Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car smogged about 2 years ago and I passed but I was close on one of the numbers. I want some of the secrets to pass smog. I know you put gas cleaner in it and you run 89 gas in the car a couple days before and to go with the car warm and not recently started, and to change the o2 sensor filters which I changed 2 months ago. A oil change, but does the brand or quality of the spark plugs have anything to do with it. Any other suggestions that I haven't wrote could help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm going to get some . Thanks for your quick replies. I have a 1986 cadillac sedan deville 4.1L

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I'm going to get some . Thanks for your quick replies. I have a 1986 cadillac sedan deville 4.1L
heres a pdf of my last smog test . the tech told me that i barely passed cause of the no ppm section. im completely lost on this stuff can someone view my smog test and tell me what could i do to make it better

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
change the o2 sensor filters which I changed 2 months ago.
:hmm: Huh? There is no such thing as an O2 senor filter.
A oil change
An oil change will do nothing to help you pass.
I know you put gas cleaner in it and you run 89 gas in the car a couple days before
Once again, Huh? Where do you come up with this hocus pocus? What the hell is "gas cleaner"? More snake oil. :helpless: All that is needed is for the engine to be hot and in tune with everything working as designed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ment the o2 sensor. Will a tune up help me pass also.

·
Registered
1996 Deville 1985 Fleetwood
74 Posts
Yea I usually go to test only centers I woudn't go to any place that does smog and that does repairs. Don't go to any small time smog places only large ones like california smog test only because they usually have nothing to gain if you fail. A tune up might help, but if its runing fine it probably won't make a difference, make sure your engine bay is nice and clean because I know some techs that would get pissed when they would get dirty and would fail people, make sure all the vacuum hoses, and smog equipment is connected. Might be time for a new cat if you fail? $$$

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
A tune up will help you pass if you NEED a tune up. What makes you think you won't pass? Why are you so worried. Go have it tested and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I haven't got it tuned up in 2 years or so. For example when I got it tuned up I changed the spark plugs. And not the o2 sensor. I changed the belt. I've done my regular filter and oil changes but the tech told me my ppm was close to making me fail. This was the first time I got it smogged 2 years ago. I got a 1093 and the max is 1097. And due to gas prices I been using regular fuel. I know the fuel cleaner and 2 full tanks of 89 gas should fix it . Any other suggestions

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thnks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
O2 sensors are not tuneup items. You change them when they fail and set a DTC. Run whatever fuel is recommended. If 87 is recommended, using premium will accomplish nothing. It is not "cleaner" or "better".

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well I'm not challenging your knowledge cuz this is not the area where I shine really . I keep reading all over the net bout the crc and prem. gas, I'm going to take your advice. What needs to be changed out so I can get the tune up and pass. I know how shops over charge for parts so I usually get the parts and come in and pay labor . I recently changed my air filter 2months ago and my fuel filter, spark plugs 2 yrs ago. Thanks again for all ur help.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
Not sure what CRC means, but do a search for octane and you'll dee what I'm talking about. A tune up on an 86 (4.1?) is plugs. Maybe cap and rotor if needed and wires if needed. Maybe an air filter if needed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I changed out the distributor cap around. Dec last year and I changed the rotor under that if that's what you are refering to .does it matter on the brand of sparg plugs or aany ones will do. Oh I may have mistyped with the crc I ment that guaranteed to pass aka fuel system cleaner

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
Probably could use any plug on the 4.1, but why not stick with A/C Delco.

That's kind of what I thought you mean. You don't need it. It's all hype to transfer money from your pocket to theirs.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's true the stuff does work better overall. Same go for the spark plug wires right. I was reading if the psi on your tires are off it can screw it up . The psi readin on my tires is 40psi tho. So I should be good without changing my filter for my gas

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
That's true the stuff does work better overall. Same go for the spark plug wires right. I was reading if the psi on your tires are off it can screw it up . The psi readin on my tires is 40psi tho. So I should be good without changing my filter for my gas

:bsflag:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,574 Posts
Tire pressure and fuel filter have absolutely nothing to do with emissions. I don't know what in the world you are reading, but put it down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts