Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yea I thought it was too. I just googled and some random and weird stuff, then I decided to post a thread here cuz I never got bad advice from this site

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
First let's calm down here.... :lol:

If you flip out and start throwing random parts at your car to "try to pass" you might end up causing a problem that will cause it to fail.
Ranger is right, don't worry about snake oil or magic bullets. Head to an inspection station and get the car smogged.

Now let us back up a bit. Your "PPM" is not a thing. That means parts per million and all the gases are pretty much measured in ppm. You have HC (hydro-carbons) CO (carbon monoxide) and NOx (oxides of nitrogen) that will be measured. Which one was close?
On a 4.1 you are usually going to see high NOx.
The issue there is that NOx forms at higher combustion temps (hot engine) and the EGR valve is in charge of handling it. The EGR passages have a tendency to plug on those engines.
Look around and see if you can find procedures on how to clean them. If you can't find anything I might be able to post up something.

From there just go get tested and post up the readings if you fail. I can usually tell from the readings what you need to start with.
If you don't have misfires and the car is running fine, leave it alone.
Replace parts AFTER you fail based on the readings that you get.
Those snake oil salesmen are counting on you being nervous about failing but it really isn't that complicated.
If you have parts that need replaced, magic in a can isn't going to get you through.
Most of the "tricks" out there will actually do more harm to your car than they will help it to pass.

I am an emissions inspector in my state and I am actually in the middle of my 3 year mandatory renewal class time to keep my license.
I'd be happy to help when I have time but I have to have something to go on besides commercially induced fear.
;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok thanks great I'm going to get it smogged Monday morn and ill post the results I was thinking the egr could be the problem and the one of the test I got qa 1037 out of 1039 I belive I don't have the test with me ill try to attach the old pdf verison on here but it was too big.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Another question before I go should I fill it up or that doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks guys I passed . The ppm was higher by two points the tech told me before the next two years come up change the air filter change the oil spark plugs and a cat convertor. I scored 1065 out of 1097 so it went down . I didn't put no fuel cleaner or 89 fuel.. thanks again

21 - 27 of 27 Posts