Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Does anyone have the link to show how to replace the front motor mount?
I will look in my 97 shop manual this evening. May or may not be similar. Also, many garages have Alldata. If you bribe them with a box of donuts, they will print it out for you.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I will look in my 97 shop manual this evening. May or may not be similar. Also, many garages have Alldata. If you bribe them with a box of donuts, they will print it out for you.
My 97 shop manual is missing. Sorry. I will look again tomorrow night, as someone else wants to buy it.

Try another thread; people here are usually very helpful, esp the moderators.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Pretty simple.

1. Raise the front of the vehicle and support by the underbody (not the frame, just behind it).
2. Remove the air deflector under the front, lots of retainers.
3. Remove the 18mm eng mount nut, bottom center of the frame.
4. Disconnect the height sensor links from the control arms.
5. Remove the two front (position #1) frame attaching bolts, 18mm.
-support the engine, it has side mounts holding it, but they're not safe enough.
6. Loosen the position #2 frame bolts 3 turns.
-the front of the frame should be lowered a bit now.
7. Remove two upper mount bracket bolts, 15mm; two lower mount bracket nuts, 15mm;
-and one brace bolt, 15mm at the trans.
8. Pull or pry the frame downward enough to clear the lower mount stud and then
-pull the mount forward to clear the studs in the engine.
9. Now rotate the mount and bracket clockwise to pull the top of the bracket
-out of the bottom first. You'll get it out from here.
* When going back together, bolt the mount and bracket to the block first. Then pry up on the frame to get the 18mm nut on the bottom of the mount and tighten it. Now tighten the position #2 bolts - this will help bring the front of the frame up where you can get the position #1 frame bolts started. Put the rest back together :)

·
Registered
2003 DTS 200k miles
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for detailed instructions. It almost makes me sorry that I'm having a local shop take care of it for me. When no one responded to my post I went ahead with having them fix it. The mount is $150.00 and $100.00 or so for labor.

·
Registered
2003 DTS 200k miles
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good price. You've saved yourself some time and aggravation.
Thanks for not giving me a hard time for not fixing it my self. I like working on my cars. Right now I'm R&R the wires and plugs on my '96 LT1 CE. Big mistake, this is way to much trouble. It's not hard just almost impossible. My hands look I was attacked by a greasy cat!

·
Registered
96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX
172 Posts
By the time you replace the motor mount yourself your whole body would look like you were attacked by a greasy cat! Did one on a 1996 and a 2002. never again! If you had a lift it would be easy, but on your back it is the pits! Beside I can't fit under the car anymore.:bigroll:

·
Registered
2003 DTS 200k miles
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you mention "greasy cat". I just recently used that term to describe what my hands look like because I'm R&R my plugs and wires on my "96 LT1 CE. Here I thought that was my idea!

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
How did you know the mount was bad? I think I have the same problem on my '01. The engine seems to move around a lot and my ground cable ripped itself loose from the alternator bracket.

Jim

·
Registered
2002 DTS - Mystic Bronze
28 Posts
I just dropped my '02 DTS at the dealer for service. The service manager jumped in, shifted from park to drive and immediately said to me you need a new front motor mount. Said he could tell by how it "clunked" into gear.

I had noticed it, but since I bought the car used 1 month ago, had nothing to reference it to, so in other words it was noticable but not overtly obvious to me.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I just dropped my '02 DTS at the dealer for service. The service manager jumped in, shifted from park to drive and immediately said to me you need a new front motor mount. Said he could tell by how it "clunked" into gear.

I had noticed it, but since I bought the car used 1 month ago, had nothing to reference it to, so in other words it was noticable but not overtly obvious to me.
Thanks for the reply.

My mom has an '02 that I can compare it too. I have a squeak when I accelerate and then let off real quick. I think it's the engine moving around. That and the twisted ground cable are probably pretty good indications.

Jim

·
Registered
2002 DTS - Mystic Bronze
28 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer. It is very obvious to me now. Park to drive or to reverse is almost silent with no "clunk" or "thunk", just smooth and near silent.

So go in and out of gear, if it noticeable, you may have an issue.

Now I have a new fluid leak on the driveway, wonder what happened during the repair?

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
My car goes through mounts like crazy..I am on my third in two years.

I know instantly when mine goes bad because of the clunk when going into drive.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I have no clunk. I haven't compared it to my mom's '02 yet but I'm starting to think it's okay. The broken ground cable that I thought might be an indication of a broken mount wasn't twisted, it was cut or pried at. It looks like it was that way for a long time.

I do still have this weird squeak that sounds to me like it corresponds with the engine movement but no clunking.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts