisin

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, thats definitely a good idea to bring the contract to the service manager to see what he thinks. I think I'll do that. I was under the impression a transmission would cost double that from a dealer.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Warranties for older cars like that are usually snake oil and have EXTREME limitations on whats covered. Think about it, they are in business to MAKE money and old cars with 100k miles BREAK constantly. Normally i say i wouldnt own a northstar cadillac without a warranty, but you already HAD the headgaskets done, I agree with those who say the transmission isnt going to cost much more than the warranty. PASS

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a 5 year 100K bumper to bumper with a $50 deductable on my '03 Deville (it had 78k on it when I bought it) for $2200.00. I have used it three times now, twice for ABS sensors (two different sensors) and once for a problem with the auto leveling system. If the numbers on the invoices are correct it has pretty much paid for itself.

So for me it was worth it. But you may also never use it. Some people think they are a huge wast of money but for me, when I buy a used car that has parts that can go bad that can cost as much as the extended warranty, I just buy the warranty. For me the key is getting one that covers everything, not just the powertrain.

Tom

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, thats definitely a good idea to bring the contract to the service manager to see what he thinks. I think I'll do that. I was under the impression a transmission would cost double that from a dealer.
Many dealers do not work on transmissions. They farm them out. Then they probably tack some overhead on top of what the tranny shop charged them.

I always ask dealers where they refer their cars for tranny work.

Also, Caddies have pretty stout transmissions. I would not worry about them going out.

Lastly, there are tons of low mileage caddies in junk yards (wrecked). You can buy them cheaply.
$450 plus install.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I bought a 5 year 100K bumper to bumper with a $50 deductable on my '03 Deville (it had 78k on it when I bought it) for $2200.00. I have used it three times now, twice for ABS sensors (two different sensors) and once for a problem with the auto leveling system. If the numbers on the invoices are correct it has pretty much paid for itself.

So for me it was worth it. But you may also never use it. Some people think they are a huge wast of money but for me, when I buy a used car that has parts that can go bad that can cost as much as the extended warranty, I just buy the warranty. For me the key is getting one that covers everything, not just the powertrain.

Tom
On a luxury car, GMPP is worth it. Buicks almost never break down; no need for GMPP. Forget aftermarket warranties on anything, in my opinion.

I bought a GMPP for an 04 CTS with 23500 miles on it for $800+. 0 Deduct, 40 months, 40,000 extra miles. If I don't use it, future buyer will have some piece of mind when I sell car 2 years from now. Preferred vendors sell GMPP at really low prices. Also, GM employees pay about 30 cents on the dollar for GMPP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts